1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 1:07 PM by sylvia_intel

DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load

JensRex

I configured my BIOS to disable the onchip graphics, and use my AMD 6950 exclusively. However now I get the [beep beep pause beep beep] code on boot. The computer successfully boots into Windows 8, but I'm unable to access the bios settings, since I have no video output until the OS driver loads.

I updated the BIOS to the latest (0047) which mentions a fix similar to the issue I'm having, but it clearly did nothing to fix it. There's no way for me to reset the bios settings. I tried the business with the bios configuration jumper, but it does nothing. I even tried creating a custom bios using ITK, with altered settings for video, but that had no effect. I've tried using another gfx card to verify it's not an issue with my 6950. No deal.

At this time of writing, I've resorted to ingesting good single malt whisky, and while it eases the mental pain of this ordeal, it does little to mend the technical problems I'm having, and thus I do not percieve it to be a viable long term solution.

• 1. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
          Joshport

I have a similar issue. I have DQ77KB mobo and I do not have any video until the OS loads. I have no beeps, but no speakers either. This happened after I set the secondary video to "none" as my OS kept thinking I had a second monitor. I pulled the mobo battery for 2.5 hours and no luck. I used the recovery jumper setting and put a usb drive with latest bios file, I saw the usb drive light up for a couple seconds then no more activity but waited 15 mins to be sure it was done, still no luck.

How can I reset the secondary video settings to factory original "auto"? Can someone walk me through the keyboard presses? I also did this blindly: F2 for bios, then F9 to restore defaults, then F10 to save & reboot, still no luck. Is there a "Y" or "Enter" command needed in there somewhere, I can not see the Bios!

• 2. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
            Diego_Intel

You could try moving the BIOS jumper from pins 1 and 2 o pins 2 and 3 and power on the system, that will set them as maintenance (configuration) mode, then you can press F9, to set defaults, press Y to accept and then press F10 to save the changes and press Y to accept again. (During this you might not have video as you described, but you could try it just by hitting those keys with that sequence).

As a last option you can clear the CMOS removing the CMOS battery and all power cables from the power supply to the motherboard, leaving the system without power for 20 minutes at least. Then put the battery and cables back and power on.

If the issue persists, you can try a BIOS recovery as instructed here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-023360.htm

• 3. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
              Joshport

Diego_Intel,

Thanks for the blind walk through of the keys to reset defaults with "configuration mode". This method successfully reset my settings!

NOTE for others: The battery pull and recovery mode did not work for me to reset settings (although it did update my bios I can now see, but did not default the settings). I would try the configuration mode suggested above first.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                JensRex

Setting the jumper to 2-3 does nothing. The system does not react to any keypresses, and the OS boots normally. Removing the jumper, causes the intel logo to be displayed, along with the prompts to press F2, F7 or F10, however these keys do nothing. Afterwards, a screen is displayed where I have the options to 1) ignore this screen and continue 2) clear bios passwords 3) clear TPM data. This screen reacts to keypresses, however the options are not relevant to my problem.

Removing the BIOS battery and power for any length of time has so far failed to clear my BIOS settings.

The fact that video is displayed when I remove the jumper, strengthens my suspicion that this problem is the fault of a BIOS bug, since my GFX card demonstrably works without fault.

EDIT: I have also tried the BIOS recovery, which didn't fix things. I also tried downgrading the bios. I even tried flashing a BIOS with custom settings, made with ITK. Nothing worked. This is the most persistent and tenacios BIOS configuration I have ever encountered. Why isn't there a simple "clear cmos" jumper or button on the board, like almost every other motherboard?

• 5. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                  Diego_Intel

jens rex,  you can try to get to the power button menu, to do this, you can press the power button and hold it until you get 3 short beeps. Then the BIOS will display the following prompts:

-[ESC] Normal boot

-[F2]  Intel(R) visual bios    <------ This is the option you need to choose

-[F3]  Disable fast boot

-[F4]  BIOS recovyer

-[F7]  update bios

-[F10] Enter boot menu

-[F12] Network boot

Enter the BIOS and then set the system defaults.

You may also test doing an iFlash BIOS update with the file posted here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22907&ProdId=3603&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType=BIOS

The instructions for this are included in the readme file posted on that same URL

If all that troubleshooting has been done and the issue continues, you should check with your place of purchase to replace this unit if its less than 30 days old or check with your local Intel(R) customer support for a warranty replacement. For contact information please refer to:

http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

• 6. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                    dmnc

This is exactly my problem, I want PCIe card to be primary and only one but even if I set enabled or disabled to IDG and force PCIe or leave auto for primary selection, I have no video until OS starts (at this moment W8). Unfortunately I've set quickboot and now I have to boot from CD, but USB keyboard is not responding (only in open jumper mode, but this is useless) and at this moment even holding PWR during 3 beeps (there's more beeps if you hold PWR longer), I can't use keyboard anymore. My BIOS version is 0047.

So, is there any way how to make PCIe card primary and working before OS boot? (It's Radeon HD 6970)

Thanks, Kind Regards, Vaclav.

edit: by removing PCIe card I was able to enter setup through "power button menu", okay, but video problem still remains.

Btw. These fancy "BIOS" setups are pure evil, I must have a mouse, it's full of bugs (for example once I wasn't able to save and exit "yes" button returned me everytime back to setup), bad UEFI implementations, at this time I have 4 EFI records to my bootloader and I don't know why. So I freaked out and switching back to legacy BIOS (MBR)

... whole time I bought only Intel boards and this last one is the worst one!   (DQ67SW was sweet!)

• 7. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                      Diego_Intel

Have you updated the firmware of the video card you are having issues with?

What other type of video card have you tested with? from what I can see on this thread, this has been just reported on ATI* HD 6000 Series video cards.

• 8. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                        dmnc

Good point Diego, I should check it because its ATI/AMD HD 6970 ... Thank you!

• 9. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                          dmnc

Hi folks, if anybody reading this, please which GFX cards did you tested with? I've got support ticket on Sapphire and trying to resolve this issue there too, but I'm afraid it's not a AMD HD 6000 series problem. Thanks.

• 10. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                            Ianph

I used Nvidia GT540 cards, two different brands. It was not the vid cards causing problems. After dealing with Intel Mainboards for over 10 years, This DH87MC and its BIOS are a disaster . Spent weeks with Intel trying to solve issues.  I will not purchase this model again.

• 11. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                              Diego_Intel

I tested with a Gigabyte Geforce GTX650, Asus* GTX550TI and last a Gigabyte HD 7850 and have have not been able to seen this issue.

I do not have access to a video card with the same series you have, but this may indicate a compatibility problem or issue on the firmware of these card series.

• 12. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                                Brian Wharry

I had this exact same problem.  Thanks to Diego for the power button tip, although I had to try it a few times before it worked.  Without that tip I would have had to return the board because there was nothing else I could do with it.  That tip should definitely be in the user manual!

After I got back into the BIOS, I reconfigured it EXACTLY as I had it before, including disabling onboard video, EXCEPT I disabled UEFI boot.  This was the problem for me.  With UEFI disabled, I was able to get through post without a problem, and the machine has been running perfectly.

Unfortunately, and I don't know if it's related to the boot issue resolution, but after following the above steps (including reloading the BIOS defaults numerous times), my memory sticks are now reporting temperature as being 80+ degrees C upon cold start.  This causes my fans to run fast, and the only solution I could come up with was to tell the BIOS not to take memory temps into account for fan control.  I also maxed out the "normal" temperature settings for the memory.

I thought I might have had bad memory, but using the chips separately produces the same results, and either their temperature sensors coincidentally both went bad simultaneously, or it has something to do with the motherboard.  When I first put everything together and was booting into the BIOS without issue, the motherboard was correctly reporting the memory sticks at ~40 degrees C.

Hope this helps someone.

• 13. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                                  Diego_Intel

Thank you for your feedback on this matter Brian. Are you still having that issue with the memory temperatures? If so, please create a new thread for this so we may discuss further on this and check if this is being seen by other users.

• 14. Re: DH87MC, Video fail beep code, no video until after OS load
                                    Brian Wharry

Hi Diego.  Yes, I'm still having the memory problems.  They happened immediately upon getting back into the BIOS with the power button trick.  I'll start another post.  Thanks.

1 2 Previous Next