6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 7:43 AM by stergios78

Intel DH61DL Bios 0116 freezes when 3TB Seagate connected + TV Card problem

stergios78

Hallo Support Team,

I recently updated my Intel DH61DL from Bios 0048 to 0099 (catastrophic). And now after 0115 to 0116.

My Tevii S471 v.2 pcie x1 TV Card doesn't work any more. Also my Seagate 3TB freezes the system at the beginning.

Until Bios 0048 anything worked like a charme.

Only when i unplug the HDD i can get into the bios. The TV Card ist not populated.

With Linux 14.1 64bit boot from DVD, i see my Intel mini pcie 6235 WIFI BT card, but not my TV Card.

My HDD from Seagate (Barracuda ST3000DM001 7200RPM) worked with GPT created with the older Bios Version and a Linux Mint 14 live CD.

Now I can only with a USB 3.0 Adapter see my data and partitions.

The biggest mess was the 0099 Bios that turned my board into a piece of junk. Only with the genius recovery option it was possible to revive my board.

Thank you Intel for such an easy way to revive a board. The video on youtube with the how to is also very simple.

Now i have the latest 0116 Bios installed, but my drive is still not recognized. Any time I attach the drive, the system freezes on the splash screen from bios (F2, F10 option). The Seagate drive is fine and works perfect on my other computer (via adapter).

What is going wrong? Didn't no one test the bios releases with new hardware (like 3TB HDDs or Intel's own wifi devices)?

I called the phone support (in Germany, spoked with Mr. Reno and than Mr. Nuno) and tested their advice with to start a CMOS reset and load defaults after that. No effect.

The last test is the Hot Plug option (hot plug the HDD on the board after booting to bios). This is not a possible solution. I don't want to risk to destroy my HDD. The idea was from a forum member, from another site.

Here another discussion with freezing system and large 3TB HDD

http://communities.intel.com/thread/38858

I don't want to wait another 2 months hopping for a possible solution (new Bios). After the 0115 release, I was hopping that most of the problems were solved, but I was wrong. Now with 0116 no changes.

Please test the Seagate 3TB in your lab to reproduce the freeze. Other boards have same issues. Don't release any bios updates without any testing.

3TB is no exotic hardware any more.

I regret my decision (upgrade bios for ivy bridge and uefi compatibility). Now my desktop system is 1 1/2 months unusable. Please help me reviving my TV Desktop.

Excuse my terrible English.

Greetings

Stergios

• 1. Re: Intel DH61DL Bios 0116 freezes when 3TB Seagate connected + TV Card problem
          kevin_intel

Hello stergios78,

Based on the problem description you provided, I would like to advice some other troubleshooting steps:

1. Install the latest firmware update for both components: the PCIe card and the Hard Disk Drive.
          2. If the 3TB Hard Disk Drive is the bootable disk, make sure the UEFI feature is enabled at the BIOS level.
          • 2. Re: Intel DH61DL Bios 0116 freezes when 3TB Seagate connected + TV Card problem
            stergios78

Hallo Kevin,

i make it short

1. It dosnt exist firmware for the tv tuner, only driver. And again it is no possible solution for me to flash the firmware on the HDD and risk my data (OS, Software, etc.) Its clearly an error in the bios or a bios bug. Why else so many bios releases for the DH61xx series. I tested today a 500GB drive and it was ok. Its clearly the mess after Bios 0046.
            2. I tested UEFI only and also UEFI with legacy enabled. Nothing worked. Its not even possible to get into the Bios with the 3TB attached. With the WD 500GB (WD5000AAKS) the board boots, but still the tv tuner card is invisible (windows and linux).

Please test the 3TB to reproduce the freeze with Bios 0116.

The system worked like a charm with Bios versions to 0046. After it nothing worked perfect again (0099, 0115, 0116 tested). Bios 0099 was the biggest mess. Only Black Screen and nothing more. Only after the second recover i could revive the board .

So let us resume: System was ok until 0046 = Many Bios Versions in a short time period after new feature support in 0099 = Buggy Bios Versions created from Intel = System boots with smaller drive, but tv card still missing = no need for risk my data with an firmware update

Please reproduce at least the 3TB bug. Forget the TV its not necessary for daily work, like the HDD.

Greetings

Stergios

• 3. Re: Intel DH61DL Bios 0116 freezes when 3TB Seagate connected + TV Card problem
              stergios78

Hallo support Team,

have some interesting news:

After installing the OS on the 500GB HDD and Hotplug the 3TB on the SATA Controller after Windows 7 Start, the 3TB HDD is working. So the problem exists only during the booting period of the board.

Also Hotplug within Linux is possible.

Did you find any solution, or did you have any ideas?

Greetings

Stergios

• 4. Re: Intel DH61DL Bios 0116 freezes when 3TB Seagate connected + TV Card problem
                kevin_intel

Hello stergios78,

I am still checking. I am trying to reproduce it from our side with the same components. I will keep you posted.

• 5. Re: Intel DH61DL Bios 0116 freezes when 3TB Seagate connected + TV Card problem
                  stergios78

Thank you Kevin,

nice to here that the engineer try to reproduce the problem.

Until than I installed on the 500GB my Second OS to have access via Hot Plug to my other data.

My other components installed:

Intel i5-3450s

8GB = 2x 4GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2

Intel Centrino Advanced N 6235 + BT 4.0

NEC Optiarc AD7280S

I removed the tv card and tested it in another board from a good friend (Asus P8H67M-LX). The card was recognized and worked with the i3-2125 perfect. I could watch DVB-S without any problems on his pc.

Thank you in advance

Stergios

• 6. Re: Intel DH61DL Bios 0116 freezes when 3TB Seagate connected + TV Card problem
                    stergios78

Hallo Support Team,

I asked the seagate support and their is no new firmware for the drive since the version from 2012-05-29.

Version of Firmware: CC4H

Productnumer: ST3000Dm001

Serialnumber:  S1F10WJT

Partnumber:    9YN166-500

Family: BARRACUDA 7200.14 FAMILY

After a little bit testing with an other machine (Asrock P8H67-M LX), I booted with the 3TB in it and the system booted fine. Only 2 Hardware changes (Ethernet and Wifi). Everything else worked out from the box.

So I am sure now that the UEFI Bios is incompatible with the 3TB Seagate drive.

Greetings

Stergios