1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 10:47 AM by sylvia_intel

Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?

Silverfox11407

Asking this question since i have read where folks have been having issues with the latest Nvidia GTX cards like the GTX 780 and the 770 not being compatible with various Intel Motherboards. I have no intentions of updating the motherboard to the latest Intel Bios since folks are also complaining about that being a problem.

The below are my specs and i want to upgrade the present Nvidia 560ti which working fine to the EVGA GTX 770.

Case: CM Storm Enforcer Midtower/ USB3.0

CPU : i7-2600K

Mobo: Intel DZ68BC Extreme

Ram : Corsair Vengeance pc1600/ 16gb

Video: EVGA Nvidia GTX 560ti

HDD: SSD 120GB Intel 520 series & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Black

Pwr.Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650watt Gold Rated 80+

CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO

Fans: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 120mm rear exhaust

NZXT Sentry Mesh 5.25 Bay Fan controller

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X DVD Burner

LG WH12LS30K 12X Bluray Burner/Player

AFT USB 3.0 Multi-Card reader 5.25 Bay

Monitor :  LG 27EA83R-D  2560 x 1440p

Thanks for any replys,

• 1. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
          sylvia_intel

Hello Silverfox 11407,

As far as we know, if customer are experiencing compatibility issues with the motherboard and the video card,  our recommendation will be to get the latest firmware for your video card.

You may want to check the information from the following forum:
          http://communities.intel.com/thread/41933

Regards.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
            ritchieg

Hi Sylvia

This is off-topic but on the same DZ68BC Intel desktop board.

Just wanted to let you know that the system and this board was running well since earlier this year, but now we are having a hang issue again. We have a GTX 460 series video card.

All I did was to completely disconnect all external cables last Friday, open up both side panels, and tidy up the internal cables. The only change I made was the BR optical drive from a Marvell port to one of the black SATA-II ports. No other drives was or is using the Marvell ports.

The only other thing that was changed was the USB connections to the rear of the case - some were connected to different ports than before and a few of them I deliberately wanted to change.

When I powered back up again, I logged into the admin account first to let everything reconfigure which went fine, but after restarting when prompted I now find that I get occasional freezes when running programs, after an hour or two of use. All I can do is to eventually press the reset button or hold down the power button to power off. This I did not have before, and as you know should not start occurring because of what I did.

This is the feeling I am getting from others who have posted about this board on these forums. The ones who are mostly leaving the hardware configuration alone and are just using the board and system report lesser problems while those who change components in an attempt to troubleshoot the problems they are experiencing seem to bring out the instabilities that people claim have plagued the BIOS for this board since the 3x revisions and are hoping the next release will resolve.

Now I am hoping this instability will settle again soon (as I find that it seems to with this board after a while) but have also been keeping an eye out for the next BIOS revision that will hopefully stop these problems from occurring in the first place.

Many including myself would have not purchased this board if they knew it was to cause such trouble and some would not be buying an Intel board again.

Just wanted to let you know that this has been my experience.

• 4. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
              ritchieg

Hi Sylvia - thanks for replying

All mentioned components are already at latest version - especially the ME.

Did you withdraw a recent version of the ME because in Programs and Features in Win 7 64 Bit (with all latest updates at SP1 installed) my ME version is the 8 ending with 1252, but when I call up the board, Win 7 64 Bit and Drivers on your site the version 1248 is shown as the latest? Note your link provided in your post for ME was broken (the BIOS link worked OK except I am already at version 39 which is the latest at present).

As I stated, I am fairly sure from my experiences and from other's on this website that the 3x BIOS revisions for this BIOS are unstable - I am hoping the board will settle again as it seems to but ultimately everyone is expecting a new stable BIOS and with revision 39 being a year ago, this is well overdue.

• 5. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
                sylvia_intel

Ritchie, we already notified our engineering team about this situation. 

As soon as I receive any information I will provide the answer on this thread.

Please let me know the following information:

Are you able to use the onboard video without problems?

Have you tried any other video card?

Processor model:

Memory model:

BIOS version:

Video card model:

Regards.

• 6. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
                  ritchieg

Hi Sylvia

I was having the freezing problem from Friday 28th June until Friday 5th July when I posted my original response in this thread. Since that post, we have not had the freezing again so it seems the system may have stabilised as I have described that it seems to do after any changes to the hardware configuration. Prior to my post it seemed to freeze every couple of days.

However as far as the video goes, before I added this card which came from our previous PC, (early 2012) the stability of the system was the same except that obviously the video performance was nowhere near as good.

Board: DZ68BC                                       CPU: Core 2700K   BIOS: 39

RAM: Kingston Hyperx 4 X 4GB              Video: Gain GTX 460 1GB Latest Drivers

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 128GB MAX IOPS   PSU: Antec 1200 Watt

SSD Also has latest firmware.

Hope this helps you look into this.

• 7. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
                    sylvia_intel

I'm glad to know that at least you are not having the freezing issue anymore.

I will include the information you provided to the report I sent yesterday to the Engineering team.

• 8. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
                      ritchieg

Hi Sylvia

Just had a couple more freezes - while doing video editing with Nero Video 12.

A couple of weeks ago this also worked perfectly.

No programs have been uninstalled or installed - the system just responded badly to the S-ATA and USB cables being tidied up and reconnected.

Ritchie

• 9. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
                        sylvia_intel

Ritchie,

Thanks for the information. As I told you before, we already sent all this information to the Engineering team.

In the mean time, can you please test your system out of the chassis, using minimum configuration in order to discard a grounding issues and also narrow down the problem.

Regards.

• 10. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
                          ritchieg

Hi Sylvia

Sorry for the delay but we have been troubleshooting the system and while the results were good, wanted to wait and see if it stayed that way before I posted.

As I said, before I went inside the system at the end of June it was running stable and as I had not been removing or installing components, I knew that no screws or foreign objects could have been dropped inside the case that could be contacting components and causing a grounding issue like you suggested.

Therefore I focused my troubleshooting efforts with the system assembled inside the case.

What prompted me to do the following is that we actually started getting blue screens followed by automatic restarts, and my experience is that these are usually caused by failing hardware or occasionally O/S or program corruption.

I started by replacing the power supply with a known good spare, which had no effect. This was good because the normal PSU is the 1200 Watt Antec which is a very good PSU and should not be failing, especially since we also run the system of a UPS.

Logically I could not see why any other component should be causing BSOD, except that we had never been 100% confident in the stability of the video card. When I removed this and started running with the on-board HDMI the system started running a lot better, running smoother and more responsively. For example a half second delay after you clicked the x button to close IE or some other applications (an intermittent behaviour) disappeared and now this feels instantaneous as it should be.

So the freezing had disappeared after this. I did get one shutdown freeze where the progress circle/wheel in Win 7 stopped turning as it was shutting down, and with video editing in Nero we still had a BSOD after a half hour or so, but it was already a lot better.

The shutdown freeze and blue screening prompted me to do the following software cleanup.

1. System Restore to one week prior to removing video card, to refresh system files.

2. Uninstall video card driver software and Intel video, Intel Audio, Intel Networking and Intel Chipset software.

3. Install Intel Chipset software and then latest Intel video, audio and networking software.

End result to date (since above three steps done Friday 19th July):

* Mouse movement and scrolling of documents and web pages feels smooth again.

* No more system freezes or shutdown freezes.

* On several evenings system has been used for video editing in Nero 12 Video up to 2 or 3 hours at a time and a couple of nights ago we got 1 BSOD after over 2 hours of editing.

I still believe the BSOD should not happen and that software should produce normal Windows GUI errors so I am suspecting there could still be an O/S issue that the video card has caused over time and that it may be necessary to reinstall Windows.

As the system is sometimes used for video intensive tasks I will be sourcing another high end graphics adaptor to install into the system, and putting back in the Antec PSU which has the wattage to drive it properly, but can say that we are surprised at how well the on-board video on these Intel mainboards manages with these kind of tasks.

If Engineering can still release a BIOS that addresses the stability issues in the 3x BIOS versions that users have complained about in these forums and the other issues such as UFI BIOS I am sure many DZ68BC board users who keep an eye on these forums would appreciate this, having been a long time coming.

Thanks Sylvia - Will keep you posted on any further developments; hopefully these issues will not resurface and my updates can be positive.

• 11. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
                            sylvia_intel

Ritchie

I really appreciate all the information provided and again I'm glad to know that you got your system to work using the onboard video.

At this point all we can provide you is the following work-around but you will need 2 video cards. One of them needs to be fully compatible with the motherboard.

1. Put both video cards (new and old) on the motherboard.

2. Physically connect the monitor cable to the old video card and in BIOS set it to boot from old video card. (This will allow the computer to boot into Windows)

3. Download and install the latest video card’s driver. (reboot if necessary)

4. While Windows is active, disconnect the monitor cable from the old video card and connect to the new video card.

At soon as we received a resolution we will notify all users.

Regards.

• 12. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
                              ritchieg

Hi Sylvia

Thanks for your response but there is no need for the workaround you describe.

I do not have two known good suitable video cards to do what you suggest and all I need to do is purchase a suitable video card that is fully compatible and suitable for our purposes, and install it normally.

To clarify:

* The system was working with the video card we removed - it only was unstable which resulted in freezing and blue screening but Windows was still usable.

* Therefore the video card we had was faulty and the on-board video is a temporary measure until we purchase and install a replacement video card.

* The system will accept a working video card installed as one would install it normally.

The only question is whether the O/S has been corrupted because of a faulty video card installed, so I may have to reinstall the O/S and other software because of this.

Thanks again,

Ritchie

• 13. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
                                ritchieg

Hi Sylvia

Thanks for your response but there is no need for the workaround you describe.

I do not have two known good suitable video cards to do what you suggest and all I need to do is purchase a suitable video card that is fully compatible and suitable for our purposes, and install it normally.

To clarify:

* The system was working with the video card we removed - it only was unstable which resulted in freezing and blue screening but Windows was still usable.

* Therefore the video card we had was faulty and the on-board video is a temporary measure until we purchase and install a replacement video card.

* The system will accept a working video card installed as one would install it normally.

The only question is whether the O/S has been corrupted because of a faulty video card installed, so I may have to reinstall the O/S and other software because of this.

Thanks again,

Ritchie

• 14. Re: Will the DZ68BC work with a GTX 770 Video Card ?
                                  ritchieg

Dear Sylvia

Just another update on the situation.

Since removing the video card and performing the software cleanup as I described the system has been running noticeable better, but not as 100% expected yet.

When used for Nero Video editing with the on-board video we do get a BSOD reboot complaining of a crash at least every one or two days. Often several hours of video editing is done at a time and sometimes the BSOD can occur after half an hour or sometimes over 2 or 3 hours of video can be done at once on the day before a crash occurs.

I do not believe there is any other hardware at fault in the system and that there is some O/S or programs/setting corruption in the system that is causing this; either that or the BIOS instabilities in the 3x version BIOSs for this DZ68BC board that many users complained of a lot last year - I am at version 39.

I intend to test the former by reformatting and reinstalling the O/S, all board chipset software and drivers, all Microsoft Updates and Nero 12 with all updates and I expect that even with the on-board video that the system will run properly.

If I still do have the problem then I will have to say that I am most disappointed that BIOS versions that people were complaining about a year ago have not been addressed and that it has been a year since the latest BIOS which means that Intel has not even produced a BIOS update that attempts to address and solve the issues that people have been complaining about.

One only needs to do a search under desktop boards for the DZ68BC board and there are discussions full of people's dissatisfactions with the latest and 3x series BIOS revisions for this board.

However in the meanwhile I will report back on the results of my present course of action - assuming I go ahead as described it may be at least a week until I do so and as a result it may be a couple of weeks until I know results to post here.

Ritchie

1 2 Previous Next