4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2013 2:40 PM by spearson

INTEL DN2800MT- BIOS IS NOT MONITORING FAN SPEED

Deep84

I HAVE INSTALLED A 3 PIN COOLING FAN ON THE SYSTEM FAN HEADER. BUT IN THE BIOS THE RPM SHOWS {0} ZERO..I HAVE WINDOWS 7 WITH THE LATEST UPDATES TOO..AND ALSO THE BI/OS IS UPDATED ON THE BOARD..I ALSO TRIED 3RD PARTY SOFTWARES LIKE SPEEDFAN BUT STILL SAME RESULTS..PLEASE HELP MEE RESOLVE THE ISSUE..

THANKS AND REGARDS.

• 1. Re: INTEL DN2800MT- BIOS IS NOT MONITORING FAN SPEED
          joe_intel

Hello Deep84,

Have you tested this fan in different fan headers or different system just to make sure it is not the fan?

If the issue is not caused by the fan then you may want to reset or update the BIOS.

BIOS update instructions

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-022312.htm

Otherwise, you may contact your local Intel® support team.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support

• 2. Re: INTEL DN2800MT- BIOS IS NOT MONITORING FAN SPEED
            spearson

Deep84,

If the fan speed reading is zero, the fan is not providing recognizable tachometer pulses on its 3rd wire. I would try using a different fan. If it continues to report a speed of zero, there has likely been damage to the board. If, on the other hand, the second fan garners you non-zero readings, the first fan is broken and should be discarded...

...S

• 3. Re: INTEL DN2800MT- BIOS IS NOT MONITORING FAN SPEED
              Deep84

HELLO,

THANKS FOR YOUR TIMELY SUPPORT.. I HAVE CHANGED THE FAN AND THE NEW FAN IS SHOWING SPEED OF 1140 AVERAGE.. IS THAT ALL RIGHT ?..MY PREVIOUS FANS WERE NOT MONITORED BUT THEY WERE PRETTY FAST AND THE TEMPERATURES WERE LOWER THAN THIS NEW FAN..

AS IN MEMORY TEMP WAS 40 , NOW ITS 45, AND MOST OF THE OTHER TEMP HAVE INCREASED BY 2 - 4 DEGREES (ALL RECORDINGS WHEN PC IS IDLE).. WHAT SHOULD I DO ???..PLEASE HELP

• 4. Re: INTEL DN2800MT- BIOS IS NOT MONITORING FAN SPEED
                spearson

Deep84,

I think that this temperature is just fine; it is when your processor is under load that I would be more concerned about the temperature. Still, if you would like to lower the idle temperature, you can to do in BIOS Setup. The process is  as follows:

1. Shutdown and power off your system.

3. Power system back on. Immediately begin hitting the F2 key and continue to do so (about once per second), until you see the initial BIOS Setup screen appear (note: if the Windows startup screen appears, you missed the window of opportunity and will need to start the process again).

2. Once you get into BIOS Setup, select Configuration (move right using right arrow key; if you go too far, you can use left arrow key to move left; when you get to this entry, press the Enter key).

3. Select Fan Control & Real-Time Monitoring (move down using down arrow key; if you go too far, you can use up arrow key to move back up; when you get to this entry, press the Enter key).

4. Select System (System Header) Fan Speed (move down using down arrow key; when you get to this entry, press the Enter key).

5. Select Minimum Duty Cycle field (move down using down arrow key; when you get to this entry, press the Enter key).

6. Use the "+" key to increase the value. If you go too far, you can use the "-" key to decrease the value.

7. When you have the value you want, press the Enter key to leave edit mode.

8. Press the F10 key to save settings and exit BIOS Setup. When the Exit Saving Changes prompt is displayed, press the "y" key.

9. Let the system boot Windows. Wait for a while for Windows to get to the idle state and then check temperatures...

The default value for the Minimum Duty Cycle is 30%. I would try 40%. If this provides to be not enough, try 50%, etc...

...S