3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 3:47 PM by TomHorsley

Is this the Z87 USB 3.0 bug or something else?

TomHorsley

My brand new system with an Asus Sabertooth Z87 does not see any sign that my Western Digital USB 3.0 external drive exists after I reboot my system (running Fedora 18 linux with a 3.9 kernel).

If I power off the USB drive and power it back on, then it appears as if I just plugged it in.

If I power off both the computer and the USB drive, power on the USB drive, then power up the computer, the drive appears just fine.

So it certainly sounds as if the kernel is doing something to the USB drive to render it invisible when I reboot, which also sounds a lot like the suspend problem in the Z87 chipset that I've read articles about recently. Just wondering if anyone knows for sure if this is really the same problem?

• 1. Re: Is this the Z87 USB 3.0 bug or something else?
          kevin_intel

Hello TomHorsley,

This is a very interesting behavior on your system and I will notify the corresponding department.

In the meantime there are some troubleshooting steps I would like to try or to know if have been done.

1. Can you try any other USB 3.0 device to confirm if issue persists?
          2. Have you tried updating the External HDD firmware?
          3. Can you install the latest Microsoft* updates in order to install the USB 3.0 drivers?
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is this the Z87 USB 3.0 bug or something else?
            TomHorsley

I should have said I'm running fedora 18 linux, not windows, but I do have all the fedora updates, so should have the latest usb 3.0 linux drivers.

I'll check and see if there is any new firmware for the disk itself available.

Unfortunately, it is the only USB 3.0 device I have, so I can't test anything else.

• 3. Re: Is this the Z87 USB 3.0 bug or something else?
              TomHorsley

I've found a windows box, updated the firmware on the external drive, and have just finished rebooting a couple of times while the drive was mounted, and fedora correctly discovered the drive after each reboot, so I guess whatever bug this was, the new firmware fixed it. Thanks for the idea, I might never have thought to look for new drive firmware otherwise.