1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 2:38 PM by joe_intel

Is there a source that clarifies the processor morass?

FatBear

OK, so there are all these technologies, Ivy Bridge and Haswell and such.  And there are iX and Xeon eX.  Is it even possible to make an informed decision, should I wish to select a processor and build a system around it?

I usually buy from Dell.  (Before that I was actually a system engineer at a manufacturer of business computers, when business computers occupied multiple racks.)  But I have decided that I will build my own system this summer.  A desktop.  So I went to Dell and looked at their top of the line Precision desktop and saw what they are using for a processor.  It's a Xeon e5-1650.  I thought I would see how that stands in the current Intel lineup and I got all confused.  It is apparently an older process, demanding more power.  Or is that really it?  I see that Dell says it has 6 cores, 12 threads.  Then I found a list of Haswell processors and the Xeon lineup says they all have 4 cores, 8 threads.  So have I found an incomplete list?  Or do the number of cores and threads have no relevance?  If not, why make such a big deal about them?  Information seems to be all scattered about.  Can anyone point me to some way to compare all of these things?  I would really like to select a motherboard which will be useful for a long time and upgradeable well into the future.  As Intel moves into the future, the highest rated Haswell, or Broadwell, if those are backward compatible with the Haswell chipset, will eventually become more affordable.  Before they disappear I could upgrade to that and get a few more years out of the system.

My objective is a system that never needs be thrown away.  Dell computers have non-standard boxes and motherboards and are not really upgradable.  I'm sure that works well for them because it transfers more money from my tiny little bank account to their every increasingly gigantic one.  I get tired of using a PC for a few years, then tossing it because the video dies or a fan starts making noise and it just isn't worth fixing.  If this works out, I will never feel that it is a waste of money to replace something.  As long as Intel (or someone?) is making an ATX-whatever form factor motherboard,  I should be able to replace it when the chipset I select has run out of future.  In the mean time, I can replace a drive or power supply or upgrade a video card and know that I won't be flushing that investment next month when something else major dies.  I would hope to just keep replacing and upgrading for a long time.

But that means I must select the right chipset to get started with.  Any help out there?

Thank you!