4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 10:53 AM by sylvia_intel

Length of hardware support for Intel products

alasdair555

Hello,

This question is a general question about how long users of Intel products should expect to be supported, in particular with driver updates, bug fixes, new operating systems etc.

As some background to the reason for asking this question, I currently have an Atom N2800, which is in the position of having support withdrawn prior to me actually buying this from a mainstream supplier. Intel's business strategy seems contrary to not only good practice but also questionable in any form. I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences of Intel's support and also from Intel themselves on what they feel is an appropriate length of time for keeping hardware usable with the latest software and OSs'.

As a side note I may point this post to the European consumer rights organisation as I progress with my complaint with them: Consumer Affairs

Thank you for your time.

Alasdair

• 1. Re: Length of hardware support for Intel products
          nic

Hi Alasdair555,

Sorry for the delay in providing you a response.  The hardware support for the Intel® Atom™ Processor N2800 is provided by the manufacturer of the system that contains the part, not Intel®.  For driver/software support, I will refer you to the ReadMe included with every driver provided for that CPU.  http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22633/eng/Installation_Readme.txt

Specifically, from the ReadMe; "EXCLUSION OF OTHER WARRANTIES.  EXCEPT AS PROVIDED ABOVE, THE SOFTWARE  IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANY KIND INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Intel does not warrant or assume responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of any information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within the Software."

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT SHALL INTEL OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR LOST INFORMATION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF INTEL HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS PROHIBIT EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER LEGAL RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.

Thank you,

-Nic

• 2. Re: Length of hardware support for Intel products
            VinceDisapointedIntelCustomer

I'm repeating here my negative feedback on this Intel hardware : GMA 3600 (Graphic Media Accelerator 3600 series, for Atom N2800 processor), there is no driver for this chip supporting the modern UI (metro apps) on Windows 8 OS 32-bits (don't even think about using 64-bits version of Windows on this hardware), and it won't be (that what I understood by reading Intel's answers on many topics that concern this subject).

Microsoft and Intel are making a lot of mess with this GMA 3600's problem on metro apps (actual driver version is 1091). I had to move from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 8 32-bit because you can't purchase Windows 7 licence anymore (Windows 7 starter is totally inefficient). I could use Windows 8 32-bits on desktop mode only because of Intel GMA 3600. Now it's time for upgrading Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and you can only do this on the metro apps Windows Store... I could wait for somebody to discover a way to make work this chip, but the offer for upgrading from Windows 8 licence to Windows 8.1 will expire in January 2014.

Microsoft and Intel together against the customers to make you buy new device by artificially obsoleting a notebook that I bought 9 months ago. Thanks a lot ! And thanks to Asus that provide Eee PC 1025CE with Windows 7 Starter, this things is useless since I bought it and could have been great if it wasn't so painful to gain the right combination. It will be very soon easier to work on Linux OS with AMD/NVidia hardware !

Actually Lubuntu is doing very well on this Eee PC.

I hope I won't need Windows and Intel again !

• 3. Re: Length of hardware support for Intel products
              Steven284

I felt good about Intel, my original regret was, I wished they installed more Intel components. I ended up buying what I could find - not what I needed. Just wish I could of used it from Intel. I have several Desktop and Notebook Computers.

I reasoned why - How many companies buy these products, with components that are not fully supplied with the software that people are waiting for, because I see this example, Intel makes all these components thousands of them, yet not fully able to use them, because they need to provide the software, thousands of people would be waiting for, some are available, there are hundreds of people in plain sight, about being not being available, yet you never hear of the others, they either send it back to the store, or supplier, or something else, or stop using the components.

I try to buy a Notebook Computer containing the most Intel components inside, therefore I can guess why its not a fully Intel computer, Intel does not fully support its own products, thereby depriving us of the thrill of owning a computer with many Intel components with 32bit and 64bit software - the hardware is 32bit/64bit maybe manufacturers are not allowed to write software, that its only customized software by Intel.

I bought a HP mini 210-2277nr with Intel Atom 550 and Intel GMA 3150 that is fully capable of 32bit or 64bit yet its memory is only 2GB - with great performance at 64bit, far better than 32bit. The only software not available at HP was 32bit/64bit GMA 3150 Graphics, its great - it was available at Intel and several other newer updates.

Then I buy a HP mini 210-4000cto that HP and Intel supplies, 32bit/64bit software, except for these 2, one HP software and one Intel software - HP Insyde Software 32bit/64bit BIOS, and the third party software was simple enough to make for Intel GMA 3600 using Intel N2800 CPU - it works, yet wished Intel did it, it was simple enough, yet I trust Intel quality for performance to double check it. Perhaps its best to pay for what I need, if its the way to get what I need - if the price is right, there is no problem using Intel quality software, that is already available - if possible.

• 4. Re: Length of hardware support for Intel products
                sylvia_intel

Steven284,    it is very important to keep in mind that Intel sells motherboards and processors to various OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturers), who integrate them, with other system components (power supplies, disk drives, add in cards, software, memory, etc). These motherboards and processors may be customized to the OEM's specifications.

In additional to that, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) can add, remove, alter or change features in the controller drivers according to their system designs.

That is the reason why customers need to contact the OEM for support.

We do provide support to our BOX or retail products through telephone, chat, email and forums.