6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 11:22 AM by TrishaB

SS4000-E format hard disk problem

TrishaB

I have a SS4000-E that has been in service for about 4 years, it works great and does everything we need it to do.  However I had a hard disk fail and I cannot get a new disk to be recognized by the unit.  I am running Raid 5, 750G disks, and no matter what I try I cannot get the unit to recognize a new disk.  I have tried 3 - I moved a current WORKING disk to the bay that I am having trouble with (to confirm the bay hasn't' had an issue and stopped working).  The raid works fine and moving the current disk to that bay simply resulted in that disk in the raid being changed to a status of "rebuilding" while the other two disks left that are working show a status of Raid 5 (all as it should be).  I used "HD Tune PRO" to test the new disks - no problems there. 

Can someone give me a step by step on w hat I need to do to get the SS4000-E to recognize a new disk?

btw, new disk info:

Seagate (certified repaired HDD)

Barracuda 7200.12 750GB

S/N 9VPCCEH2

ST3750528AS

All help appreciated --

Thanks!4000-E Format

• 1. Re: SS4000-E format hard disk problem
          john_s@intel

TrishaB,

With the system running and the new disk not inserted, if you insert the new disk (the SS4000 does support hot-swapping disks) can you hear the new disk power up when it is inserted? Does the disk indicator light turn green after about 10 seconds?

If it doesn't power up, that will be a reason for not being recognized. If it does power up and is still not recognized, it could be that the drive itself isn't supported by the SS4000.

You can see a list of supported disk drives for the SS4000 in the Tested Hardware and Operating System List. Unfortunately that list is getting old (February 2008) and many of those drives may no longer be available.

Regards,

John

• 2. Re: SS4000-E format hard disk problem
            TrishaB

Hello John,

With the system running if I insert the new disk the drive light does not turn green.  If it powers up I cannot really tell, being in a server room w/fans and A/C it is hard to tell....I tested the port by moving one of the working disks into it, and yes, it powers up and turns green (then rebuilds the disk because its Raid 5).

I did check the Tested Hardware list, the disk is not specifically on it, however the make, model, p/n lead me to believe that they might fall into the Similar Drive category.  I am having a hard time finding disks on the tested list because they seem to be no longer available.  I know these disks may not work in the long run, however I would dearly love to have someone tell me how to format the disk so I can be certain that it isn't working BECAUSE the disk won't work, not because its formatted incorrectly.

• 3. Re: SS4000-E format hard disk problem
              john_s@intel

Trisha,

You're not going to be able to format the drive independently in the SS4000.

I recommend checking with Seagate to see what tools they have for formatting a disk drive. The Seagate Barracuda Family website has a couple interesting links you might find helpful: The BIOS does not detect or recognize the ATA / SATA hard drive and How Do I Low-Level Format a SATA or ATA (IDE) Hard Drive?

There's also a SeaTools site that may have some of the same information.

Regards,

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: SS4000-E format hard disk problem
                TrishaB

John,

Thanks for the advice - I will be reviewing the Barracuda site today, as well as putting out feelers to see if I can lay my hands on some drives that ARE on the Tested Hardware and Operating System List  .  Between these two I hope to have the SS4000-E running smoothly again soon!

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: SS4000-E format hard disk problem
                  john_s@intel

Trisha,

One piece of advise, please backup your system. See our Planning for the worst case: the importance of a backup solution site for reasons.

Good Luck,

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: SS4000-E format hard disk problem
                    TrishaB

ok, got my hands on a disk that is on the list and everything went smoothly.  So although disk is similar in every way if its not on the list it wont work. 

Thanks for the help!