3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 1:50 PM by Jaymo

    SCS Add-On for Microsoft SCCM unable to install


      Whilst trying to install SCS add-on i get the following in the log: SCCMConfig.Domain.SCCMProbingException: Cannot detect SCCM Installation folder. Attempted: D:\SMS

      How can I get this to point to my actual SCCM installation?

        • 1. Re: SCS Add-On for Microsoft SCCM unable to install

          I've got the same problem here.
          It seems that the Add-on-Installer checks the first entry it finds in the

          hklm\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_Site_Component_Manager\Component Servers


          I our case there are three entrys and the first is a Reporting-Server and not our Primary-Site.
          In the reporting-Server Folder the Installation Directory is set to D:\SMS.
          After renaming the Regfolder of the Reporting-Server for testing, the Add-On started but now gives the error message that the Hardware-Inventory is not updated but the sms_def.mof is imported already.

          In our first Test-scenario without any other servers the installation worked just fine.

          Perhaps you can confirm this observation and check if you have the same case?


          A work around could be to install the Add-on on a single testserver, look at the created collections and tasksequences and implement them by hand. Not funny but it seems to work for us.

          • 2. Re: SCS Add-On for Microsoft SCCM unable to install

            Thanks for the reg entry. We also have multiple component servers and the first in the list was a plain deployment point, so I edited the  "Installation Directory" value and made it the same as my Site server's "Installation Directory" value. The installation worked and completed. I then set the DP's "Installation Directory" value back to what is was. I did not get an error with Hardware like you did.




            Greg Polen

            Texas A&M University

            • 3. Re: SCS Add-On for Microsoft SCCM unable to install

              Thanks for the information provided, it pointed me in the right direction but did not solve my issue.


              I ended up using procmon to determine the process below and implement a solution that worked for me.


              The Installer will ...

              1. Enumerate all subkeys in the path above [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_Site_Component_Manager\Component Servers]
              2. Sort all subkeys by length and then name [SITE-FSP1.domain.com is Index0, SITE-MP1.domain.com is Index1 and SITE-PS1.domain.com is Index2]
              3. Look for both components in each Index in sequence and stops as soon as it finds the first match. [SMS_EXECUTIVE and SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER]
              4. Reads Installation Directory string for path


              To resolve my issue I created a new subkey called SITE-AAA1.domain.com and populated with the details below..


              HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER\Component Servers\SITE-AAA1.DOMAIN.COM\Installation Directory

              Type: REG_SZ

              Data: E:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager [Change this to your installation folder]



              HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER\Component Servers\SITE-AAA1.DOMAIN.COM\Components

              Name: SMS_EXECUTIVE


              HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER\Component Servers\SITE-AAA1.DOMAIN.COM\Components

              Name: SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER


              Hope this helps the next person and saves them some time.


              Intel, please use SMS_SITE_CONTROL_MANAGER instead of SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER since not everyone keeps the default distribution point created during install on the primary site server.