8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 11:37 AM by Diego_Intel

Raid1 "Error Occurred(0)" on Good Drive After Replacing SMART Event Drive

Jeff11

Hello,

I have an Intel RAID1 setup in a Gateway FX530 computer.

I have been experiencing Blue Screens recently and was led to the conclusion that the problem could be with one of the drives. I restarted the system and entered the RAID configuration menu. One of the drives was indicated as having a SMART Event(0).

After some searching online, I thought it would probably be best to replace the drive which was indicated as having the SMART event.

After replacing the drive and restarting the system, I initiated the rebuild process from the RAID setup menu.

Long story short... there have been several additional Blue Screen shutdowns. (None with the iastor message.)

Looking at the RAID configuration menu, the drive which was part of the original RAID1 setup is indicated as "Error Occurred(0)" in the setup menu, with the RAID status as "Degraded".

I'm interested in knowing if this is common. Do I now need to replace the second original drive? (The new drive was a Seagate that was similar to the one removed. It was the same type of drive (SATA), and the size was the same (931.5GB); but it was a different height (thinner). I asked at BestBuy when I purchased it and was told that as long as it is SATA and the same size I should be good.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jeff

• 1. Re: Raid1 "Error Occurred(0)" on Good Drive After Replacing SMART Event Drive
          Jeff11

Hi,

Any thoughts on why the Intel RAID setup utility would show a drive good previously (when a SMART message was displayed for the 2nd drive in the RAID1 array), and then show the same drvie as "Error Occurred(0)" after the drive a new drive was installed in place of the drive with the SMART message?

Thanks

Jeff

• 2. Re: Raid1 "Error Occurred(0)" on Good Drive After Replacing SMART Event Drive
            Diego_Intel

Please post the system report generated by the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology. Information on how to get this report is available at:

Intel� Rapid Storage Technology (Intel� RST) — System reports

• 3. Re: Raid1 "Error Occurred(0)" on Good Drive After Replacing SMART Event Drive
              Jeff11

Hello Diego,

Below is the report from the RAID utility on the computer in question. (Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for part of the week.)

Please note that the hard drive which is indicated as being Hard Drive 1, and which shows as failed, is the hard drive that was shown as good a week ago. Hard Drive 0 is the hard drive that was replaced, and which was rebuilt by the RAID utility. (The new hard drive was installed in the system.)

Why is the hard drive which was indicated as being good a week ago, and is now indicated as failed?

Here's the text of the report:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Information

Kit Installed: 6.2.1.1002
              Kit Install History: 6.2.1.1002
              Shell Version: 6.2.1.1002

OS Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business
              OS Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
              System Name: NEWTECHFX530
              System Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
              System Model: OEMD975XBGG1
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU           @ 2.66GHz
              BIOS Version/Date: Intel Corp. LA97510J.15A.0285.2007.0906.0226, 09/06/2007

Language: ENU

Intel(R) RAID Technology

Intel RAID Controller: Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller
              Number of Serial ATA ports: 4

RAID Option ROM Version: 5.6.2.1002
              Driver Version: 6.2.1.1002
              RAID Plug-In Version: 6.2.1.1002
              Language Resource Version of the RAID Plug-In: 6.2.1.1002
              Create Volume Wizard Version: 6.2.1.1002
              Language Resource Version of the Create Volume Wizard: 6.2.1.1002
              Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard Version: 6.2.1.1002
              Language Resource Version of the Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard: 6.2.1.1002
              Modify Volume Wizard Version: 6.2.1.1002
              Language Resource Version of the Modify Volume Wizard: 6.2.1.1002
              Delete Volume Wizard Version: 6.2.1.1002
              Language Resource Version of the Delete Volume Wizard: 6.2.1.1002
              ISDI Library Version: 6.2.1.1002
              Event Monitor User Notification Tool Version: 6.2.1.1005
              Language Resource Version of the Event Monitor User Notification Tool: 6.2.1.1005
              Event Monitor Version: 6.2.1.1005

Array_0000
              Hard Drive Write Cache Enabled: Yes
              Size: 1863 GB
              Free Space: 0 GB
              Number of Hard Drives: 2
              Hard Drive Member 1: ST1000DM003-1CH162
              Hard Drive Member 2: ST31000528AS
              Number of Volumes: 1
              Volume Member 1: Volume062409

Volume062409
              System Volume: Yes
              Volume Write-Back Cache Enabled: No
              RAID Level: RAID 1 (mirroring)
              Size: 931.5 GB
              Number of Hard Drives: 2
              Hard Drive Member 1: ST1000DM003-1CH162
              Hard Drive Member 2: ST31000528AS
              Parent Array: Array_0000

Hard Drive 0
              Usage: Array member
              Device Port: 0
              Device Port Location: Internal
              Current Serial ATA Transfer Mode: Generation 2
              Model: ST1000DM003-1CH162
              Serial Number: S1DB3BL6
              Firmware: CC46
              Native Command Queuing Support: Yes

Hard Drive 1
              Usage: Array member
              Device Port: 1
              Current Serial ATA Transfer Mode: Generation 2
              Model: ST31000528AS
              Serial Number: 9VP03FN6
              Firmware: CC34
              Native Command Queuing Support: Yes

Unused Port 0
              Device Port: 2

Unused Port 1
              Device Port: 3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Regards,

Jeff

• 4. Re: Raid1 "Error Occurred(0)" on Good Drive After Replacing SMART Event Drive
                Diego_Intel

It seems that the meta data on that disk has been corrupted and therefore it has been taken out of the RAID volume. What I can see on that report, is that this system is using a really mature driver and option ROM version.

You should try a BIOS update for this system to update the option ROM installed and then try using a more recent version of Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager such as the one posted here:

Download Center

Once this is done you may back up the data on the RAID 1. Then delete the RAID 1, setting both hard drives as non RAID drives and then create a new RAID 1 using one of the hard drives as the source, this is done inside the operating system, in Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager control panel, just use the option that says create RAID from an existing hard drive.

• 5. Re: Raid1 "Error Occurred(0)" on Good Drive After Replacing SMART Event Drive
                  Jeff11

Hello Diego,

Maybe you can help me look at the options correctly.

The system I have is a proprietary Gateway box. It was sold as a high end workstation. A monthy after I purchased the system, Gateway's higher end systems division was purchased by Micron, and then about a year later Micron declared bankruptcy.

The only reason I mention that is that I'm not sure how to address the BIOS update issue. Any suggestions on how to obtain the correct upgrade (being that there is no longer any support for this hardware)? I just don't want to make things worse.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

• 6. Re: Raid1 "Error Occurred(0)" on Good Drive After Replacing SMART Event Drive
                    Diego_Intel

After checking the report, I can see that the BIOS version is LA97510J.15A.0285 which as per your motherboard manufacturer's web site, is the latest one they released.

In this case, a more recent BIOS may not be installed.

• 7. Re: Raid1 "Error Occurred(0)" on Good Drive After Replacing SMART Event Drive
                      Jeff11

Hi Diego,

(Sorry, I don't recall seeing an email regarding your reply.)

I want to make sure I understand correctly regarding the backup. Are you saying that the backup should be done to an external drive (other than the two RAID drives)? Or, will the data on the existing RAID drives be recognized when the drives reconfigured as non-RAID?

Thanks.

Jeff

• 8. Re: Raid1 "Error Occurred(0)" on Good Drive After Replacing SMART Event Drive
                        Diego_Intel

A data back up to another drive should be done regardless of the state of the RAID, specially when using this type of RAID solutions in a system, so be sure to have one.

However, I did not mention a back up before, what I mentioned is breaking the RAID through the Control I option ROM, using the option that says "set disks to non RAID" and then boot to the operating system using one of the hard drives that has the operating system installed. After you boot to the operating system, you can get into Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager and use the option "create RAID from an existing hard drive" which will preserve the data on the source drive and create a RAID 1 with the data on it. This option is illustrated in the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager user guide on page 18. The user guide is posted here:

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/imsm_reference1.pdf