10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 1:27 PM by

The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event

flasho

This error message occurs fairly regular. Unlike what I have read, my computer doesn't shut down it just won't start normal in the morning after evening shut down. When I try to start I get a drive light or two then nothing. If I try the start switch several times, it will catch and start but show the above error and several options on the screen one of which is F4 to continue to start normal. The computer then operates normal all day. I have checked all fans, changed power supplies and viewed CPU temperatures from BIOS that never show more than 132 degrees F. It seems to me that there must be a sensor that has failed or going bad for this to be intermittent. I would hate to replace both MB and CPU if this is fixable. MB is D865GBF/D865GLC w/Pentium 4 3Ghz and 1MB RAM.

• 1. Re: The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event
          Aryan2411

Hi Flasho,

Actually if your system is reporting high temperature, you will need to check for these things below.

It can be due to any of these:
          a) bad integration
          b) PSU
          c) Chassis is not TAC (Thermally Advantage Chassis)
          d) BIOS Issues.

Make sure that you are reading the temperature from the BIOS itself.

Steps to try:
          Re-integrate the cpu with new clean thermal paste.
          Update the BIOS of the board.

If not, fixed, try the system out of the chassis as a test.
          Make sure that you have a good PSU as well.

Kind Regards,
          Aryan.

• 2. Re: The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event
            flasho

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I did them all except removing from the chassis. I did however, (and have been for over a week) remove the side panel for plenty of ventilation. I also downloaded the Intel IAM monitor which shows CPU temp running at around 118 degrees F. Which, should not produce a problem after an overnight shutdown. I still have to press the start switch several times to get it to catch then continue by using F4. Somehow, there must be a bad sensor somewhere. It can only be from the CPU itself or the MB. Everything still works, it is just annoying.

flasho

• 3. Re: The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event
              Aryan2411

Hi Flasho,

No worries, i am here to help

Well you said that the CPU temperature is 118F, i think that it seems to be alright for me, 118F = 47.7 Celcius

So depending on which  CPU you have, i will tell you to get your CPU model number

SL Number

Then check the link below for the threshold temperature

http://ark.intel.com

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

• 4. Re: The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event
                flasho

Followed your lead, Aryan and the CPU is running in range. The Intel temp monitor is showing well within the green, too. I guess it must be a sensor that has failed and causing the error. As long as the computer continues to work, I won't go to the expense of changing out the MB. Thanks for your helpful responses.

• 5. Re: The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event
                  Aryan2411

Hi Flasho,

Glad to help. Anyway, at least i showed you some of the basic tips that you needs to you when the system over-heats.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

• 6. Re: The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event
                    save.me22

Hi Rajiv,

i could not understand the exact solution here
                    i am facing the same issue with my machine of thermal overheating.

it automatic restart when the BIOS is loaded. it start and shutdown continuously for infinite times at least for 3-4 min.
                    then it give the error of overheating and F4 and other options..

My System configurations are
                    Intel Desktop Board D865GBF
                    P4 CPU,3.00GHz
                    2.99 GHz, 496 MB RAM

i have installed new CPU Heat sink also along with the new Heat paste but it did not worked.
                    Please advice..
                    Let me know if you need more info here..

• 7. Re: The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event
                      xB2Spiritx

sometimes, due to wear and tear happen on mainboard.. all kind of sign of failure will appear before it went EOL. End of Life.

well.. i would recommend you to update to the latest bios of your baord model. and ...

enter into bios and monitor the hardware monitor page. where yo can see the temp and the fan speed..

run the pc in that mode and monitor until the pc reach to the highest temp and you can confirm your pc is overheating..

if your pc is really overheating, get a thrid party Heatsink fan or etc to replace the intel original fan.. dust clogged up in the ball bearing of the fan may hinder the fan ability to spin faster...

• 8. Re: The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event
                        save.me22

Hi

i tried with third party fan but it did not worked

here are some statitics that will help you to give solution

Here are some statistics that will help you

BIOS Version BF86510A.86A.0063.P18

Processor Zone Temp 77C/ 172F

System Zone 1           44C/ 111F

System Zone 2           54C/ 129F

Processor Fan Speed 3040 RPM

Rear Fan 0 RPM

Front Fan 0 RPM

Volateges

+1.5 Vin        1.454V

Vccp             1.317V

+3.3Vin         3.241V

+5Vin            5.052V

+12Vin          11.875V

Thanks in advance

• 9. Re: The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event
                          Curious592

My 915GEV with a P 4 3.0 GHz CPU lists 39, 28, 28 at desktop and 45 (and rising), 30, 30 in BIOS so your temps are disturbing to me, but I believe your board is older.  Some load is relieved by the graphics card.  A newer system with recovered Core 2 duo 2.13 and other parts is misbehaving possibly due to PS, monitor or simply frequent changes.

• 10. Re: The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event

A recent problem with the same MB had immediate shut down after 10-15 sec. No info was ever displayed on the screen and all fans were running. I changed power supply but not the problem. I was about to change MB and CPU until a closer look showed the plastic bracket that holds the heatsink and fan had snapped off one corner. I added some thermal grease and held the assembly down when starting up and system booted w/o a problem. I was able to replace the bracket portion on the MB for $5, which was a bargain to be up and running again. Morale of this story, diagnose as thoroughly as possible before spending money that won't solve the problem.