Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I7 3770K overheating with watercooling

FMONA1
Beginner

Hello,

I remade my computer 10 months ago, as the i7 tended to heat up, I offer him a waterblock Antec Khuler H2O 920, all functioned normally, 60°C during a game, until a few weeks ago, the processor began to heat up, I dare not start a game (often close to 100°C back on the desktop), and recently after a time the computer freeze.

It also heats when surfing the net.

I change the thermal paste (zalman), verified the waterblock, put a bios update (gigabyte)

Do you think that the cpu can have a problem?

Detail of the machine:

Zalman Z9+ (6x 12*12 fans)

gigabyte z77m-d3h

gskill f312800 8go

i7 3770k

sapphire 7850oc x2 (crossfire)

ssd intel 180go

ocz zs650W

antec kuhler h2o920

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FMONA1
Beginner

Hello,

a precision, at startup the CPU reaches 90°C, and with photo editing software the temperature increases and stabilizes around 65°C with the fan almost fully loaded.

I've also some lag while surfing the net, to scroll the page.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello yeantbron,

It is important to say that after 100C on a processor can be considered as Overheating. Based on the troubleshooting steps you have done there is not too much to do; however, there are some other steps I would like o recommend you to do:

1. Test the motherboard outside of the chassis. If you have more components inside the case, it can cause heat and become the processor to overheat.

1. Run the Processor Diagnostics Tool. This will run a diagnose of the processor internal components and will show a result. You can download this application at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2864-bit%29*&DownloadType=Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2864-bit%29*&DownloadType=Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples

1. Test another cooling solution if possible.

1. Make sure the processor runs at its default speed.

If after doing these troubleshooting steps you are still having problems, I recommend you contacting our Chat, email or phone support in order to proceed with the RMA of the unit.

Support Contact information:

916-377-7000

mailto:rpd@mailbox.intel.com rpd@mailbox.intel.com

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/apac/eng/support/429847.htm http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/apac/eng/support/429847.htm

0 Kudos
FMONA1
Beginner

hello, sorry for the late reply,

i found the problem, an option in the bios for overclocking checked by default after an update.

Now it run perfectly

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DOHer
Beginner

We reapplied thermal paste to a i5 4670K CPU - fresh out of the box, from Malaysia, and although Intel admits it doesn't have enough Quality control on the second-party assemblers I do believe that tracking how they are processing the processors would be of interest to Intel. This is a common thread among users of INTEL processors, so when will you acknowledge the CPU's and thermal solutions arrive inadequate to the reputation of Intel? All the extra steps I see in the links seem to be a waste of valuable time, and blaming all other components a cheap dodge. We had replaced EVERYTHING in the list (including motherboard and case, power supply), and finally, repasted the CPU to its heatsink and VOILA! Now it is running within temperature parameters, and the performance of the PC is awesome. This is not the first time. Why should a CPU cost the user the price of almost an entire system just to get a computer up and running? Why is not the CPU awesome right out of the box? Why is INtel putting out a long list of other companies' products at fault and not admitting their factory sites are still not able to put the thermal paste on correctly?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Serendip, please check your private messages.

0 Kudos