Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

What is a safe operating temperature for the core i5 2400 3.1ghz processor?

MRhoa1
Beginner

I have been running on average about 50 centigrade on my system, and am worried that this is too hot. Is this operating temperature safe for this chip? Thanks for any input on this as it seems difficult to locate information on operating temperatures.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Progteach,

The i5-2400 processor has a TCase value of 72.6°Celsius; anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor like watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.

When the processor is stressed out and it is being use at 100%, the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 90°Celsius and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the temperature reaches 100 °Celsius or more, that is consider overheating.

Regards,

Sylvia L

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Progteach,

The i5-2400 processor has a TCase value of 72.6°Celsius; anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor like watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.

When the processor is stressed out and it is being use at 100%, the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 90°Celsius and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the temperature reaches 100 °Celsius or more, that is consider overheating.

Regards,

Sylvia L

0 Kudos
MRhoa1
Beginner

Thanks for the detailed response Sylvia. I am a bit anal about my computing devices and when I do not know or cannot find accurate information about a question I have, I cannot rest until it is resolved. Thanks for putting this one to rest for me!

Mark

0 Kudos