1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2015 2:57 PM by mikec_intel

DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB

kazu

Dear community,

I have a DN2800MT mainboard with latest BIOS (MTCDT10N.86A.0166.2013.0427.1030)

I bought a mini-pcie wlan / bluetooth combo card ("azurewave aw-nb037h") and

the system won't boot / hangs at POST code "EB" when this card is installed.

(I noticed previous BIOS versions had a similar issue with scanners.)

As "EB" seems to indicate a problem with "USB Legacy", i disabled this option in the BIOS

when the card was unplugged. Booting with this option disabled and the card plugged

also leads to a system hang but "only" for about 1-2 Minutes.

Running "lspci" in linux adds the following line when the card is plugged:

02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

The output of "lsusb" however did not change. There is no sign of the bluetooth component of this combo card.

Which information do i need to provide to get this problem fixed?

• 1. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
          kazu

Edit:

Disabling "USB Legacy" did NOT help. It's just a random behaviour. Sometimes it does hang for ever, sometimes "only" for some minutes.

The output of "dmesg" reveals that the bluetooth-part might be an USB device. But it seems like detecting it is broken:

[ 5.225459] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd

[ 20.321709] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

[ 35.521838] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

[ 35.737614] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd

[ 50.833872] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

[ 66.034014] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

[ 66.249782] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 4 using uhci_hcd

[ 76.646930] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 4, error -110

[ 76.758817] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using uhci_hcd

[ 87.155974] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 5, error -110

EDIT2:

The card workfs without problems when plugged into my laptop.

I guess it's a BIOS issue?

additional tests

• 2. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
            sylvia_intel

Hello Kazu,

Could you please provide me with the following information?

• Which BIOS version did the system had before you updated it to the latest one 0166?
            • Have you tried to disable the “boot to network” on the BIOS?

Regards,

Sylvia L.

• 3. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
              kazu

Hello Sylvia,

my previous BIOS version was 0164. But, I updated before buying the card because I had some minor issues and hoped the update would fix them (they were related to linux, not to the BIOS). So, I don't know whether the card works with the old 0164.

Boot to Network (and Boot to USB) were disabled when testing the card.

• 4. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                sylvia_intel

Kazu,

BIOS version 0163 "Fixed issue where system hangs at POST code EB when using a scanner", you may want to try rolling back to that version using the BIOS recovery method.  Download Center

The instructions will be found here: Desktop Boards — Instructions for Recovery BIOS update

Then, test the system after that and let me know.

Regards,

Sylvia L

• 5. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                  kazu

Hello Sylvia,

I just downgraded using the provided instructions. The BIOS is now  "MTCDT10N.86A.0163.2012.1204.1715".

The problem stays the same. BIOS hangs at "EB" and if it boots after 2 minutes, linux does not detect the device and shows

the aforementioned errors in "dmesg".

I also tried to enable "USB Optimization" for faster booting. When enabled, the BIOS does not hang, but linux still shows the same errors in "dmesg".

• 6. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                    sylvia_intel

Kazu,

Are you able to try the mini-pcie wlan / bluetooth combo card on the other PCI Express Half-Mini card slot just for testing?

let me know!

• 7. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                      kazu

Hello Sylvia,

I tried the card in both slots, with the same result.

• 8. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                        kazu

Hello Sylvia,

are you sure replacing the mainboard will solve my problem?

Other cards and usb-devices work without any problems.

It's only this combo-card that does not work as expected.

• 9. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                          sylvia_intel

Kazu,

Is the wlan/Bluetooth card being recognized on the BIOS? Are you able to see it under the configuration tab>PCI/PCIe add-in slots?

Another recommendation could be to disconnect the CMOS battery for at least an hour and remove the power source complete from the board.

The, you can try updating the BIOS to version 0164 and test the card again.

It could also be a compatibility issue between the board and the device. So let me know have you ever used this card on your board?

For any chance, do you have any other PCIe product that you can try on the board just to discard the PCIe is not defective?

Let me know.

• 10. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                            kazu

Hello Sylvia,

I just flashed BIOS version 0164. Unfortunately the problem still exists. CMOS resetting didn't help either.

As mentioned before, the combo-card uses the pcie (for wifi) and usb (for bluetooth) part of the slot.  The pci-express part (wifi) works (if the bios boots after 2 minutes...). It's the usb-part that does not work (see aforementioned kernel errors). So I guess it's a compatibility issue with the usb (bluetooth) part of the combo-card. I bought this card after I bought the board and the card never worked on this board.

The card though worked without any problems when plugged into my laptop. Both wifi and bluetooth. Using my laptop, the bluetooth shows up in the list of usb-devices in linux and does not throw kernel errors as it does when plugged into the DN2800MT. Also I tested another wifi-only card and it worked with the DN2800MT.

That's why I think it's a compatibility issue with the USB-part of this card.

• 11. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                              sylvia_intel

Everything is pointing to be a compatibility problem with that particular product.

Regards.

• 12. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                                kazu

Can my problem be solved by e.g. intel providing a BIOS-update?

(just like the issue of EB-hang with scanners in BIOS-version 0163)

• 13. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                                  sylvia_intel

Kazu,

I’m going to send your request to the appropriate group.

Regards.

• 14. Re: DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB
                                    Nelstaar

Hi,

I'am digging every where I can because I have the same issue on a 2700DC with WD external HDD.

I will try a firmware update of the HDD and/or BIOS settings.

Sometimes hangs forever, sometimes boot after some minutes (never the same duration).

It's a crazy bug.

Edit:

FYI: I fixed with BIOS features USB optimization. This way BIOS does not cares any more about my USB HDD drives. Fortunately OS does.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next