1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2013 1:23 PM by sylvia_intel RSS

DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again

ChrisLee

I just bought the Intel motheroard DZ77GAL-70K and after updated the drivers I tried to update the BIOS to the latest version (0066) because it could not detect my TV card.

I used the Windows tool to update the BIOS (Win XP Pro 32bit SP3).  While executing the update tool, it requested to restart the computer and after I confirmed, instead of restarting, it just shut down.  So I powered on the computer again but then there is no display, no beep sound.

I tried to do a BIOS reset (remove the required jumper and plugged in a USB drive with latest BIO file) but there is still no response and no display.  Is there anyway to fix it?

I just bought the DZ77BH-55K last week and it was dead after updated the BIOS to 0099 and got a replacement of this motherboard.  It is very frustrated that the motherboard is dead again just because of updating BIOS.

• 1. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
          sylvia_intel

Hello Chris Lee,

Our recommendation for this issue would be to roll back to the previous BIOS version you had install on your board. Instructions on how to do it will be found here:

Desktop Boards — Instructions for Recovery BIOS update

-Remove the CMOS battery for 30 minutes.

BIOS version 0057 is the one that fixed issue where TV tuner cards are not recognized. So you may want to update the BIOS to this version first. Then, flash BIOS version 0061 and finally 0066.

If you are not sure which BIOS version was previously installed on the board, you may want to provide me the AA# in order to give you that information.

Regards,

Sylvia L

• 2. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
            ChrisLee

Thank you for your reply.

Finally I got the motherboard boot up again!  It was frustrated that no display at all.  Then I tried to plug a display card and connected it to monitor, plug an USB drive with latest BIOS, unplug all other devices including keyboard, mouse & HDD, and remove the jumper for BIOS recovery.  Then I powered on the computer and went to do other things.

After some time, I heard a beep sound and returned and found that there was display on screen showing the progress of updating my BIOS!  After saw it all done, I put back the jumper and power on the computer and it worked again.  However, I could not use the built-in display adaptor until changed some BIOS setting.

• 3. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
              sylvia_intel

Chris Lee,

• When you mention the "built-in display", are you referring to the onboard video of the motherboard?
              • Which BIOS version were you able to install on the board?
              • Which processor are you using?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                ChrisLee

Yes, I was referring to onboard video of motherboard.

BIOS version is 0066.

Processor is Intel Xeon 4 Core 8 Thread E3-1245V2 3.4GHz with HD Graphics P4000.

After updated the BIOS to 0066, when restarted, it could not use my onboard video.  After I switched to use the display adaptor, it could boot and I went to BIOS setting and found that the memory allocated for the onboard display was nothing selected.  Then I chose to load defaults and it showed 256M.  And after saved the settings and rebooted it could boot using the onboard video.

• 5. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                  sylvia_intel

Chris,

I'm glad to know that you were able to boot using the onboard video.

Please let me know if the TV tuner card is now being recognized by the board?

• 6. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                    ChrisLee

Yes, the TV tuner card can be recognized by the board and works properly.

However, there is one problem of the board.  There is one unknown PCI device in Device Manager (I am using XP Pro SP3 32bit).  I checked and it should be the Marvell 6G SATA controller.  So I installed the latest Marvell 6G SATA controller driver.  After install, it always shows an exclaimation mark on the device in Device Manager.  Is it because BIOS 0066 does not support Marvell 6G SATA controller anymore?  How to get rid of this exclaimation mark?

• 7. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                      sylvia_intel

Chris,  I going to check on this and I'll contact you back.

• 8. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                        sylvia_intel

Chris,

could you please provide me the following information?

How many hard drives/devices you have plug on your system?

On which HD do you have Wndows install?

On the BIOS, the SATA mode is IDE, AHCI or RAID?

Thanks

• 9. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                          ChrisLee

I plugged 2 HDD, 1 Blu-ray writer and 1 DVD writer to the first 4 SATA channels.

The Windows is installed in the first HDD.

In BIOS, the SATA mode is IDE.  I cannot set to other mode or otherwise the Windows cannot start up.

• 10. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                            Pausert

Hi Chris,

The reason you cannot change SATA mode to AHCI is that you built your OS with SATA in IDE mode.  This is a due to the way Microsoft setups their OS.  You can go into the registry and change 2 settings to allow booting in SATA mode in AHCI.  

• 11. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                              sylvia_intel

Chris,

The error with the Marvel SATA ports could be related to drivers, the Operating System or to the hardware.

So, we can try to go back to BIOS 0064 in order to check if the error disappears, however I cannot guarantee the TV tuner card is going to work.

Do you have any device connected to the Marvel SATA ports (gray ports)?

Is the device being recognized on the BIOS?

• 12. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                                ChrisLee

I am using the latest Marvel SATA drivers.  And I dare not update BIOS again after the horrible experience.

At this moment, there is no device connecting to the Marvel SATA port.

I tried to change the SATA mode to AHCI but failed.  Don't know whether the SATA mode is related to the problem.

• 13. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                                  lordpie

I ran into a seemingly related problem after updating to 0066. The system would hang after post and fail to boot. However, when I would reset the bios options to default it would boot fine, so after the most excruciating game of trial and error ever I found out what setting was causing it, the secondary SATA option.

I had it disabled because it was causing DPC watchdog BSODs in windows 8 due to some conflict with the intel AHCI driver (still isn't fixed) that was discovered by someone on this board, and that is causing some kind of hang when booting the 0066 bios.

Re-enabling secondary sata allowed the computer to boot, but I was immediately met with a BSOD once in windows... finally managed to disable the controller in device manager to give me enough time to return to 0064. I love intel but if I can find someone willing to buy this board from me I'm heading to ASUS...

• 14. Re: DZ77GAL-70K after Update BIOS Cannot Boot Again
                                    ChrisLee

I just found that fir BIOS 0066, if I disable secondary SATA, it can never boot Windows, no matter what mode I set for the primary SATA controller!

1 2 Previous Next