1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2012 7:27 AM by skynet92

Intel D945GCNL

princechennai

My Desktop Board is Intel D945 GCNL. I installed 2GB RAM and 512MB Video Card. Recently i installed 2 more GB of RAM and now in the system properties, it shows only 2.49GB instead of 4GB. Please help me in this.

System Configuration Details:

Mother Board: Intel D945GCNL

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40 GHz

RAM: 2 x 2 GB DDR2 @ 667MHz

• 1. Re: Intel D945GCNL
          unplugged_24

Hi Princechennai,

Unfortunately this motherboard supports on a maximum of 2GB of total memory. Hence i guess this is the main reason why you are not getting the full 4GB that you have on the system, even if you are using windows xp 64 bit version.

More information for memory on this board: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gcnl/sb/CS-026728.htm

Cheers.

• 2. Re: Intel D945GCNL
            scknux

Hi, I want to know whats the maximum Memory capacity for each Slot ? as there are two slots only can i plugin a 2GB RAM for a single slot ? and also will there be any harm to the Motherboard or the RAM if i plugin a 2GB and a 1GB RAMs for both slots seperately, as Princechennai has stated that he has 2.4GB RAM as the total. So at least I can get some additional 0.5GB ? Is this a good method ?

TIA.

• 3. Re: Intel D945GCNL
              unplugged_24

Hi,

Since the maximum capacity of memory supported on this board is 2GB, hence the maximum memory supported on each slot is 1GB. For best performance it is recommended to use equal memory capacity on each slot since you will then have the memory working in dual channel, thus 2 x 1GB is the best configurations for this motherboard.

• Dual channel (Interleaved) mode.

This mode offers the highest throughput for real world applications. Dual channel mode is enabled when the installed memory capacities of both DIMM channels are equal. Technology and device width can vary from one channel to the other but the installed memory capacity for each channel must be equal. If different speed DIMMs are used between channels, the slowest memory timing will be used.

• Single channel (Asymmetric) mode.

This mode is equivalent to single channel bandwidth operation for real world applications. This mode is used when only a single DIMM is installed or the  memory capacities are unequal. Technology and device width can vary from one channel to the other. If different speed DIMMs are used between channels,  the slowest memory timing will be used.

Sometimes, some 2GB modules may work in one slot only, but that does not mean it is supported. As far as I know, i will not do any harm to your system if you use unsupported memory on the system. (It will either work or not). But however, changing memory configurations and timings in BIOS may make the motherboard unusable.

Hope this will be helpful.

Cheers.

• 4. S THE ORIGINAL OF THE BOARD BIOS D945GCNL?
                Bryant1988

IS THE ORIGINAL OF THE BOARD BIOS D945GCNL
                I need help because the unconfigure and I want to recognize the Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.8 GHz

• 5. Re: Intel D945GCNL
                  francisxavier.p

Hi all - I didn't have any problem in having 4GB DDR2 667 MHz being installed in my system with D945GCNL board.

My system is running on Vista Ultimate . Before Service Pack 1 it showed 3.25 GB of RAM and then after Service Pack 1 it showed 4 GB of RAM.

My System Config

Processor : Intel C2D E4500 @ 2.2 Ghz

Motherboard : Intel D945GCNL

RAM : 2 * 2 GB @ 667 MHz

Graphics Card : Nvidia 7300GT

Hard Drive : 2 * 500 GB Seagate SATA

Sound Card : Creative Sound Blaster

PSU : 500 W

Optical Drive : 2 * Sony DVD Drives

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1765/19422114.jpg

• 6. Re: Intel D945GCNL
                    roy.srijan

I have D945GCNL Mother Board. 1gb DDR2 667MHz RAM, 2.2 GHz C2D Processor.
                    I want to Upgrade my RAM to 3GB but Intel says the Maximum total System Memory is 2GB[http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gcnl/sb/CS-026728.htm].
                    I am using 64 bit Windows-7. If I upgrade it to 3GB does all 3GB RAM will work or 1GB will be wasted. Or it will be wasted if I use 32 bit OS.
                    Please Help.

• 7. Re: Intel D945GCNL

Thx for sharing and posting your info on ram, francisxavier.p

I just picked up this mobo w/ 2GB ram from a friend a while back.  Just now getting round to setting it up w/ a dual boot XP/Win7.  Put in the same HD as you have...but after getting the op systems set up I wanted to upgrade the ram.  mine may or may not work as yours did but at least you certainly gave me hope....as a matter of fact based on your experience w/ this same chip set Intel D945GCNL that we have....I have made the observation (as I am certain you did as well!)....just to consider specs from manufactures as a good source and guide but NOT absolute truth on ALL things....you are proof of that w/ your 'against-the-odds' install and working fine of 4 GB ram!  If you don't mind, what brand of ram are you currently using in this system?

Thx again for your post.

Paul

• 8. Re: Intel D945GCNL

Hi,

Today I replaced my (2 x 1 GB 667 MHz) DDR2 with (2 x 2 GB 800 MHz) DDR2 ram modules on Intel D945GCNL motherboard (with latest BIOS update = NL94510J.86A ver. 0036)

& the RESULTS are:

Bios: Shows 4096 MB of ram running at 667 MHz. (that's the max. ram FSB supported by motherboard)

OS: (Win 7 SP1 64bit) Shows ram = 4.00 GB (3.24 GB usable)

Task Manager: In performance tab under physical memory shows Total memory = 3317 MB.

Hence, i have no idea what francisxavier.p is talking about as (in any case) the real usable memory still remains about 3.24 GB.

As proof see the following snapshots:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/8484/12323384.jpg

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4282/68519204.jpg

My advice is to upgrade upto 3 GB ram max. that's it instead of ruining your money on 4 GB ram.

If francisxavier.p has motherboard with BIOS NL94510J.86i ver. 0005 (iPAT support) then may be his PC is running on 4 GB usable memory but I cant confirm that.

Regards.

System Configuration Details:

Mother Board: Intel D945GCNL

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40 GHz

RAM: 2 x 2 GB DDR2 @ 800MHz (Running @ 667MHz)

• 9. Re: Intel D945GCNL

Hey Sarmad06,

Thx for your most recent post.

You gave me sum-thang to think about....my Bios.....it probably needs updating as well.....gotta go read and find out

how to do it....never done that before - glad you mentioned it.

I posted earlier in a response to another poster about the ram.  Currently running 2GB ram but changing it out to the

4GB (same as you installed on your board).  Also running a low-end processor but changing it out today to a duo-core,

Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz 800MHz after it arrives.  Diff is you are running 64 bit and I have a duo-boot XP and

Win7 home 32bit on this board Intel D945gcnl.  ....hopefully, the ram is gonna take....that is one of my concerns.

But too, this system is set up w/ a radiator/waterjacket-coolant over the processor.  I am not liking how the heat levels are.

I have made some adjustments on it but still running a little too warm for my preferences.

That's one of the reasons I am changing out the chip and of course to get a higher-end duo-core in there as well.

After I get this stuff 'dialed-in' I will post the results for all to view.

Thx again for making/taking the time you did to share your results....appreciate that.

Paul

• 10. Re: Intel D945GCNL

hii intel,

i am ambrish jawalkar and i have question to ask is ... I HAVE INTEL D945GCNL MOTHER BOARD WITH 1.6GHz DUAL CORE PROCESSOR AND 2GB DDR2 RAM  AND I NEED 3GHz PROCESSOR .. SO IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE 3GHz PROCESSOR FOR THIS MOTHER BOARD ? IF YES PLZ REPLAY ME AT ****** personal information edited ******

PAUL PLZ HELP ME....

• 11. Re: Intel D945GCNL
                              chathachatha

intel D945GCNL Pentium 4 with two processors 3.0 & 3.0

some body tell me can i install 4 GB ram i have already installed 2 GB & 512MB ram

is my board support 4 GB RAM

• 12. Re: Intel D945GCNL
                                Deepakvimal

Hi  sarmad06,

I believe you could help me through with my confussion. I have a system configuration with the following specs:

Motherboard : intel D945gcnl

Processor : Pentium D 2.79Ghz

RAM : 1x2GB

I'm looking for a graphic card which would be compatible with my motherboard and supoprt MAYA 2012,

I have two graphic cards shortlested which comes within my budget and i'm not sure if they are compatibnle with my pc.

'XFX Radeon 6790" and "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti "

Could you please advise me of any such graphic card. i've been looking for one for about three months now and couldn't come up with the one right decission.

Thanks and regards,

Deepak Vimal

• 13. Re: Intel D945GCNL
                                  skynet92

Can anyone please tell me does Intel 945GCNL support XFX Radeon hd4870 1gb (ddr5) graphics card?????

I'm really looking for this...

My PC configuration is: Capture.JPG

• 14. Re: Intel D945GCNL
                                    Brad

Subhashish wrote:

does Intel 945GCNL support XFX Radeon hd4870 1gb (ddr5) graphics card?????

Shouldn't be a problem. Your motherboard has a PCI Express 1.1 slot which works with PCI Express 2.0 graphics cards like the one you mentioned.

1 2 Previous Next