14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 8:52 AM by lhill

Color change when switching receiver inputs

mrkazador

Intel NUC DC3217IYE with Windows x64

Denon 2312

All drivers and BIOS are up to date with the latest. When I switch inputs on the receiver to something else and go back to the PC input, the colors change. Like if someone moved the tint real high. To fix the problem I have to change the resolution within Windows and revert back to 1080p. I have attached two pictures showing the color change.

This is what it normally looks like:

IMG_20130526_172602.jpg

This is what it looks like when I switch receiver inputs and go back to the NUC input:

IMG_20130526_172633.jpg

• 1. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
          lhill

Hello mrkazador,

We have not had any other reports similar to yours. I have some questions for you.

What is the make/model of the TV you have?

Does this still happen if you bypass the Denon receiver and plug directly into the TV?

Are you using any video adapters or are you using a straight HDMI cable configuration both into and out of the receiver?

Do the HDMI cables you are using support HDMI 1.4a?

Which port on the receiver do you have the NUC connected to? (It looks like you have 6 choices; does it make any difference which one you choose?)

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 2. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
            mrkazador

LG 47LH40

It does not happen if its connected directly to the TV.

No video adapters, straight HDMI cable.

I believe the cables are HDMI 1.3, I don't remember... but I did try 2 other cables and the second port on the NUC.

The NUC is connected to the BD input on the receiver. I did try other inputs on the receiver and still the same problem.

I have a XBOX 360 connected to the receiver and it doesn't have this color change problem.

This is a new problem because it did not happen before and I've had the NUC for about 3 months with the same connections, haven't moved anything around. If it was a problem with the receiver it should also show the high tint color in the receivers menu but it looks normal. I have the GUI overlay disabled in the receiver so when I go to its menu it also causes the color change when going back to the NUC display.

• 3. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
              lhill

Hi,

You say "This is a new problem because it did not happen before...".  So, do you mean that the problem just suddenly started recently and that the NUC did not always do this? Need to know then what has changed since it worked OK before.

Did you update graphics drivers or the BIOS? If so, can you try reverting back to the previous version and see what happens.

It likely would be difficult for me to reproduce if it is specific to this model receiver.

Regards,

Lois

• 4. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                mrkazador

Yes, it is a recent problem and it has never done this before. I don't think I had the problem with the latest BIOS. I recently updated the GPU and LAN drivers which is when I first noticed the problem. I will try an older GPU driver as I think that is the problem. I will report back when I have done this. Thanks for the help so far!

• 5. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                  lhill

Thanks for the information.  I'd also like to get the graphics driver version information - both the version that exhibits the problem and the one you had before that did not (or if you revert to an earlier version that solves the problem, then that version). I can pass this information on to our graphics team.

• 6. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                    mrkazador

It seems like the problem is fixed by using an older graphics driver (9.17.10.2932). I tried changing inputs multiple times, at least 20, and it did not change colors. Usually the color change would have happened in the 2nd or 3rd try of changing inputs.

This is the GPU driver I was having problems with: 9.17.10.3071

and this is the older driver which I currently have installed that DOES NOT have the color change problem: 9.17.10.2932

• 7. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                      lhill

Hello,

Please try the newest graphics driver that just got posted at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22842 and let me know if you still see the problem with that one. If you do, we'll get this issue sent off to our engineering team.

Thanks,

Lois

• 8. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                        lhill

Hi again,

It would also be good to double-check that the cable you are using is HDMI 1.4a.  In looking at an FAQ on the Denon site that describes the HDMI cable versions, v1.4a added some specific color features - see the article here: http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/192/kw/color

Regards,

Lois

• 9. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                          mrkazador

The gpu driver you linked me to (15.31.9.64.3165) does fix the color change problem but now I'm having an audio problem...

I can still bitstream DTS, AC3, and playback 2ch PCM even though its blank. While on the desktop my receiver should show its receiving an audio input but its not. When I playback something with audio like music, the receiver will show its receiver audio then. After I shut off the music player, the receiver will go back to showing its not receiving audio.

Untitled.png

Can't bitstream HD audio because of this...

111.png

Went back to the older driver 9.17.10.2932 and everything works fine.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                            lhill

Hi,

Thank you for the information. We will try testing this with as many AV receivers as we can find - if one of them will exhibit the same problem, then engineering would be able to debug the issue and find a solution.  For now, I suggest you just stick with the driver version that works for you.

Lois

• 11. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                              lhill

Hi again,

We have tried the NUC on all the AV receivers we have available in our labs and are unable to reproduce the problem that you're seeing. The graphics team believes it may be specific to the specific Denon receiver model that you have (unfortunately, we do not have one of those).

In regards to the audio problem you encountered with the latest graphics driver, it's possible that the Intel HD Audio driver might not have installed well. Please try the following:

1. Uninstall the Intel HD Audio driver from Device Manager and select checkbox to remove the driver files.
                              2. Uninstall the graphics driver too.
                              3. Then re-install the graphics driver version 15.31.9.64.3165, which will re-install the audio driver.

Regards,

Lois

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                                mrkazador

I will try that, thanks

• 13. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                                  mrkazador

I did what you said by uninstalling from the device manager and that have seemed to fix my audio problem. I'm using driver 15.31.9.64.3165 that you linked me to and everything is working fine now, audio and video. Thanks for all the help! If I run into any other problems I'll update the thread.

• 14. Re: Color change when switching receiver inputs
                                    lhill

Very glad to hear that!