8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 1:01 PM by sylvia_intel

DX79SR booting issues - hang at E7

BizSAR

Hello,

I've got 4 sticks of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracers (DDR3-1600) = 16GB RAM using slots 1-4 (blue).

I just installed a whole new system. I've gone through the following steps to try and boot to install Windows:

System starts, but shuts off.

System restarts but gets 3 beep boot code at each boot attempt.

Removed 2 sticks of RAM from slots 3 & 4.

System boots but hangs in BIOS

F7 flash new BIOS - successful

Upon re-boot, BIOS is shown with old BIOS version

Attempt F7 BIOS update again - fails

Attempt BIOS recovery via bootable USB drive - successful

Upon reboot, system hangs at E7 code and will not boot to any drive (DVD, USB, HD, etc.)

This is still with only 2 sticks RAM in slots 1&2. Adding back sticks to slots 3&4 causes 3 beep code again.

Can someone offer some suggestions to debug?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: DX79SR booting issues - hang at E7
          sylvia_intel

Hello BizSAR,

Please let me know which BIOS version is installed of your motherboard?

Then, which version did you tried to flash?

• 2. Re: DX79SR booting issues - hang at E7
            BizSAR

Hi Silvia,

Since the flash was eventually successful (as my first post), I do not remember what I flashed from other than it was whatever the board had on it from the factory. I flashed to SIX7910J.86A.0559.2013.0305.2337.

I've done some more troubleshooting since my first post (some of this is a repeat of above but I wanted to give more detail):

I've taken a working system and replaced it with the following parts:

Intel DX79SR MB

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracers (4x4GB, DDR3-1600)*

Intel I7-3970x CPU

New SSD & HD

*-Replaced with Patriot Extremes 2x4GB (DDR3-2133) for debug

All reused parts (everything but MB, RAM, and CPU) were working fine prior to this build.

So I assemble everything and proceed through the following events:

System starts, but shuts off. Does this twice on it's own.

System restarts (again on its own) but gets 3 beep boot code at each boot attempt (memory error).

Removed 2 sticks of RAM from slots 3 & 4 (still beeped when removing only one)

System boots but hangs in BIOS

F7 flash new, updated/current BIOS - successful

Upon re-boot, BIOS is shown with old BIOS version

Attempt F7 BIOS update again - fails

Attempt BIOS recovery via bootable USB drive - successful, verified BIOS now updated to current

Upon reboot, system hangs at E7 code and will not boot to any drive (DVD, USB, HD, etc.)

I've replaced the Crucials with 2 sticks of the Patriots

I've removed all peripherals except HDs, video card, and keyboard

I've backed off the CPU cooler fastening nuts 3/4 of a turn

I've re-seated and connected the video card

I've checked all PSU connections to the MB and video card, all seem fine.

The BIOS no longer hangs since the flash was successful and I can make adjustments (but re-set everything to defaults), but the system still will not boot past the E7 mark (on-screen and in diag LED on MB), which is defined as: "Waiting for user input" in the MB docs.

It is non-responsive to any keyboard commands in this condition, save Ctrl-Alt-Del, which causes warm boot, but issue repeats.

Further RAM testing:

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracers:

4x4GB, slots 1-4 (blue) = system turns on, then back off, then back on again with the memory error beep codes (3 beeps, pause, 3 beeps). ~30% = will boot to BIOS, hangs in BIOS. 80% = 3 beep code

2x4GB, slots 1-2 (blue) = boots to BIOS, hangs at E7 instead of booting to attached drive.

1x4GB, slot 1 = same result as with sticks in slots 1 & 2.

There was a socket 2011 compatibility issue with the Tactical Tracers (older tracers will not work at all supposedly) that was fixed a month ago with newer sticks. There is a chance NewEgg sold me older ones...checking with Crucial.

So I tried:

Patriot Extreme Masters (2133MHz):

2x4GB, slots 1-2 (blue) = same as Crucials

1x4GB, slot 1 = same as Crucials

2x4GB, ANY other slot combination (NOT using slots 1-2) = 3 beep code.

I've even swapped out the 1 or two sticks I was testing with = same results.

----------------------------------

Is there anything else you can recommend for debug, Silvia, or should this be moved to RMA, or ?

• 3. Re: DX79SR booting issues - hang at E7
              sylvia_intel

Hello,

Thanks for all the information provided. It looks like you already preformed all recommended troubleshooting. On your previous post you said that you run default settings on BIOS, could you please check if the SATA mode is correct (IDE/AHCI/RAID)?

I know you are using the Patriot Extremes 2x4GB (DDR3-2133)  memory only to troubleshoot the system, however I will like to inform you that this memory is not supported since the processor you are using handles memory speed up to 1600 Mhz.

If you continue having the same behavior, feel free to contact your local Intel support group for assistance on replacing your product: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport?group=processor

Regards,

Sylvia L

• 4. Re: DX79SR booting issues - hang at E7
                BizSAR

Hi Silvia,

I have the BIOS set to AHCI. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: DX79SR booting issues - hang at E7
                  Ziad Aghar

So what?? Problem solved???

With all do respect to Sylvia but the RAMS you are using would downgrade to the processor's memory controller speed

Clearly it's an issue with the power. Either the board or the PSU and, most probably the board.

• 6. Re: DX79SR booting issues - hang at E7
                    BizSAR

No, the problem isn't solved, actually. I merely marked her answer as most correct since ultimately it would be RMA'ed, although at this point, I'm not sure if it would be the MB or the CPU since the CPU does have the memory controller on it.

She is incorrect about the RAM. In particular, the Patriot Intel Extreme Masters RAM used was made in conjunction with Intel for that board/CPU chipset. In fact, the MB correctly uses the XMB profile of the RAM (>1600) automatically. While they may not be on the RAM list for the board, clearly 2/3rds of the RAM that fully support the board/CPU are not in that list. That is typical of boards nowadays.

I have a buddy loaning me a brand new in-the-box DX79SR so I can swap that out to see if its the MB or the CPU. The PSU was working just fine in a previous build, although I have a PSU tester, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to check that. Thanks for the insight.

Obviously something is getting RMA'ed here. I'm just gathering as much information about the issue as possible so  the RMA process is much quicker and correct the 1st time.

• 7. Re: DX79SR booting issues - hang at E7
                      BizSAR

Just to update: I borrowed a DX79SR from a friend that had one new in the box, replaced mine with it, and everything is fine for the most part (I'll start a new topic on that).

Looks like a MB RMA is in my future. :/

• 8. Re: DX79SR booting issues - hang at E7
                        sylvia_intel

BizSAR,

Feel free to contact your local Intel support group for assistance on replacing your product: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport?group=processor

Regards.