1 Reply Latest reply on May 20, 2013 5:13 PM by Dan_Intel

DZ77GA-70K - Windows 7 X64 - DVD shows as Local Disk

m6bigdog

My system is a running RST - SDD on Port 0, Raid 1 - Ports 2 & 3 and the DVD's are on Ports 4 & 5.

Latest Drivers - BIOS Version 060 and RST Version 12.5.0.1066

In windows explorer <My Computer - View - Group by Type>  the CD/DVD's show as Local Disk with a HDD icon and the properties are a Local Disk.

I built the system and Win7 x64 was a clean install in January 2013 and explorer showed the DVD's correctly and then one day I got a "Access is Denied" for the DVD which has been solved, however the DVD as Local Disk issue remains.

Also the right click on the DVD drive in the <Hard Disk Drives> group does not include an eject option.

I have tried reinstalling the DVD drivers without success.

Booting in Safe Mode shows the optical drives as CD's and they are in the correct <Device with Removable Storage> Group.

However a clean Boot does not correct the DVD identified as Local Disk problem.

Device Manager and Disk Management both have the DVD's identified correctly.

I have searched the Microsoft community and found others with this problem but the issue is without a defined solution.

However, On the Windows SevenForum I did fine the reference to "support the ATAPI command set" below; suggesting that the motherboard Chipset, BIOS, SATA and Raid may be incompatible for the DVD's.

Computer recognize DVD/RW drive as Local disk on win 7 32bit - Windows 7 Help Forums

"Your computer’s S-ATA connection must support the ATAPI command set.
      Some computer motherboards have S-ATA RAID chipsets and/or a BIOS that do not
      support the ATAPI command set used by optical disc drives. If you are
      unsure, consult your motherboard manual or vendor web site for compatibility,
      BIOS versions and BIOS settings."

So, before I swap the DVD's to the Marvel SATA controller I thought I would ask for support.

Thanks in advance..

• 1. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Windows 7 X64 - DVD shows as Local Disk
          Dan_Intel

Hello m6bigdog,

We have not had any similar issues with the DZ77GA-70K; for troubleshooting purposes, though, we would recommend the following:

1. Ensure the drives are properly recognized on the BIOS.

2. Test with a different DVD driver to narrow the issue properly.

3. Remove the RTC (Real Time Clock) battery and leave it out for 30 minutes.  After this period of time, insert the battery back in and turn the system back on; if it displays POST messages, go into BIOS Setup Utility by pressing <F2> during the boot process.  Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.  Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs, which are located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.  Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

4. Proceed to back your information and do a clean installation of the Operating System using the latest drivers from our website since this seems to be an Operating System instead of a hardware failure.