Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Stuck in 802.11g mode? at 54Mbits

TKola2
Beginner

My 6235 worked fine for a few months and now I noticed that it will not connect at any speed fasted than 54Mbits (based on Windows 7 Network status report). Both 2.4 and 5.2 bands and both on Windows 7 and Windows 8 get the same results. I have another computer that does 802.11n fine and channel bonding with my router so the router settings and securty settings are not the cause! It did work fine a couple of monts ago, I remember is showing upper 200's Mbits.

I changed every setting on the advanced tab and no change. Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. Reinstalled Windows 7. I even placed in another computer and it did the same thing only 54Mbits.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello TomKolarik,

You may want to make sure the router is set to WPA(2) – AES only as per the article below.

Data rate will not exceed 54 Mbps when WEP or TKIP encryption is configured

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/cs-025643.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/cs-025643.htm

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
TKola2
Beginner

Thanks Joe for the quick reply...

Yes, my encryption is WPA2-AES as I stated, my other computer works great on 802.11n so I strongly believe that it is NOT a router setting, security or otherwise. I even removed all security from the router and disabled my antivirus and firewall without any change. I may be wrong and I will be glad to eat my words if it is a router setting!!!

By-the-way the router is a Linksys WNDR4500.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We suggest you to verify with the router manufacturer the encryption is not mixed, like TKIP+AES but AES only. Otherwise you may contact the computer manufacturer for further assistance since it appears you have discarded other software related possible causes.

0 Kudos
TKola2
Beginner

I don't know exactly what the problem was but it was a router issue with my Linksys WNDR4500. All the settings were correct, even security Wpa2-AES. After returning to the current firmware from a beta due to an unrelated issue, it seems that resetting to defaults didnt work, even though they showed up as the default setting!!!! Pretty wierd. I was finally able to get the correct default settings by ... holding a paperclip in the reset hole for 30 seconds and continue holding it in, unplug the router for another 30 seconds, while still holding in the reset, plug in the router for 20 seconds, then release the reset button. So all is fine and the adapter is running at 250-270-300.

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos