12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2013 11:59 PM by Diddle RSS

[beseech] Intel: please build the perfect mini-HTPC NUC. Now. Folks are waiting eagerly. :)

Diddle Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi folks,

since ages I'm building and running HPTCs in my home. And I'm reading lots of discussion boards concerning this topic... many discussions in the communities are around building/finding the perfect HTPC. Of course many flavours exist, one of them is the "mini HTPC", essentially a small networked thingy, e.g. for running XBMC accessing some home server or NAS.

Now Intel leaped a huge step forward introducing the NUCs. Tiny, energy saving, powerful... the right direction for the perfect 'thin HTPC'.

As an HTPC consumer you need at least:

- Video: high end vieo graphics; efficient video decoding, Clear Video HD, true 24p, etc

- Audio: high end HD audio supporting latest DD and DTS formats, at least using pass-through hdmi

These are the basics... at especially the i3-NUC supports them with its HD4000. However, it would be nice to see advanced video technology also for cheaper Celeron-based NUCs.

But as an HTPC consumer you woule also need/desire:

- IR remote control. Hey Intel, why is this cheap stuff not included? At least a CIR header would be ok... it's on all Intel multi media boards, why not on NUC?

- Analog Audio out, i.e. an 3.5mm stereo jack. Hey Intel, you ever heard of standard head phones? Not everyone wants to buy high end BT stuff.

- USB 3.0.  This is already in the the chip set. Hey, why don't you expose that? It's state of the art.

Summary:

Build a Celeron (or i3) based NUC with advanced video graphics, IR/CIR (RC6 compatible), USB 3.0, analogue audio for a reasonable price.

THAT's IT!

Hint: look at the OpenELEC project (openelec.tv). Make sure your device supports that OUT OF THE BOX and you will earn LOTS OF MONEY.

Just my 2 cents,

Diddle.

PS.: no offense, me and lots of other people are really and desperately seeking for such a killer device!

With NUC you are almost done... there's not too much (and nothing expensive) left!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points