9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 12:59 PM by lhill Branched to a new discussion.

Need scheduled wake and/or power-on  in BIOS for signage

plindelauf

We're using the NUC for several digital signage setups, but what we really miss is the ability to schedule an automatic wake and/or power-on in the BIOS. From the OS, an auto wake does not always work reliably, so support for this in the BIOS would be very desirable. Is that something that we could expect to see in a future BIOS release?

• 1. Re: Need scheduled wake and/or power-on  in BIOS for signage
          lhill

Hi plindelauf,

In the BIOS, go to the Power menu and check the box for Wake System from S5.  Then you will see four additional options to set the wakeup date, hour, minute and second. This may be what you are looking for.

Here is an explanation of these settings:

BIOS SettingOptionsDescription / Purpose
          Wake system from S5• Enable
          • Disable
          Enable or disable system wake on alarm event.  When enabled, system will wake on the day/hour/minute/second specified.
          Wakeup DateNumeric range
          0 - 31
          Select day of each month to wake the system.  Select 0 for daily wakeup.
          Wakeup HourNumeric range
          0 - 23
          Select wakeup hour in 24-hour format.  For example, 15 means 3 PM.
          Wakeup MinuteNumeric range
          0 - 59
          Select wakeup minute.
          Wakeup SecondNumeric range
          0 - 59
          Select wakeup second.

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 2. Re: Need scheduled wake and/or power-on  in BIOS for signage
            plindelauf

Brilliant! Sorry I missed that. Thanks for your quick and comprehensive answer.

• 3. Re: Need scheduled wake and/or power-on  in BIOS for signage
              FT_Bisca

Hello lhill...

First of all thanks for your information. I search exactly for the same problem. But theres still a Problem, maybe you can help me...

I did everthing exactly like you said, but the computer does simply not start.

My Settings are:

Wake system from S5 = Enable

Wake up date = 0

Wake up hour = 9

Wake up minute = 0

Wake up second = 0

Wake on PS/2 Keyboard from S5 = Stay Off

If Im right, the computer shoud start at 9am each day. To test the settings, I have set the time before the acutal time, as example if its now 11.56 I set the time to wake up at 12.05.

Im not sure, maybe i forgot something important? Do I have to change settings somewhere else?

I would be happy, if someone could help me, even if this post is more than a year old.

• 4. Re: Need scheduled wake and/or power-on  in BIOS for signage
                lhill

Hi FT_Bisca,

Let me try to reproduce this here in my lab. I'll need to know about your system:

- Which NUC model do you have?

- What BIOS version is installed?

- What operating system is installed?

Thanks,

Lois H.

• 5. Re: Need scheduled wake and/or power-on  in BIOS for signage
                  FT_Bisca

Hi lhill

Thanks a lot, but I already found a solution without the bios settings.

Greetings

• 6. Re: Need scheduled wake and/or power-on  in BIOS for signage
                    PKTAN

Hi,

I'm facing the same problem.

I didn't what mentioned to checked the wake system from s5 and configure:

wakeup date:0

hour:13

min:45

sec:0

but it didn't not wake up after i shutdown my system.

I'm using intel desktop board D54250WYK

loaded windows 8.1

please help

• 7. Re: Need scheduled wake and/or power-on  in BIOS for signage
                      FT_Bisca

The thing is, it doesnt matter for me if my computer is shutdown or just in sleep mode. So I created two tasks in taskscheduler to set my computer into sleepmode and wake it up again in the morning.

If this solution works for you too, Id like to help. Just let me know.

• 8. Re: Need scheduled wake and/or power-on  in BIOS for signage
                        saulhardman

Hi lhill,

Sorry to piggy-back on this post, but I'm having exactly the same issue.

I am unable to configure the Intel NUC D54250WYK to wake from s5 via the visual BIOS.

We're running the latest BIOS version (BIOS Update [WYLPT10H.86A] - W0027) with Windows 8.1 Professional installed.

We've used the D54250WYK machines in the past and had no issue with the BIOS-triggered wake.

We'll be installing these machines on site within the next few days and desperately need a solution to the problem.

Can you help us at all?

Kind regards,

Saul.

• 9. Re: Need scheduled wake and/or power-on  in BIOS for signage
                          lhill

Hi Saul,

I just now set up the same NUC model that you have and set the Wake System From S5 to wake itself up in 5 minutes, fully expecting to see the same problem you are reporting. But, I must say, I was disappointed, as it woke right up on schedule!

So, let's explore what might be different about your system.

- I used BIOS version 0028 which just came out a couple of days ago, so you should try that one: Intel® Download Center

- Make sure your system date and time are set correctly.

- When setting the wakeup hour, note that if it's P.M., it must be in the 24-hour clock format. I.E. 3pm is set in BIOS as 15 (not 3).

If none of this helps, I'd need a bit more information about your configuration:

- SA # from the label on the bottom of the NUC unit.

- What day, hour, minute, second are you trying to set.

- How are you shutting down the NUC (prior to when you want it to wake)? Is it truly in an S5 state?

Thanks,

Lois