8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 1:57 PM by sylvia_intel

Anyone having their screen freeze up (pic)?

davoss

Have DC3217IYE with 8gb ram, 128gb ssd/hd and Win7.  Have updated all drivers via intel website.  Runs well for 30 minutes or so and then it freezes up.  Sometimes it will run for an hour or more. I have tried different hdmi monitors. This has been an ongoing issue for the past several weeks. Has anyone seen this?

Any ideas?

Intel Nuc.jpg

• 1. Re: Anyone having their screen freeze up (pic)?
          sylvia_intel

Hello David,

It looks like some overheating is occurring, causing this problem. 

I recommend you to update the BISO to version 0040, since it included an adjustment to fan control settings, so if you do not have that one installed, please do so.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22638

Then check on the fan control setting:

1. 1. 1. Press F2 to enter BIOS setup during POST.
          2. 2. 2. Go to the Cooling option.
          3. 3. 3. Set System Fan Control to Cool.
          4. 4. 4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS.

Regards,

• 2. Re: Anyone having their screen freeze up (pic)?
            RickardA

I'm experiencing EXACTLY this with my Intel NUC. After reading Sylvia's advice I tried it, I even open up the case and ran the fan on full tilt. Sadly, that did not change the fact that it froze in said manner. This does not seem to be an issue starting windows in safe mode which suggests the problem being a software one, no? Since then, we have purchased two similar setups at work which seems to work fine. So tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can get hold of what drivers were installed and see if that turns anything up.

Sincerely,

• 3. Re: Anyone having their screen freeze up (pic)?
              sylvia_intel

RickardA, please let me know the results.

• 4. Re: Anyone having their screen freeze up (pic)?
                RickardA

I made notes on some of the drivers on the NUCs from work and am now trying to slowly install mine from scratch by adding driver by driver. One of the windows updates threw in a graphics driver which is not the same as on the functioning NUCs and the one on downloadcenter.intel.com is to new. To make things interesting, the problem emerged after that. Is there a way to search for older versions of drivers, such as the "intel hd graphics 4000"-driver? It would be an excellent possibility to determine if the problem is in the driver or one of windows update-files.

• 5. Re: Anyone having their screen freeze up (pic)?
                  RickardA

Okay, after several reinstalls (thank God for the speed of SSD and USB3) and careful testing after each added update and driver, I think I now can conclusively say that MY intel NUC does not play well with any versions of the graphics driver from Intel. If you run the graphics via Microsofts default VGA driver it works without a hitch. As I mentioned before we have two other NUCs of the same model and windows version at work, and they seem to work fine, so my guess is that this is simply the result of something broken in the device itself, which only comes into play with the Intel driver. Would Sylvia agree? How would I go about to get a replacement?

• 6. Re: Anyone having their screen freeze up (pic)?
                    sylvia_intel

At this point RickardA, since you already tested previous and newer drivers, and there are 2 NUCs working fine, I suggest you to replace this unit.

Please get in touch with our Warranty Department so they can help you to replace it:   http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

• 7. Re: Anyone having their screen freeze up (pic)?
                      RickardA

Okay, so, before I went through the whole thing of warranty I took the opportunity to test exchanging hardware between my NUC and one from work. This resulted in that I could deduce that the problem was due to a malfunctioning RAM chip. With it removed my NUC works as it should. What kind of RAM error that sneaks through the POST but fails in windows, I don't know. And it's especially weird that going with a default driver would make the error still occurr but at a later stage. Anyway, hope this is of any help for other users.

• 8. Re: Anyone having their screen freeze up (pic)?
                        sylvia_intel

RickardS, I'm glad to know that you were able to find the problem for this behavior. Thanks a lot for sharing with us how you resolved it.