My issue with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST), DX58SO and Windows 7 x64 is resolved with Intel RST version 188.8.131.526. The link below was provided by Intel Tech Support on a Support Chat.
After two Intel Support chat sessions where the techs were pushing CTRL I to create a RAID 5 volume in lieu of troubleshooting the RST, I was finally offered the above link, because I didn't want to reload Windows 7 and all the other programs on my system disk. If you use CTRL I to create a RAID volume, you will lose everything on the volume disks, to include the OS.
The DX58SO Support Driver Download Center has RST 10.1.0.1008. When I attempted to install this driver, my system froze at the windows start screen. I was required to repair windows and use system restore to get the system to boot again.
About a year ago, an Intel tech on Intel Support Chat recommended using the RST 184.108.40.2062 on the DX58SO2/DX58OG driver download to resolve the issue with RST 10 noted above. RST 220.127.116.112 installed without freezing Windows, but would not create a RAID volume due to "unknown error."
Today, on Intel Support Chat, a tech offered a link to RST 18.104.22.1686 and suggested I remove all optical drives from the board. I did and I got the same results as RST 22.214.171.1242. The program loaded without freezing Windows, but fails to create a RAID volume due to "unknown error."
Today on my second Intel Support Chat, a tech offered a link to RST 126.96.36.1996, the link posted above. It worked. The program loaded without freezing Windows and it created a RAID 5 volume without errors.
I asked the techs why these versions of RST were not on the DX58SO driver download center and they both indicated that the driver download center is not up to date. I find that strange.
This RST issue has existed on three different versions of the DX58SO; boards with AA numbers that ended in 501, 503 and 705. So, I don't think this is an isolated tech issue.
If you're Intel RST program on a DX58SO running Win 7 Pro x62 fails to create a RAID volume due to "unknown error," then the fix is likely the link posted above.