Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Intel VT-x virtualization + Sun VirtualBox

idata
Employee

I want to install a 64bit operating system to Sun's VirtualBox. It is mandatory to check VT-x/AMD-V under General setting, otherwise the 64bit guest will fail to detect the cpu and won't be able to boot. I checked that, but after trying to boot VirtualBox says that VT-x hardware acceleration has been enablet, but is not operational. It says that this feature should enabled in BIOS. However, there are no settings in my BIOS that could enable it and my vendor was not quite helpful. Is there any other way enable it or the BIOS is the only solution?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

I just posted a simular question. I have same problem, cannot find setting in BIOS. VirtualBos is checked and so is I/O APCI as per the Sun Documention . Please post anything you find and I will do the same. My Win XP vM runs fine, its when I try installing WIN7 I have a problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What client are you using?

Here is as list of VT-x supported Intel Platforms.

http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx

I installed VirtualBox on top of Win 7 locally installed OS with Intel VT-x enabled.

64-bit OS installed in VirtualBox sucessfully

32-bit OS installed in VirtualBox sucessfully

If I disable VT-x the 32-bit OS will still run, but the 64-bit will get the error experienced above. Hope the above link for VT-x enabled Intel Platforms helps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it even though it was of no use. I already checked that my processor supports Intel VT-x. My problem is that there is no setting in BIOS to enable it and it is disabled by default. So the question is still open, is there any other way to enable it or the BIOS is the only one?

idata
Employee

Unfortunately, you will have to obtain a BIOS upgrade from your vendor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's bad news I'm already using the most recent BIOS and it's futile to ask them to create a new, more advanced one with that option built in. They are a sort of... dumb... on answering questions. I asked them if there is any way to enable that feature, because I found no such option in the BIOS. Their answer was that there was no such option in the BIOS Not a single 'We're sorry' or a 'We don't know'. They just simply repeated what I stated before.

Well, it seems that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'll have to get used to it that there will be no 64bit OS under my VirtualBox. Or at least not until I change my vendor. That's a pity

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi All

i also had this problem on my hp dc7800 (Intel® Core™2 Duo E6550 processor (2.33 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB)...

i have enable VTx and VTd on BIOS

BIOS----->Security ------>System Security ------->enable VTx and VTD

after that its worked fine i think this will be helpfull to all

Thanks

SLDP

0 Kudos