10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 3:15 AM by joepayne

Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor

joepayne

I am trying to help a friend who purchased a Gateway computer with an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor. He wants to get rid of Vista 64 bit and replace it with Windows XP Home 32 bit. He bought a legal copy of Windows XP home 32 bit and tried to run the installation but keeps getting the blue screen of death. We are in different states and I am trying to help him over the phone so you can see my delima. Will that processor run a 32 bit OS? If so is there something special that has to be done in order to get it to load? The computer is a Gateway LX6810-01. We have reset the bios to the defaults but that didn't help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The reason for the change is that some of his software won't run on Vista 64. Would having more than 4 Gb's of physical ram in the computer stop Windows 32 bit from loading? Thanks in advance.  Joe

• 1. Re: Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor
          herbert_intel

this processor isn't a 64 bit processor. Its a 32 bit processor with 64bit memory addressing extensions. the 64 in it comes as a bonus on top of the normal 32 bit capabilities.

My guess is that your friend isn't installing the necessary drivers for windows XP. Vista, being newer, has many more drivers already embedded in the installation but xp doesn't.

The problem is that OEM manufacuters, when the validate a system to work with a particular OS (such as Vista) won't provide drivers for other OSes.

having more than 4GB shouldn't do any harm.

OJ

• 2. Re: Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor
            joepayne

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I didn't explain fully. When trying to do the install of Windows XP Home 32 bit the install checks the computer, then loads the windows generic drivers but never reaches the point where you see the eula screen or the screen where you choose the partition to load the OS on. I don't know what drivers could be needed except maybe sata drivers. Could there be a setting in the bios that needs to be turned off like the 64 bit memory addressing extensions? I wish I had the computer in front of me as this would make both our jobs a lot easier. This is why I never have done telephone tech support. Thanks again.  Joe

• 3. Re: Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor
              herbert_intel

you shouldn't need to disable 64 bit extensions. (most bioses don't let you).

There should be an option to make the sata raid controller to work in 'ide emulation' mode.

Its hard for us to help out since not all bioses are the same and i never worked with a gateway bios so it hard to say exactly where the option it.

There is also the possibility that the bios doesnt have that option at all since it may have been designed with vista in mind.

OJ

• 4. Re: Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor
                joepayne

Thanks again. It is very difficult to find the problem when the computer is 500 miles away from me so I understand. I have never been a fan of gateway and personally believe that a gateway computer wouldn't make a good trotline weight. I will try again to figure out the problem. Even though the problem isn't solved, I have learned something and that makes this worthwhile. Have a good day.   Joe

• 5. Re: Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor
                  charleswright

i too am having a similar problem. a computer (P3) developed a motherboard problem, so i decided to upgrade it. the new motherboard is ASUS with a 2.5G processor. when i try to boot windows XP (32-bit, the original hard drive), it just cycles and roboots endlessly (displaying the "did not shut down properly" merssage each time). i put in a drive containing Red Hat Linux and it booted just fine. then i took the hard drive out of another machine running 32-bit XP and it, too, would not boot (same problem as the first XP drive).

then i found this on Microsoft's web site:

Intel Itanium-based computers can run only 64-bit versions of Windows. Intel Itanium-based computers cannot run 32-bit versions of Windows. Currently, 64-bit versions of Windows run only on Itanium-based computers and on AMD64-based computers.

that really sucks. i bought a 64-bit XP upgrade, but i need to boot the original first. i am about to take the motherboard back and get an AMD based board to see if that works.

Oct 2010 update: a few months ago, i got a copy of WindowsXP 32-bit edition that had service pack 2 applied. it booted and installed on the 64-bit computer without problems. the original hard disk had service pack 2 installed as well, but it would not boot. this make me suspect that some drivers for the SATA drives were not installed in the original disk. any new mother boards probably are going to be SATA, so this might be something to look at if you are having problems.

• 6. Re: Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor
                    herbert_intel

please understand. the problem you are having has nothing to do whether the OS is 32 bit or 64 bit. The problems you are having are driver relates. You are probably not giving windows the necessary hard drisk controller drives for it to work properly.

OJ

• 7. Re: Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor
                      joepayne

Doesn't a Windows XP install CD come with the correct hard disk controllers? I do not understand how the hard disk drivers can be a problem. Would you use 64 bit hard disk controllers to load a 32 bit OS? This doesn't compute in my pea brain logic. Do not misunderstand. I don't question your expertise on this subject. I am just having a hard time understanding why the install cd wouldn't load the correct drivers during the install process. Thanks for trying to help anyway. I guess I'm just too dumb to understand.

• 8. Re: Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor
                        charleswright

guess i fall into the "too dumb to understand" category as well, cuz i do not see it. from what i am seeing in the boot attempts, it never gets to the driver stage, so i suspect the problem is in the boot program itself. i talked to a friend across town and he is running Windows 2000 Server on a DuoCore 2.6-GHz processor and has no problems, so i suspect this is strictly an XP problem.

XP and 64-bit processors have been around a while. surely others have run into this and there must be a solution.

• 9. Re: Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor
                          herbert_intel

sorry that i havent replied for a few days now. i've been a bit ill with a cold.

here's what happens:

in order for the OS to access the drives they need to access the Hard Drive Controller. this is done via the driver.

IDE controllers have been around for so long that they all have a 'common' access mode. Which means that they all have a standard set of commands which are the same across the board. These commands are called ATAPI. they have been around for so long that every modern operating system has a basic, standard drives to access ATAPI devices. XP is such an OS.

With sata controller, which natively doesn't implement ATAPI, havent been around for a long time, so XP (remember, XP is a 8 year old OS) doesn't have built in drivers for SATA devices.

some SATA controller have the ability to emulate IDE controllers so that ATAPI drivers would work just fine but normally SATA uses the common access interface called AHCI. (analogous to ATAPI).

XP doesn't include AHCI drivers therefore one has to give drivers to the OS installation before it will recognize the disk controller and, in the process, recognize the drives.

so, when using XP with a sata controller in IDE (ATAPI) mode, it works just fine.

when using XP with a sata controller with its native mode or AHCI mode, no drivers are available.

Most of these problems were resolved in Vista and 7 since they include both more drivers for native sata controllers and most importantly, they include a standard AHCI driver which works with any sata controller that supports AHCI.

check your motherboard manufacturer for drivers.

XP 32 needs 32 bit drivers.

xp 64 needs 64 bit drivers.

(again remember, this problem has nothing to do with the processor supporting 64 bit or otherwise).

OJ

• 10. Re: Running Windows XP 32 bit on an Intel Q8200 64 bit processor
                            joepayne

Thank you for your reply. I now understand, ojconcentrate. I will d/l the SATA drivers for my friends computer and have them available when the install starts. Thanks again for being so paitient with me on this.