Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel Core 2 P7350 vs P8400

idata
Employee

I'm getting a new computer and I think it is going to be a Mac Mini, which comes stadard with a 2.0 GHz P7350, however I have the option to upgrade to a 2.26 GHz P8400. What I am going to be using the computer for mostly is music software including Logic Pro and Reason, I'm not sure how many familiar with how these programs work or how processor intensive they are, but that is my main point of interest. Based on the little I know it doesn't seem like there would be much of a difference, if any, in terms of how these programs would operate so I am leaning towards not paying the extra $150. FWIW I'm getting 2 GB of RAM which seems like enough. I'm currently using a 2002(!) PC with a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 (single core) so I would expect that either of these will be a lot faster than what I am using now. Any tips or advice will be appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

lucky for you, you are compating apples to apples .

Both processors have the same specification, cache memory size, Front side buses etc. except that one is 13%ish faster. so its up to you whether you want a faster processor or not.

OJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did you ever get the P8400 to operate in a Mac Mini? If so what else did you have to change. thanks in advance---Phil