Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14615 Discussions

i5 3570k temperature too high?

idata
Employee

Hello!

I just bought an i5 3570k CPU and was trying out Blender with the internal HD 4000 GPU. I was rendering a project (CPU render setting with Cycles render) and everything was going fine but when i started a program to check my core temperatures i noticed that they were very high. All the cores were at around 78-80C and sometimes one of the cores was hitting 83C for some seconds. I read on forums that everything above 70 or 80C can damage the CPU permanently and lower the performance.

I also found this post on forums /message/155215# 155215 http://communities.intel.com/message/155215 in which an intel person is saying that the normal temperature for 3570k is 72-75C. I am worried i have ruined my CPU... What can i do to test if it is ok? Should i be worried with these temperatures? Is using the internal GPU the cause of those high temperatures? Help please.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hi Zalp,

Your processor has a TCase value of 67.4°C; anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use.

When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it will not be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

regads,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hi Zalp,

Your processor has a TCase value of 67.4°C; anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use.

When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it will not be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

regads,

0 Kudos