1 2 3 Previous Next 278 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2016 10:43 AM by EstebanC_Intel

Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!

nic

Hello Graphics Communities!

For a very long time now we've been trying to track down, diagnose, and correct an issue that seems to be happening all across the board with Intel® Graphics.  Users, for various reasons - seem to have issues with OEM systems (and Intel® NUC's) losing their display for different events.

• Installing new drivers
      • Rebooting
      • Computers idling, going into sleep or hibernation
      • Other random events

We have run into a stumbling block in fixing this issue, and that is that we are unable to reproduce the symptoms above.  We have ordered exact-matching systems, displays and cables - and matched our configurations to those of the users having problems, and we are completely unable to reproduce the problem.  The issue is complex, but in this particular case - it stems from the fact that two users with the same configuration are not guaranteed to have the problem, it varies from user to user, system to system, display to display.

What we at Intel® are asking now though is 2-fold.  If you are one of these users (or a business) experiencing a consistent black-screening issue as mentioned above, we would like to procure your COMPLETE system configuration.  This means, we want you to ship us (at our expense) - the System (desktop or laptop), display (TV, monitor) AND the cable (hdmi, dp, dvi, vga) used by your system when it starts to have a blackscreen failure.  If you are willing to do this, you should be aware that we will keep your system for an extended period, and will compensate you by replacing your setup.

NOW!  Even if you are not willing to send us your system, and would just like to inform us that you have a black-screen issue.  That is okay too. Even if you have already submitted this info in some of our other black-screen threads, feel free to submit it here too.  Please submit the following information into this thread so that we can continue to document all possible instances of it.  Just copy and paste the below list and put in relevant information (completely!).  *NOTE* If you have not already done so, please update your BIOS and Display Driver to the latest version available.  We cannot accept a report of a failing configuration that is not up to date.  Additionally, if you are running your display through a 3rd party device such as a projector or an AV/R (receiver), you need to show that the problem still occurs without the extra device connected (a direct connection from system to display is required).

Are you willing to send your system to us? (Yes/No)
      Is your system a laptop or desktop?
      If desktop, is it custom built, or manufactured?
      If desktop, what is the make/model of your motherboard?
      What is the make/model of your system? (COMPLETE model name required)
      What is the model of your CPU?
      What is the make/model of your failing display(s)?
      If laptop, is your built-in display failing? (Yes/No)
      What is your operating system?
      Is it a 64-bit or 32-bit operating system?
      What display driver version do you have installed?
      What type of connection are you using? (HDMI, VGA, DP, DVI?)
      What happens that results in the blackscreen failure?

Any/all information is valuable.

Thank you for your information & cooperation!

-Nic

• 1. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
          Andrey

Hello Nic.

No

Desktop

Custom built

Intel DZ68DB

?

Intel Core i7-2600K

NEC MultiSync PA231W

Windows 8 Pro

64-bit

DisplayPort

I usually locking my PC using Win+L and after minute display switches to power saving mode (turns off) or it turns off after 15 minutes of inactivity. After resuming from power saving mode (note: display turns on!) sometimes display shows black image. To "fix" this I have to press Win+L again, wait 1 minute and press any key or move a mouse.

• 2. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
            njs50

no

mac mini late 2012 server

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

DELL U3011

OSX 10.8.3 (fully up to date)

Whatever is the latest that apple provides

DELL U3011 = DP @ 2560x1600 + Second monitor on hdmi @ 1920x1200. Both are connected via a KVM, as there seemed to be some issues between the display port implementation from apple and the one from dell. Using the kvm fixed the sleep issues i was having until the last update.

After last mac updates (bios/osx) every time my DP screen was put to sleep it would refuse to wake again. I would have to reboot to get the monitor functioning again. The monitor on hdmi doesn't have any issues. Prior to the last batch of updates (there was a bios and osx update at the same time i think) it was working, tho intermittently it would refuse to wake up from sleep (maybe once every few days).

Testing:

I installed bootcamp to see if there were any issues in windows. Noticed that sleep/resume worked fine, however I then had intermittent flickering on both screens.

Also prior to this latest updates switching monitors on the KVM had caused the display port in OSX to resync after it failed, that doesn't work anymore. In windows 7 whenever it failed power cycling the monitor would fix it. Nothing on OSX would fix it however.

Swapped the ram modules in my machine from "Strontium 1600mhz ddr3 16GB mac compatible" back to the 4GB that came with the mac. All the issues went away. Sleep/resume works in OSX and no flickering in windows.

I've suspected issues with the ram in the past, but Memtest86+ v4.2 has been running for ~24hrs without finding any isssues. Also before the last update there hadn't been any issues with sleep/resume. So it's a bit odd really...

It does seem a little like the issue could be related to the drivers on the mac not handling the extra video ram assigned when you go from 4 to 16gb (goes from 512mb to 756mb). Also prior to the last firmware/osx updates I had tried swapping the ram and it hadn't resolved the intermittent failures.

Anyways, hope theres something in this rambling that is useful,...

• 3. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
              Kim Torkelson

Yes (we can send two or three if that helps)

Desktop

Custom white-box by local manufacturer

Intel DB75EN

No model name, we call them "DB75EN"

1. 3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3450

1. Various...  NEC AccuSync AS191WM, 

Also sometimes.....AccuSync LCD193WXM,  AccuSync LCD194WXM

Windows XP w/ SP3

32-bit

Intel(R) HD Graphics [Display adapter] 6.14.10.5437

Novell ZENworks Remote Management Driver [Display adapter]

DVI and/or VGA, we've tried both

1. Varies....  on the same model systems it can be running fine and suddenly the display winks out and won't come back.  Sometimes when the user boots up, there's no display.  Usually the Help Desk can remote into the machine and log it in and do stuff with the desktop (sometimes the display comes back as a result).  When these units come to the shop, we've often been able to resurrect them by switching from DVI to VGA or vice-versa.  Also, we remove the battery and RAM for a few minutes, then if we get a display we check/update BIOS.  We've had this issue on multiple versions of the BIOS, with different monitors, different cables, single display/multiple display. 

The one currently on the bench will not display with on-board video at all, but we can get display through a dedicated video card, which we can enclose.  We can also remote into it with our Novell Zen system.

We have 631 of these systems, with 15 of them coming to the shop, but quite a few more being worked on and resolved (often temporarily, we have several repeat offenders) on-site.

Our electronics guru says the problem is with a weak sync pulse that can't activate the monitor to display.  If we unplug the display cable (VGA or DVI), and plug it back in, we can sometimes get the display, at least for a while.

• 4. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                Eric Johnson

Hi Nic,

Finding out...

Desktop

Custom built starting with a Shuttle SH67H3 bare-bone.

Shuttle SH67H3

Shuttle SH67H3

Intel Core i5-2500k

Samsung 940B, Samsung 204B, Many other Samsung models + 1 AOC monitor I cannot remember the brand of, Only appears to be happening on DVI or HDMI, not VGA.

Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows x Pro x64

x64

Latest available from Shuttle website, Have also tried latest version from Intel website but same problem

Using VGA and HDMI/DVI (Dual monitor setup), Problem doesnt occur on VGA port, only DVI/HDMI ports.

In the middle of working the screen will start flickering and sometime just go completely black for a few minutes or until the computer is restarted. Remote access to the comuputer via TeamViewer works perfectly during this time.

• 5. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                  nic

Thank you for the information so far everyone!  For those of you willing to contribute your systems to the cause - we are still working on seeing if we will be able to procure or borrow your systems.  I will provide another update when we have worked something out!

Thanks again,

-Nic

• 6. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                    Milton

Even my PC has the same problem, I feel really sad for Kim Torkelson and my situation is similar to his.

No
                    Is your system a laptop or desktop?desktop
                    If desktop, is it custom built, or manufactured?custom built
                    If desktop, what is the make/model of your motherboard?Maximus V Gene
                    What is the make/model of your system? (COMPLETE model name required)N/A
                    What is the model of your CPU?i5 3570k
                    What is the make/model of your failing display(s)?Asus VS248
                    If laptop, is your built-in display failing? (Yes/No)N/A
                    What is your operating system?Win7
                    Is it a 64-bit or 32-bit operating system?64 bit
                    What display driver version do you have installed?Intel_Graphics_V815102712_Win7(64 bit version from official website)
                    What type of connection are you using? (HDMI, VGA, DP, DVI?)DVI
                    What happens that results in the blackscreen failure?The PC must be hard reset. Then I tried to enter safe mode to uninstall the driver. Sometimes this work. Sometimes I cannot enter safe mode so I can only re-install the OS. After several times of this, I ghosted the system without the driver for later use.

Any/all information is valuable.

I use Asus 9600GT as the only video card and connect with the monitor via DVI. This card has dual DVI output.

I don't have a HDMI cable even it is supported by my monitor and motherboard.

As I said in another thread

"I don't expect the driver to be perfect but I wish when it goes wrong, I can have a chance to rollback, like a prompt message box say if this driver does not work the driver will automatically roll back in 30 seconds."

• 7. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                      njs50

As a followup to my previous post I've done some more experimenting with the mac mini.

I have 4 ram modules (2x2gb and 2x8gb) all four modules have been extensively tested (Memtest86+, Mac Server mem tester) for 30hours+ in two different machines.

Tested on a fresh install of OSX 10.8.3, no other software installed.

Results are:

2x2gb modules installed : no issues

1x8gb module : no issues (with either module)

1x2gb module + 1x8gb module (any of the modules, in any slot) : sleep / resume seems to work but eventually the display port monitor will flicker then go into sleep mode. Display port monitor recovers after power cycling the monitor, but will eventually flicker then go into sleep mode again.

2x8gb modules :  Display port monitor blanks after system resume from sleep. Noticed on the fresh install (which was on an external firewire drive instead of the normal ssd) that the display port does wake for a second or so before going back to sleep. I wondered if maybe there was some disk activity briefly before it went back to sleep. Rebooting the machine is the only way to get the display port monitor working again in this case.

my conclusion is that this issue is occuring due to having > 8GB of ram. I'll probably buy 2x4GB modules at some stage to test it out.

• 8. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                        Texas1st
                        Are you willing to send your system to us? (Yes/No)Not at this time.  If the problem continues, maybe
                        Is your system a laptop or desktop?Laptop
                        If desktop, is it custom built, or manufactured?Manufactured
                        What is the make/model of your system? (COMPLETE model name required)Dell Inspiron 15r 3521
                        What is the model of your CPU?Intel Core i3-3227U
                        What is the make/model of your failing display(s)?Dell LCD
                        If laptop, is your built-in display failing? (Yes/No)Yes
                        What is your operating system?Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Clean Install)
                        Is it a 64-bit or 32-bit operating system?64
                        What display driver version do you have installed?Dell 9.17.10.
                        2867What type of connection are you using? (HDMI, VGA, DP, DVI?),A03.  Also tried Intel version

What happens that results in the blackscreen failure?As soon as any Intel driver is loaded, the system will reboot, splash screen comes up, and then the PC shuts off.  Will boot into Safe Mode.  Have to wipe the hard drive in order to get it back working in regular mode.
                        • 9. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                          Brian Sim

Nic - Before I answer your questions, could you first answer one : Are you using a Single-Link or Dual-Link DVI cable in your test system? Given some people have reported success with changing cables, I'm wondering if the issue is that Intel's driver is trying to send data over the missing dual-link pins and use Dual-Link mode permanently (even at 1920x1080 and lower resolutions where it's completely unnecessary to use dual-link bandwidth), which would cause a single link cable / single-link monitors to show "no signal", whereas the "stock" Windows 7 "VESA" driver (or whatever they call it these days) just uses Single Link and works all the time?

If you're currently using a dual link DVI cable on your test system, could you please retest your system using a single link DVI cable just to rule that out? This would certainly explain why some DVI (and HDMI) cables work but other DVI don't.

For other posters who don't understand, here's what the difference looks like. You might want to add the question : "If DVI, are you using a single link or dual link cable" to your questionnaire. For posters who have already posted, please add single vs dual link cables if you're using DVI.

Anyway, here's my experience:-

Are you willing to send your system to us? : No. I live in Europe and it would cost too much / take too long.

Is your system a laptop or desktop? : Desktop.

If desktop, is it custom built, or manufactured? : Custom built.

If desktop, what is the make/model of your motherboard? : ASUS - P8Z77-M (NB: It was my motherboard but it got sent back for another reason, and I've decided to wait for Haswell in June).

What is the make/model of your system? (COMPLETE model name required) : NA

What is the model of your CPU? : i5-3570k

What is the make/model of your failing display(s)? LG-W2442PA

If laptop, is your built-in display failing? (Yes/No) : NA

What is your operating system? : Windows 7

Is it a 64-bit or 32-bit operating system? : 32-bit

What display driver version do you have installed? : Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver V8.15.10.2712 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) downloaded from Asus site. I also tried the newest one from Intel directly. Both the same problem.

What type of connection are you using? (HDMI, VGA, DP, DVI?) : DVI - single link cable.

What happens that results in the blackscreen failure? : Here goes:-

1. I bought an Asus P8Z77-M motherboard & i5-3570k CPU and installed it with a discrete AMD 7790 HD graphics card with the monitor hooked up to the discrete card then installed AMD's drivers. Result : Works perfectly.
                          2. Then I enabled dual-monitor & Virtu-MVP support in the BIOS (with the intention of using it in "D-Mode" (GFX card is primary output but Virtu-MVP enables Intel output for QuickSync encoding). Result : Also works perfectly (where Windows 7 uses its own standard "VESA" type driver).
                          3. Then I installed Intel's drivers. Monitor goes dead. Not just on the Intel DVI output - but even on the AMD discrete card DVI output!
                          4. I completely uninstall both AMD's & Intel's drivers, and completely remove the discrete GFX card and connect the monitor to motherboard DVI output. Result : Works perfectly (again, only where Windows 7 uses its own standard "VESA" type driver).
                          5. I then install Intel's driver. Result : Monitor goes dead.

If it works on some cables but not others I can only assume it's a single vs dual link DVI thing or timing issue, and that Intel's driver is forcing the DVI output to use dual-link mode constantly whereas Windows 7 driver uses Single-Link constantly. Likewise, it cannot be a "signal too weak" hardware issue with cable or GFX output, because the monitor & cable works flawlessly with stock Windows 7 drivers at same 1920x1080x60Hz and with a multitude of different AMD / NVidia cards and other monitors / TV's.

The key "black screen" issue appears to be either:-

1. Intel's driver is trying to force all output to dual-link which would fail on single-link cables and single-link only compatible monitors.

2. Intel's driver is screwing up / misreading Windows DDC timings and not "seeing" the monitor because of that.

Hope this helps, Nic.

• 10. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                            Texas1st

Brian, One quick question.  What memory are you using?  Something I found out during my continued troubleshooting my my system is that the video drivers fail when I had a stick of Kingston DDR3 memory in the system.  With it in there, the system ran fine doing anything I wanted until I loaded the video driver.  Then Poof!  I pulled that stick and ran with the stick from the factory and it was fine.  Tried with just this stick and the driver fails to load, and Windows crashes.  I'm running Memtest on it now to see if there is a problem with the stick.  it was brand new fresh out of the package.

FYI: The memory was Kingston KTA-MB1333/4G.  I'm also going to go compare the specs and make sure I didn't miss something when I picked it.

• 11. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                              Brian Sim

Hi Texas1st - I'm using 2x 4GB Crucial 16000MHz DDR3 RAM sticks. It's not that though as I ran Memtest86 multiple passes and it passed just fine. I don't get any crashes at all - just a "dead" monitor that can't see what Intel's driver is outputting (but only when Intel's drivers are installed - the Windows 7 standard VESA driver is fine).

I do only have a single link DVI cable though which is why that sprang to mind, ie Intel's drivers might be sending half of the output over each "link" on the output (normal for 2,560x1600 @ 60Hz or 1920x1080 @ 120Hz that require such bandwidth, but not for 1920x1080 @60Hz which fits easily over a single link). The Windows 7 "VESA" driver might be sending all 60Hz over a single link (as do discrete cards) but the Intel driver may be sending half the signal over one link and half over another. If that's the case, with a dual-link cable & compatible monitor, it'll work, but with a single link, half the signal ends up missing. It's all I can think of that explains why one cable works but another non faulty cable doesn't. Likewise with monitors that work perfectly well with discrete cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI#Dual-link_DVI

Unfortunately, I sent the motherboard back and can't test that thesis, but maybe someone with both a single & dual-link DVI cable can swap them and test it? Thanks.

• 12. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                                Texas1st

Brian, Memtest has now been running on this system/memory for over 5 1/2 hours, with multiple passes and no errors.  I don't think it's a memory problem so much as it is a problem with the way the chip is addressing the memory.  since this is a laptop, the connection is straight from the motherboard to the LCD.  I'm not sure if it's using DVI protocols for the data, or if it is using the old VGA protocols.  I haven't tried an external monitor on it yet when it boots with the driver.  Maybe it is splitting the signal like you are suggesting, not getting a complete signal and shutting down.  As long as the Intel drivers are not loaded, this machine will do anything you want it to.  I'm thinking about some kind of stress test to run on it for a couple of days without the drivers.  I'm pretty sure the problem is not a component issue, but a design issue.  I'm also going to try different brands of memory (happen to have some Samsung DDR3 laying around that came out of Sony laptops when we bought them.

• 13. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                                  Reuben-Molina
                                  No
                                  Laptop
                                  Asus N53S
                                  Intel 2nd Generation 2630QM
                                  Intel HD 3000
                                  Yes
                                  Windows 7
                                  The latest
                                  Randomly, sometimes when loading up a map in game or during start up, or when an application goes fullscreen. Before the screen goes totally black, sometimes, if I lift the laptop up on its back and let it drop on itself the flickering screen will fix itself for a few more minutes before going fully black again.
                                  • 14. Re: Official Black-screen thread - We need your help!
                                    JakeM

Looking for some help here.  Sooo frustrated with intel right now.  This is such an old bug to be unresolved.

No

Desktop

Asus asus p8z77-v lk
                                    core i5-3570K
                                    Intel HD 3000
                                    NA
                                    Windows 7

The system cannot recognize an attached DVI monitor.  The DVI monitor works fine right up until windows loads.  At that point, it goes black.  The graphics manager does not recognize it.  I can have an HDMI and VGA monitor both on at the same time, but not DVI, which is very frustrating for my specific setup.

Additionally, the graphics manager doesn't recognize attached HDMI devices without a restart.

I've changed out monitor, cables, and driver versions.

Interestingly, when I upgrade or downgrade my driver, the DVI monitor is magically recognized after install.  However, upon performing the required restart in order to finalize installation, POOF, no more DVI recognition.

Get it together, intel.

1 2 3 Previous Next