3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 2:25 PM by Aryan2411

Installing 2008 SP2 on S3200SH Server Board

CharleyO

Help!

We just can't get Windows Datacenter 2008 SP2 Core to see the SATA RAID 5 Array (2 partitions) created using the integrated Intel Matrix storage device. I called Intel and was told the Matrix array support should be native in all versions of 2008 SP2. I even tried adding drivers for other server versions as a test... nothing. I have deleted and recreated the array several times. As a last resort I tried using 2008 Datacenter R2 Core (RC) . . . and it worked perfectly. So... I know the array is correct.

Does anyone have any idea what we are doing wrong? Any idea how to get the array recognized by Server 2008 SP2? I can't see using an RC to build this box, since I don't believe it can be upgraded to RTM.  . . . and we don't want to wait for the release of R2.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Charlie

• 1. Re: Installing 2008 SP2 on S3200SH Server Board
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

I have installed Windows Server 2008 Standard/Enterprise/Server Core/Data Center several times on this board without any problem.

Actually, using the Intel Matrix Controller, the Windows Vista/2008/Seven have the F6 raid controller driver embedded in the Operating System.

So there is no need to embed the driver as the drive should be automatically recognised, and thus allowing you to do the installation of the OS.

Actually, after installing the OS, i used to install the Intel Storage Matrix Manager as it installed the Intel Raid Driver.

I remember to get problem installing Windows 2008 & Windows Vista only when using an OEM version of the Windows. Actually, it could not find the drives and it does not load the Intel F6 Driver, it gives an error message, Contact your vendor ...

When using a non-OEM version, it works perfectly fine, so i will say probably, this can be your case as well.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Aryan

• 2. Re: Installing 2008 SP2 on S3200SH Server Board
            CharleyO

Thanks. Very odd. I am using various different versions of 2008 from our Technet subscription. I don't believe any SP2 versions actually still have the F6 option... just an "install drivers button on the drive screen.

• 3. Re: Installing 2008 SP2 on S3200SH Server Board
              Aryan2411

Hi there,

When I said F6 option earlier, I meant that loading driver options that you get on Vista or 2008 or Seven, I am not referring to old F6 method like in XP/2003.

Sorry, I did not explain clearly earlier.

So, as I said earlier, I did get trouble installing Vista/2008 OEM version in RAID Mode and it did not accept the driver when I load it from the USB Key.

Same thing works fine with other non-OEM Windows Version.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Aryan.