14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2009 10:29 AM by rally2xs

Computer Boots Automatically

rally2xs

Hi,

Built computer using DX58SO board.  Computer works fine.  Weird thing is that it boots as soon as power is applied, rather than waiting for press of the button on the front of the case.  Upon shutdown, fans continue to run.  Is there a BIOS setting for this?  Something else?  Would like it to wait for me to press the power button on the front of the case before it boots, like the rest of my machines for the last 10 years or so.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Head

• 1. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

As long as that you have the latest BIOS, this should not behave like this.

Usually, when it does like this, it can be problem of the 12V connector from the Power Supply.

So I will advise you to try the system out of the chassis with out front panel connected (turn on the board using a screwdriver check on the TPS with pins to use to switch it on) and check if it behaves the same way.

If yes, try another Power Supply ATX Version 2.2 at least.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Aryan.

• 2. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
            lowblack

Hi there,

Please check this option in BIOS menu-->Power-->After power failure,if it's not "stay off",select it and save

Let me know if it works

• 3. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
              rally2xs

>As long as that you have the latest BIOS, this should not behave like this.

Well, it isn't the _latest_ BIOS, but is the one that came with the board. It is SOX5810J . 86A . 2127 . 2008 . 0914 . 1638

>Usually, when it does like this, it can be problem of the 12V connector from the Power Supply.

The 24-pin connector is on a cable that comes directiy out of the Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 AP.  It appears to be properly seated in the matching motherboard socket.

>So I will advise you to try the system out of the chassis with out front panel connected (turn on the board using a screwdriver check on the TPS with pins to

> use to switch it on) and check if it behaves the same way.

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure you don't mean to remove the board from the chassis ("out of the chassis" - what does that really mean?) and try to fire it up while it is sitting on a desktop or something like that.  So, I removed the 2 connectors that were labled as the Power and the reset switches.  Upon applying power to the computer, it booted right away, as before.

>If yes, try another Power Supply ATX Version 2.2 at least.

Well, it does the same thing.  Trying another power supply like that would be a seriously expensive approach, as the Thermaltake was about $180, if I remember right...  Any other way to test this?

>Let me know how it goes.

Nothing very enlightening, I'm afraid.  "Blasting" the BIOS with a new load has always been something that _every_ source I've ever read has said to avoid unless absolutely necessary, as it supposedly has a high failure rate and, if it fails  during the attempt, you get an unsuable board that, at the least, would require return for factory repair or at the worst a purchase of a new board.  Not doing it unless there is no other reasonable approach.

Thanks,

Dave Head

• 4. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                rally2xs

Hi,

>Please check this option in BIOS menu-->Power-->After power failure,if it's not "stay off",select it and save

Saw that before posting here.  Tried it.  It had no effect.

Thanks,

Dave Head

• 5. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                  lowblack

Hi,

Since you have  2127BIOS version,please try the latest BIOS4014. You can download from here http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx58so/

Let me know how it goes

• 6. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                    rally2xs

Any idea what Intel's policy is if this operation hiccups and the BIOS is rendered useless and the board is essentially a brick?  Do I get to spend $295 or so on a new board?  Can I sue somebody for providing me a brand new board as of April, 2009 with a BIOS that is circa September, 2008 and so out-of-date that it screws up in this manner?

Stuff I read in the magazines is that you shouldn't do this unless the terminator is closing in on your location, and getting the BIOS working is your last chance of survival, and it has about a 50-50 chance of creating a brick out of your board...

• 7. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                      rally2xs

Well, I went ahead and tried it, and it went as I expected.

I watched the video, downloaded the "EB" verison of the file, placed it on the desktop, and doubleclicked.  The video said that the computer would shut down, come back up, blast the bios, shut down again, come back up, and offer a confirmation or information screen that the BIOS has been updated.

What it did, 12 minutes ago, is simply shut down and stay that way, although the fans are still running and the pretty lights within these fans are still on.

Highly suspect that if I turn it off now, the board is a brick.  It may be a brick anyway.  I'm not sure that not turning it off is an option, but nothing is happening.

Film at 11, I guess.  I'm going to try to find Intel phone support.  Glad it isn't my only computer, and I still have this old one working, and that I backed up everything on that hard disk...

17 minutes now... no reboot...

• 8. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                        rally2xs

Got lucky.  When I found phone support wasn't available 'til at least Monday (probably Tuesday considering the Holiday) I simply turned off the power switch.  The restart gave an error messsage, "The firmware has detected that a CMOS checksum error has occurred."  I pressed enter and it booted and said that the Intel express bios update was successful.

Powered down, fans didn't go off.

Changed the power setting in the bios, to "last state", and the fans still don't go off after shutdown

Checked the bios and it is still the old bios.  No update occurrred, in reality.

Have to figure out the next move, as updating from windows apparently isn't going to work.

• 9. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                          rally2xs

Since you suspect the power supply or the 12 volt wire from it, and since you suggest a very expensive test of substituting a new power supply that would cost me large amounts of money to possibly find out that this isn't the problem, I've decided to take the computer to a local computer repair shop.  They'll fix anything wrong with it for a flat fee of $199 plus parts, and all the parts should be under warranty.  Did it with my old computer after I ran a Norton antivirus scan that deleted NTLDR - it took them a while but its been running fine ever since.

The bottom line is that there has been no way in H that I've been able to "update the bios".  I've tried it 2 different ways, once with the EXE file from windows, and once with a CD that was burned from the ISO file.  Both methods begin to display the right stuff to indicate that they are working, and then the computer shuts down and stays that way.

But a computer repair shop will have spare power supplies to test the problem and the ability to easily remove the board from the chassis (if that's what you really meant - dunno if this was jargon or not - you never replied to that)

But something is definitely wrong here.  If it was _just_ the inability to do a "normal" shutdown, I wouldn't mess with this, but now that I know that it is flat impossible to update the BIOS, and that the BIOS supplied was the one originally shipped with the board when it was first supplied to the market last September and that there has been something close to a dozen updates, I think it is imperative to get this system in a position that it can at least have the BIOS updated.

If this turns out to be simply an error in the bios that is causing all this, I think Intel owes me for supplying the board with anything but the latest bios..

Anyway, thanks for the help so far.

Dave Head

• 10. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                            rally2xs

Anybody wanna hear how this has turned out?

RMA'ed the board back, Intel declared "CID" - Customer Induced Damage due to cut traces.  They sent the board back. Before receiving it, I ordered a new DX58SO.  Then I got the board.  Looked at it.  Found 2 small red arrows pointing at some extremely small scratches on the board, that did traverse 2 traces.  Looked closely, and the traces are _not_ cut.  To confirm this, I got out my digital VOM and verified that both those traces are conducting electricity just fine.

Emailed Intel about it Wednesday night.  So far, no reply.  Sooo... I'm canceling the order for the DX58SO (I'll likely have to send some stuff back as it arrives.)  The only way there's going to be Intel in any of my computers in the future is if Intel honors its warranty and ships me a board.  This is outrageous.  If I can figure this out, then the exhaulted "techs" in their labs should be able to.   But the lack of response to my e-mail suggests this is by design.  I think they just don't want to have to send me another $260 board.

Banditry or incompetence.  Those are my choices, unless I hear something pretty d*** pronto.  Lack of response suggests banditry to me.  Will order an ASUS P6 as soon as I get the return of the DX58SO to Tiger Direct accomplished.

Dave Head

• 11. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                              pim

I dont know Intel bioses, but check the wake on stettings. Lan, keyboard, mouse etc. Turn it all off.

• 12. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                                rally2xs

Well, a computer tech declared the board to be dead, Intel refuses to warranty the board using a bogus excuse of "customer induced damage" concerning cut traces, probably believing that I'm too stupid to be able to test the traces in question and find out that they work just fine.  It is some screwball failure in something at the 24 pin connector, acccording to the aforementioned computer tech, so I'm buying an ASUS board.  The RMA bunch won't even talk to me on e-mail - no response.  Whaddaya wanna bet that those poeple that supposedly will call you with inquiries about how their customer service was will never find _me_!  (And, I'm by my phone most of the time, forwarding my home phone to my cell phone, etc.)

• 13. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                                  Simonsez9

Good Lord Another dude gone for ASUS board and Intel ppl r still sleeping WOW intel guys WOW

• 14. Re: Computer Boots Automatically
                                    rally2xs

Oh, its lots worse than just me.  The fellow that helped me put it together, and also knows how careful we were and that there is no "customer induced damage" works for the Navy, in the DON CIO - Department of the Navy -  Chief Information Office and no, he's not just the janitor - has to drive about 50 mi. into to DC every week to work in that office, and has lots to say about "things computer" in the Navy. That is the _entire_ Navy, not just Navair or Navsea.  He's told me that he _also_ will never have anything Intel in his computer ever again, as will I never.  Hasn't said anything about when what his work attitude is, but a personal decision like that can't be good for Intel.

Meanwhile, I've spent abt $250 on an Intel board that was toast out of the box, and $250 next on an ASUS board.  All in all, I shoulda just bought a commercially-manufactured computer.  Won't attempt to "save money" by assembling one myself again, 'cuz there's always gonna be some nonsense like this that just makes it a losing proposition.  I'm just shocked with 6 Gb of memory actually working.  That'll probably be next, too, since the ASUS board accepts 12, so 12 it wll be.  Whaddaya wanna bet that's next?