2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 1:53 PM by schriss

Intel 4965AGN will not connect to 5GHz network??

eagerinsight

I have a Dell XPS M1330 running Vista, I replaced the OE wireless G adapter with an Intel 4965AGN. I installed the adapter correctly and installed the most recent driver, but my laptop will not connect to a 5GHz wireless N network? My router is an Apple Time Capsule, with updated firmware and set to 5GHz 802.11n only. If I adjust the TC to 2.4GHz 802.11n only the adapter sees the network, likewise when I set the TC to B or G. I figured the adapter was faulty and had two replacements sent and now my third adapter still exhibits the same results? At 2.4GHz 802.11n only my connection speed is capped at 144 Mbps. I want the potential 300 Mbps connection speed, is there anything I can do to get this speed or is there a compatibility issue between my TC and the 4965AGN? I've seen other XPS M1330 with a 4965AGN connecting to other router at top speed.

• 1. Re: Intel 4965AGN will not connect to 5GHz network??
          herbert_intel

to be fair, the ones who will definitely know whether there is a compatibility issue is apple themselves.

(although it does sound like a compatibility problem).

OJ

• 2. Re: Intel 4965AGN will not connect to 5GHz network??

I get 300Mbps with 4965AGN on 5GHz.
            What I think was important, I have manually selected channels in the router to be: 40MHz only, Wide channel = 38, standard channel = 40. This is because only then my 4965AGN was able to see and connect to 5GHz. It's because channel 40 = exactly 5.200GHz. If you look at 4965AGN settings  you will seethey mention 5.2 so I thought I set my router to use exactly this channel and suddenly saw 5GHz network and was able to connect. Speed is 300Mbps. Both: router and 4965 have Frame Burst Enabled.
            When I connect to 2.4GHz I get 144Mbps. It's strange because with other N router I could only get 130Mbps, never more.

Notice: in 2.4 mode 4965AGN does no do channel bonding, this is why it's limited to 130/144Mbps. This was limited by Intel. Buy newer card or non-intel to get channel bonding on 2.4 band.