2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 3:56 AM by nmelot

Can't get core dumps from programs crashed

mwaughex

Cross post for Nil.

##http://marcbug.scc-dc.com/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=512

I'm trying to track what cause a segmentation fault in my SCC program. Since I

don't have gdb installed in the cores, I try to make cores to write a core dump

file I can then inspect with gdb.

However I set "ulimit -c unlimited" and I read with "ulimit -a" the line "-c:

core file size (blocks) unlimited" showing core dumps should be

generated. But I can't find any dump after my program segfaults.

How can I get core dumps actived on linux running on scc cores?

• 1. Re: Can't get core dumps from programs crashed
          JanArneSobania

Hi,

please check two things:

1. Has the kernel been configured with ELF_CORE=y? If not, it won't generate core dumps.
          2. What is reported by "cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern"? That pseudo-file specifies the name pattern where a core dump is saved, if it is generated. If using a relative path (like the default "core"), please make sure you look into the correct directory (= current directory at time of crash), and it is writable.

Regards,

Jan-Arne

• 2. Re: Can't get core dumps from programs crashed
            nmelot

Hi,

I use RCCE's default kernel I boot using "sccBoot -l". I don't know if the ELF_CORE option is enabled (=y) or not. Do you know where are the source for this kernel? Regarding your second point, the file /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern is "core", and the current directory is writable at the time of crash, and I can't find the file.

Nicolas