Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Updating BIOS, BMC, ME with Linux flashupdt error - BMC Firmware is already in Transfer Mode on Intel 2U R2308GZ4GC

idata
Employee

I was trying to update via Linux using flashupdt command server's BIOS/BMC/ME and etc. For some reason I always get an error in return:

Error BMC Firmware is already in Transfer Mode. Cannot start the update process.

What do I do so I could continue update process?

Best regards,

Ilia

P.S. I downloaded this pack from Intel Website: Intel® Server Board S2600GZ/GL Firmware Update for IDA and OFU. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Can you try a UEFI update?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No, Edward, I can't try UEFI, if I could I wouldn't ask for help here?

How do I overcome the following error and continue with OFU update:

Error BMC Firmware is already in Transfer Mode. Cannot start the update process.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Power off the system, remove the power cord, wait for 60 seconds, and power on the system again. If still can't flash BMC firmware, try to move the BMC Force Update jumper to force update mode.

What prevents you from trying UEFI update?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, I will try that tonight!

This prevents me from it and no one seems to help:

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Is that the same server? You mean you have physical access to that server? If yes the easiest way to clear CMOS settings is to move the CMOS clear jumper on the board. Sorry I thought you can only remote to that Linux system.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I could have physical access to my server, but it would take some time to get to the data-center. This is why I'm trying to do it remotely!

Thanks, Edward!

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos