Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Quick Sync not available

idata
Employee

I recently upgraded my system and rebuilt using a 3770K and Asus P8Z77-V Premium motherboard. I have a nVidia GT240 installed which is running my display via VGA (DE-15).

I would like to use Quick Sync to decode video, however I have had nothing but problems getting it to work. The first being getting the Intel drivers installed.......every time I attempted to install the drivers, I was told that my system didn't meet the minimum specification and refused to install.

At first my Bios showed the iGPU as having an undefined frequency. I think that the lack of iGPU frequency in the Bios might of been the problem with the drivers install and I did manage to get the frequency detected as 350MHz by disabling Render standby. That enabled all the iGPU Bios options and allowed the Intel drivers to install.

I installed Lucid Logix, ffdshow, LAV decoder but the two codecs do not recognize Quicksync and won't use it. I installed a trial of GOM video converter and that also does not recognize Quick Sync.

ffdshow video decoder config, About tab, Version details shows IntelQuickSyncDecoder.dll as not found and I can see no Intel codecs in any program.

I have no display connected to the on board connectors because my monitor doesn't have the required connectors unless I purchase an adapter.

Therefore I would like to know how to install the drivers and/or Quick Sync in order to use it..

25 Replies
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi lister.of.smeg,

What happens is that if you have the nVidia GT240 installed then the graphics features of the processor are disabled. If you want to use Intel Quick Sync Video then it is necessary you remove the video card in order to use the graphics controller that is in the processor. The graphics driver is not installing because what the installer is recognizing is the nVidia GT240 video card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply, however it doesn't really answer the question. The drivers are already installed!

I believed that Lucid Logix was meant to allow both a separate graphics card and the Intel graphics to function? Is that not how it is meant to work? People who game don't want to be using on board graphics but they might like the Intel graphics decoding/encoding capabilities which are meant to be very capable. If Lucid Logix doesn't allow Quick Sync to function, what use is it?

The Intel drivers are installed and showing in device manager, it's just Quick sync which doesn't seem available. I had hoped that Lucid Logix would enable Quick Sync to function with my GT240. I would think that it copies between the two graphics adapters in order to perform the virtual graphics function.

This is still unresolved

0 Kudos
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi lister.of.smeg,

With Lucidlogix the system has one video card as primary and will use some resources of the second video card. Since Quick Sync is Intel proprietary then it will only work when processor graphics are being used. I see in the dxdiag report you posted the system is recognizing NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 as the video card.

You can try setting graphics of the processor as primary and then with Lucidlogix you can use additional resources of the NVidia video card. This setup requires configuration in the BIOS of the motherboard. I recommend contacting ASUS using this link so; they can help you with this BIOS setup http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The Intel drivers were installed once I got the iGPU frequency to show in my Bios. So that means it is part way there. After that I installed LucidLogix and that runs okay. Again I did have GPU virtualization that enabled.

I did want to check that I could reboot windows without a display, just in case. There are a few issues, one where Lucid Logix failed to start, saying the service had failed. That meant it disabled it running so I had to get that running again in msconfig. I enabled everything again, the GPU virtualization. and after being satisfied that I could reboot and everything appeared to be running, I made the Intel graphics the primary adapter in my Bios. That meant that I didn't get a display on boot up but I hoped that Lucid Logix would copy the display to my GT 240 so I could see something after windows 7 had booted and Lucid Logix had run........ My hopes were dashed! A black screen from boot and into windows. Rebooting and reset my Bios so I could see a display and boot windows again and Lucid Logix was disabled for some reason. A Desktop clock had moved and a startup program window position had changed, which suggests that the resolution was set low for a reason unknown. Maybe the Intel graphics were not setup to a usable resolution or possibly a driver problem with a default low resolution.

I will give it another try just to be certain.

If I could find a suitable adapter that allowed higher refresh rates than 60Hz then I would get it and the problem would be much easier to solve. I don't fancy using 60Hz on a CRT display and therefore don't want to be wasting money on an adapter that is of little use to me. However I have not been able to find a suitable adapter or information on whether Displayport can use higher refresh rates than 60Hz. The official site has not responded to an information request so far.

I was wondering whether you could supply some info on Displayport in order to get this working satisfactorily? I need a 1280x1024@85Hz Displayport connection in order to use my system with Quick Sync. 60Hz just won't work for me and I need an Adapter which can work at 85Hz, if one exists.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It did the same thing again. The screen remained black and after rebooting and resetting the Bios to get my display back, the two windows had moved to 640x...... type resolutions. However, this time, Lucid Logix GPU virtualization was enabled which made no difference because there was no display.

That totally contradicts what Lucid shows on it's webpage http://www.lucidlogix.com/technology-virtual-graphics.html here.

If the Intel graphics can do what I want then I wouldn't need the GT240. I only use it to provide a display and to do decoding assistance using Donald Grafts DGDecodeNV. He has mentioned that he has considered writing something for http://neuron2.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=201 Quick sync here but ATM his Intel CPU doesn't have Quick Sync and therefore he cannot develop for it.

Back to the topic. Can you tell me whether the display refresh rate can be increased when using Displayport? I would like 1280x1024@85Hz. Then I would need to find a Displayport to VGA-15 adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I cannot believe that no one else has had this issue. Searching shows that getting Quick Sync working is a major PIA and therefore someone must know the issues and how to solve them. Or at least what is required and how it's meant to work.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 4/14/2013, 11:49:48

Machine name: SENTINEL-1

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/19/12 20:21:11 Ver: 18.05

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8068MB RAM

Page File: 4218MB used, 12225MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 3: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GT 240

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CA3&SUBSYS_114319DA&REV_A2

Display Memory: 4049 MB

Dedicated Memory: 978 MB

Shared Memory: 3071 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (85Hz)

Monitor Name: IIYAMA HM903D A/DT A

Monitor Model: HM903DB/DTB

Monitor Id: IVM1942

Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (86.028Hz)

Output Type: HD15

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.1090 (English)

Driver Version: 9.18.13.1090

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 12/29/2012 11:34:47, 18054312 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4FE3-11CF-287E-4E311FC2C435}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x0CA3

SubSys ID: 0x114319DA

Revision ID: 0x00A2

Driver Strong Name: oem6.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section002:9.18.13.1090:pci\ven_10de&dev_0ca3

Rank Of Driver: 00E02001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C

Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello.

I have been able to encode video in h.264 using the iGPU (HD4000 from i7-3770) and Quick Sync with MediaCoder (OpenSource).

I have an Asus P8Z77-V LX and an nVidia GT430 discrete card.

Due to a problem with my Asus with latest BIOS, the iGPU drivers are not loaded correctly in Windows 7 if I choose iGPU in the BIOS as primary display (in GNU/Linux works perfect with iGPU). But that is another issue. What I mean is that you in addition to the configuration that I'm going to give, also try choosing iGPU in the BIOS and you try if Windows 7 graphics display correctly. I would appreciate if you tell me if you've done it.

Anyway when I choose PCIE as the primary display, in Windows I get the signal from the iGPU (It's crazy, right?) Anyway, the basic requirements are:

**The monitor must be connected to the integrated graphics (iGPU)

**You need the following settings in BIOS:

From "Advanced\System Agent Configuration\Graphics Configuration"

> Primary Display: PCIE (You remember the problem I have with my motherboard and Windows 7. You also try iGPU)

> iGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled (I think some motherboards also have a physical switch for this)

**In Windows the Intel HD graphics driver must be properly installed and loaded. That is, if you open the device manager, the item corresponding to the intel driver must not have warning symbols. I think in my case it was not necessary to install Lucid to use Quick Sync, but best to make sure you install it.

Then you follow these steps to use MediaCoder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2ywcRfT1c How To Speed Up Your Video Conversions! - MediaCoder - YouTube

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

yafu wrote:

Hello.

I have been able to encode video in h.264 using the iGPU (HD4000 from i7-3770) and Quick Sync with MediaCoder (OpenSource).

I have an Asus P8Z77-V LX and an nVidia GT430 discrete card

Due to a problem with my Asus with latest BIOS, the iGPU drivers are not loaded correctly in Windows 7 if I choose iGPU in the BIOS as primary display (in GNU/Linux works perfect with iGPU). But that is another issue. What I mean is that you in addition to the configuration that I'm going to give, also try choosing iGPU in the BIOS and you try if Windows 7 graphics display correctly. I would appreciate if you tell me if you've done it.

Anyway when I choose PCIE as the primary display, in Windows I get the signal from the iGPU (It's crazy, right?) Anyway, the basic requirements are:

**The monitor must be connected to the integrated graphics (iGPU)

**You need the following settings in BIOS:

From "Advanced\System Agent Configuration\Graphics Configuration"

> Primary Display: PCIE (You remember the problem I have with my motherboard and Windows 7. You also try iGPU)

> iGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled (I think some motherboards also have a physical switch for this)

**In Windows the Intel HD graphics driver must be properly installed and loaded. That is, if you open the device manager, the item corresponding to the intel driver must not have warning symbols. I think in my case it was not necessary to install Lucid to use Quick Sync, but best to make sure you install it.

Then you follow these steps to use MediaCoder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2ywcRfT1c How To Speed Up Your Video Conversions! - MediaCoder - YouTube

The last time I looked, it's been quite a while, MediaCoder was adware so be aware of that.

I have tried iGPU and I get no display at all because the onboard video connections are not connected to my display because my display uses VGA-15 rather than digital connections and digital connections are all that are available on my motherboard. Without using an adapter, I cannot see a display unless Lucid Logix does it's thing correctly when in windows. Unfortunately, it doesn't!

According to device manager, the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 drivers are installed and working correctly.

Selecting PCIE as the primary display works correctly and shows a display because that is where my monitor is connected.

iGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled

That is what I have enabled.

Where do you have your monitor connected? To the onboard video connections? That would be where we differ because ATM, I cannot use the onboard connections unless Fred@Intel can answer my question about Displayport and even better, recommend an adapter that will work.

Without Lucid Logix, your GT430 will do nothing at all, drawing power with nothing to show for it. As I understand it, Lucid Logix copies the required display data onto the other graphics controller so it can be displayed. However, the Lucid site is very misleading on what is possible from what I can gather. It suggests that the monitor can be connected to either the onboard or a separate graphics card connection and everything will work. Whereas it doesn't in my experience.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

>The last time I looked, it's been quite a while, MediaCoder was adware so be aware of that.

You are right. I long ago that I do not use Windows. I thought MediaCoder still being OpenSource, from the time it was in SourceForge. It happens that I just recently installed Windows to test these features that Intel and Asus do not support in GNU/Linux. Anyway, try MediaCoder.

But I do not understand what you mean with this:

>...and digital connections are all that are available on my motherboard.

As I see, your motherboard has an analog VGA video output (D-Sub). Have you tried disconnecting the VGA cable from your nvidia, and plug it into the onboard iGPU vga output? Of course, before you do that you must first choose iGPU as the primary display from the BIOS.

I understand that Quick Sync can be used only if your monitor is connected to the integrated graphics (one of the onboard video connections). I'm not sure but I think have read that on some forumm. As I said before, my monitor is connected to the DVI output of the integrated graphic. PCIE (nvidia) selected from BIOS, but in Windows using de iGPU onboard graphic through onboard DVI output. I do not know if this is possible because multi-monitor mode from the BIOS is enabled, or because Lucid in Windows. But it is the only option that I have (remember my problem mentioned above). You should try choosing iGPU in the BIOS and then connect the VGA cable on your onboard D-Sub output.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I forgot to say that if I disconnect the cable from the onboard video output and connect it to the nvidia card, then I can not use Quick Sync on MediaCoder, even with lucid logix enabled on Windows.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The P8Z77-V Premium doesn't have a VGA-15 connector, it only has HDMI, Displayport and Thunderbolt ports for use with display devices. Therefore I would have to get an adapter in order to use the onboard video. The problem is I don't know whether any adapter can do what I require or whether Displayport can use anything but 60Hz refresh rates. I know that HDMI is limited but Displayport is meant to offer more bandwidth and therefore it might allow higher refresh rates, if I could only get some advice on this. The displayport site is no help whatsoever. Adapter manufacturers only say 60Hz but that doesn't really mean much seeing as LCD panels tend to only use 60Hz and therefore it's difficult to test any other frequencies.

So at the moment I am stuck, waiting for information so I know what to do.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

>P8Z77-V "Premium"

oh, I see.

You be careful with that "Adapter". To convert digital to analog you need a "converter" (which must have a circuit, not just connections).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, I've done some further testing.

I have completely uninstalled Lucid VirtuMVP.

With the monitor connected to the nvidia discrete card, I have not available Quick Sync in GOM Video Converter. In GOM VC I can only choose "Intel H264" in codecs tab (item relating to Quick Sync is not available). Intel Quick Sync encoder doesn´t work in MediaCoder.

With the monitor connected to the integrated graphics I have available Intel Quick Sync encoder in MediaCoder and GOM Video Converter (and works in both)

Regarding the GOM VC encoding: Using "intel H.264" or "Intel Quck Sync" I have not found differences in speed with my i7-3770. Perhaps in other lower frequency processors Quick Sync have advantages over "intel H.264".

Regarding Lucid Logix: It's all very confusing and I do not understand what this role does about Quick Sync. Maybe with Lucid you can use Quick Sync when the monitor is connected to the discrete graphics card, but only in the applications supported by Lucid. I do not know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

yafu wrote:

Well, I've done some further testing.

I have completely uninstalled Lucid VirtuMVP.

With the monitor connected to the nvidia discrete card, I have not available Quick Sync in GOM Video Converter. In GOM VC I can only choose "Intel H264" in codecs tab (item relating to Quick Sync is not available). Intel Quick Sync encoder doesn´t work in MediaCoder.

With the monitor connected to the integrated graphics I have available Intel Quick Sync encoder in MediaCoder and GOM Video Converter (and works in both)

Regarding the GOM VC encoding: Using "intel H.264" or "Intel Quck Sync" I have not found differences in speed with my i7-3770. Perhaps in other lower frequency processors Quick Sync have advantages over "intel H.264".

Regarding Lucid Logix: It's all very confusing and I do not understand what this role does about Quick Sync. Maybe with Lucid you can use Quick Sync when the monitor is connected to the discrete graphics card, but only in the applications supported by Lucid. I do not know.

Thank you for your testing because it is helpful. It is the same as I have experienced with my monitor connected to my GT240, where Quick Sync is unavailable. I do have GOM VC installed the same as you, just for testing purposes. I did not use it after I could see that Quick Sync was unavailable, however after you mention it I have tested briefly and x264 codec does look better quality than Intel H.264. All the profiles are mobile types which explains the quality (low). 1 reference frame H.264 is fairly low quality at low/medium bitrate.

The speed being the same for you does sound unusual seeing as reviews always show QS as being much faster, at least faster than software and video card based encoding.

I don't know whether Lucid Logix works with QS, it could only support Directx video as in 3D video unless it has to be supported/setup. Looking at the Lucid Logix Applications window does show some video encoders which might mean that Quick Sync is supported but the window is very cramped and difficult to see the whole text on mine. "Media Converter 7 G" [as it shows in the window] is set to use the Intel graphics processor, then "converter" next line down also set to Intel, as is "Media Expresso". The G could be meant to be with the "converter" and could be GOM Converter. I cannot tell because I cannot edit it to see the correct label because editing only edits the first entry, 3DMark06 even though the correct entry is highlighted.

It might be necessary to manually edit the entries in the Applications list to point them at the application exe in order for LucidL to work.

To test QS, it looks like I need to be using the Intel video but to do that I require some information on Displayport and the supported refresh rates and resolutions. If it can support the required resolution/refresh rate then I need to find a suitable adapter to convert the video signal. I don't want to be spending money on something which will not do what I require because I am not using my display @60Hz.

This is something that an Intel person could solve if they will do so.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

>The speed being the same for you does sound unusual seeing as reviews always show QS as being much faster,

>at least faster than software and video card based encoding.

I guess that depends with which CPU or GPU is compared QS.

Anyway I also read that the Intel encoder with QS is faster than other encoders, but with worse quality than the others.

GOM VC is not on my Lucid list. I've tried adding MediaCoder and GOM VC executables in "D" mode (discrete card), but I still can not use QS with my nvidia.

The curious thing in Lucid is that the only applications that are listed by default in "I" mode (integrated graphics) are three video encoders. It's like Lucid would only work to try to improve the performance of QS when the monitor is connected to the integrated video. But I'm just assuming that it is.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

yafu wrote:

>The speed being the same for you does sound unusual seeing as reviews always show QS as being much faster,

>at least faster than software and video card based encoding.

I guess that depends with which CPU or GPU is compared QS.

Anyway I also read that the Intel encoder with QS is faster than other encoders, but with worse quality than the others.

GOM VC is not on my Lucid list. I've tried adding MediaCoder and GOM VC executables in "D" mode (discrete card), but I still can not use QS with my nvidia.

The curious thing in Lucid is that the only applications that are listed by default in "I" mode (integrated graphics) are three video encoders. It's like Lucid would only work to try to improve the performance of QS when the monitor is connected to the integrated video. But I'm just assuming that it is.

"Anyway I also read that the Intel encoder with QS is faster than other encoders, but with worse quality than the others."

Yes, not surprising really seeing as it only uses 1 reference frame. It's pretty basic encoding, a lot like streaming media. Hardly what you want for anything decent. However, seeing as Quick Sync can decode video very quickly, far faster than my GT240 with the VP4 decode engine can do, it could have some use for me when encoding to lower resolutions where the encoding speed it currently faster than my video card can decode it. That is what I wanted QS to do. It would be best if Donald Graft had an application to do the Indexing using QS because that would do it well without any issues that Directshow can introduce. He has said that he was interested in developing for QS but he doesn't have the development hardware ATM. I thought about multiplexing H.264 video into a MKv container with every frame referenced which isn't usually used in order to index the file and help with seeking and proper frame retrieval during encoding. I haven't tested that so far because QS decoding has not worked for me.

Have you ever looked at DGDecodeNV? If your not into AVISynth scripting you might never use it. I think that MeGUI can make use of it. It uses nVidia graphics cards to decode Mpeg2, H.264 and VC-1 video such as that from HDTV and BluRay.

What is the application between Media converter 7 and Media espresso in the Lucid Lugix (LL) application tab? I cannot read the name on my system due to the layout making the name unreadable. From what has been said about QS, I would say that the I mode is required to make use of QS and the onboard graphics connector connected to a monitor.

It might be possible to add new applications, specifying the main encoding executable and marking it with the "I" rather than the "D" in LL applications.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

"It might be possible to add new applications, specifying the main encoding executable and marking it with the "I" rather than the "D" in LL applications."

Sure it's possible and I do not know why I had not tried that before (I had only tested in D mode). Quick Sync works with the monitor connected to the nVidia card, with Lucid by adding the executables in "I" mode !!! (That's why these three video converters in Lucid list were in "I" mode). You must add in Lucid GOM VC executable (GomVC.exe) or MediaCoder (mediacoder.exe) in "I" mode. That should work for you since I've done that with my monitor connected to my nVidia via VGA (D-Sub)

Clarifying and summarizing my experience:

* Monitor connected to the onboard video:

No need to install Lucid to use QuickSync.

* Monitor connected to the discrete graphics card (PCIE selected as primary display and "iGPU Multi-Monitor" enabled in the BIOS):

To use Intel QuickSync you need to install Lucid VirtuMVP (Lucid Logix) and add the video converter executables to Lucid in "I" mode.

I am using Lucid Virtu v2.1.221.24927 downloaded from the Asus site.

"What is the application between Media converter 7 and Media espresso in the Lucid Lugix (LL) application tab?"

It is "Media Converter 7 GUI".

Well, I think I've been a long time under Windows (much more than I would like). It's time to forget about it and go back to my beloved GNU/Linux.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

yafu wrote:

"It might be possible to add new applications, specifying the main encoding executable and marking it with the "I" rather than the "D" in LL applications."

Sure it's possible and I do not know why I had not tried that before (I had only tested in D mode). Quick Sync works with the monitor connected to the nVidia card, with Lucid by adding the executables in "I" mode !!! (That's why these three video converters in Lucid list were in "I" mode). You must add in Lucid GOM VC executable (GomVC.exe) or MediaCoder (mediacoder.exe) in "I" mode. That should work for you since I've done that with my monitor connected to my nVidia via VGA (D-Sub)

When I try and add anything, it tells me that I have added a non validated application and that performance and quality cannot be guaranteed. Which would be fine but the application is no where to be seen. It doesn't show in the applications list. If I add it again, it tells me that it already exists.

Clarifying and summarizing my experience:

* Monitor connected to the onboard video:

No need to install Lucid to use QuickSync.

* Monitor connected to the discrete graphics card (PCIE selected as primary display and "iGPU Multi-Monitor" enabled in the BIOS):

To use Intel QuickSync you need to install Lucid VirtuMVP (Lucid Logix) and add the video converter executables to Lucid in "I" mode.

I am using Lucid Virtu v2.1.221.24927 downloaded from the Asus site.

Thanks for telling me what version you are using. I'm using 2.1.224.26520 from the Lucid site. It says that the License is activated, the Asus version was installed before it, but the program isn't working very well at all.

Something that you should be aware of is that the drivers and software on the Asus site is not well maintained! For instance, the LL application that is in your motherboard downloads, isn't available to any other motherboard! That is why I had an older version installed before installing the one for the Lucid site which was rubbish and didn't work.

I searched the Asus site for the Lucid application and couldn't find it anywhere but under the motherboard downloads. Every other motherboard but yours have older versions of LL for download.

Anyway, I have got the same version as you and it works much better than the other versions that I have tried. The editing works properly, the applications show properly and the applications that are set for QS I mode work! H...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Im using Lucid MVP.

QS works with LAV for HD and i gotta tell you videos are playing way more smooth than my discrete card.You got your graphic card cable connected to the onboard right?I guess the latest version of Lucid is kinda buggy cause sometimes you need to reboot to see the changes when you add a program doesnt show straight up.

0 Kudos