4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 1:44 PM by Bmail

Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver update issue

Bmail
      I have an Asus P8P67 pro mobo with the Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection on board network adapter. It currently is using ver 11 driver and found the latest driver (PROWinx64.exe) to update it (I'm having some issues). When I try to update it, I get an error box that says "The installed version of Intel Proset is not supported for upgrades. You must uninstall it before installing this version".
      When I go to Device Manager to uninstall the Gigabit Network Connection in order to install this update...Windows re-installs it before I can run the update. Thus I can't seem to update the driver.
      Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver update issue
          mark_h_@intel

Look in the Uninstall or change programs in Windows Control Panel. Remove the Intel(R) Network Connections program. You should be able to run the new installer after that without any problems.

Mark H

• 2. Re: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver update issue
            Bmail

Mark:

Thanks for the reply, however there is no Intel(R) Network Connections program in the uninstall section of my Win7 Ultimate computer. There is an Intel Processor ID utility...that's it.

Where else should I look?

• 3. Re: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver update issue
              mark_h_@intel

I would check the page at http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-029916.htm next. If you don't get anywhere with the procedures on that page, then check out the related topic at the bottom of the page:

Related Topic:
              Troubleshooting MSI Uninstall Issues–Intel Pro Network Connections 1713

I hope one of these pages will help you.

Mark H

• 4. Re: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver update issue
                Bmail

Mark:

Before I look at these links, I just noticed (embarrassed) that there is also an "Intel Trusted Connect Service Client".

Is this the Network Connection program that you are speaking of that I should uninstall before installing the update?

• 5. Re: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver update issue
                  mark_h_@intel

No, the "Intel Trusted Connect Service Client" is not the application that is causing the issue. So go ahead with the other links I shared.

Mark H

• 6. Re: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver update issue
                    Bmail

Mark:

I looked at the links, but they don't quite fit my situation.

Maybe I should further explain why I was trying to update the driver.

The Network Icon next to the clock use to start immediately when I booted into the desktop...now, at boot up, it sits there with the blue circle trying to connect as the computer continues to boot up. It will connect once the computer is totally booted up and ready.  So instead of being able to open a browser early in the boot process, I must now wait till completely booted.

I figured something may be wrong with the driver and went to Device Mgr and uninstalled and let Win7 reinstall, but that didn't help, thus my thinking that maybe an update would help.

Since I can not find the Gigabit Network program in Program/Features (Add/Remove) I tried uninstalling the driver in Device Mgr, again,  but this time told Windows to delete the driver too. This allowed me to run the updated driver, or so I thought. It still came back and said that it could not install until the old driver was uninstalled???

Am I wasting my time? Is this delay in the Network from loading normal?  Or maybe my new normal?

• 7. Re: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver update issue
                      mark_h_@intel

First let me address why you cannot install the new software package. The software and driver package contains applications that are installed by default, including Intel(R) PROSet. If someone upgrades from an earlier version of  Windows to a newer version of Windows with the networking software installed, the registry settings can get corrupted and then uninstall doesn't work. Another possible reason for the registry corruption is uninstalling the driver from device manager without uninstalling the network software first. I don't know if either of these things happened to you, but somewhere there are registry entries that are causing the software installer to think that an older version of the software exists. Therefore, the installer is not able to upgrade from the detected older software version. How the registry entries got corrupted in the first place could be something other than the reasons I mentioned. Nevertheless, a corrupted registry is is why you get the message telling you to uninstall the older version of PROSet. So, following the procedure on the linked articles might allow you to install the new software and drivers. Depending on how messed up the registry is, this might be one of those situations where doing a clean Windows install is easier.

As to the question of how long the connection is taking at boot up, I'm not sure what might have changed. If you manage to update the software and driver, your connection might come up quicker, but I do not know for sure. You would have to try it to know, and that means you would have to go to the trouble of getting the new installer to work.

If your connection is working good after it comes up, you might decide to live with being slow to connect on boot up rather than go to the trouble of tracking down the uninstall problem or doing a clean Windows install.

I have a program on one of my PCs (not networking related) that won't work right and might require a Windows reinstall. I'm still trying to figure out how bad I want that application. I might live without it because everything else is working perfectly. This type of situation ends up being a personal choice. Good luck.

Mark H

• 8. Re: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver update issue
                        Bmail

I didn't follow the in depth instructions to clean the registry just for the reasons you stated. It isn't that I can't get online, it is just slow to start up. Thus I was reluctant to go to the lengths needed to get the upgrade to install.by messing with the Registry.

Since it does eventually work, I'm now of the opinion, to leave well enough alone and will cross that slippery bridge if I ever really "need" to upgrade it.

Thanks for all your time and help.