Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

What to think about and to know when I upgrade processor?

idata
Employee
<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 21 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Normal tabell"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}<![endif]-->

I'm thinking about buying a new processor for my Dell Dimension 9150. I have an Intel Pentium 4 630 and want to upgrade to a Dual Core, but what is it that have to be compatible with the new processor and the motherboard? To see possible diferences between the one I have and the one I thinking about buying I did a comparison and to me they look interchangeable, but I'm not entirely sure what too look for.

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=27478,37212, http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=27478,37212,

One question that raised from that was: Is the PLGA775 socket and the LGA775 socket the same or does the P make me have to buy a new motherboard?

Sorry for the poor language and please coment and come with sugestions.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi there,

The information that you need to know are:

Max TDP - to know whether your Power Supply is enough to supply the power to the CPU 

Compatibility list for your motherboard.

Bios Version which supports the cpu, CPU Core Stepping Supported by the Board. (On Intel Desktop Board, it depends sometime some boards need a bios upgrade to be compatible)

Socket that the motherboard supports like PLGA775

If you know all these information, it should work fine. If you dont have a compatibility list, you need to test yourself based on the above theory, it may work.

Kind Regards,

idata
Employee

I reinstalled and upgraded windows and lost all my drivers. When I try to upload them I get a message that staes no Intel Adapters. Make sure you back up your system b4 you upgrade. If anyone knows about the no Intel Adapters thing, let me know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there,

Actually, I used to get this message while installing the Intel Network Drivers.

I remembered when i installed my lan driver on Windows 7, i got this message.

Steps i did to resolve this:

Extract the LAN Executable file using Winrar for example.

Install the driver manually.

It was fixed.

Hope this helps your issue.

Regards,

Aryan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi:

I am new in this forum and I will like to know why my computer is taking more time to start up windows 7 than before.

I upgraded the cpu from i7 2630QM to a i7 2820QM.

Its a Dell XPS L702X with Chipset: HM67.

Now the upgrade is working well but before with i7 2630QM my computer boot up in 1 minute or less, Now with the 2820QM it is taking 1 minute with 45 seconds.

I have the same programs before and after. I just upgraded the CPU.

Now i7 2820QM its supposed to be faster than the 2630QM.

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos