2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2013 12:39 AM by ches rowe

3930k only using 6 threads?

ches rowe

I have a 3930k , it's supposed to have 6-cores and 12 threads, but in CPUID and task manager it says my processor only has 6 sixs and 6 threads?

Are these programs lying , or do i need to activate the other 6 threads somewhere?x

• 1. Re: 3930k only using 6 threads?
          Ruben Ramos

Hi Ches Rowe,

You are right; the i7-3930k has the Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology) that delivers two processing threads per physical core.

So in order to check if this technology is enabled:

In Microsoft* Windows*7, XP Home or XP Professional, Vista there are two easy ways to determine if Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology) is on without having to reboot to enter the BIOS setup.

1. Task Manager: Hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE and click on the Performance tab. You will have CPU Usage History windows. If you have a single core with HT Technology, you will see two thread windows. In this case since you have an Intel® Core™ i7-3930K that has six cores and twelve threads, you will see twelve windows.

1. Device Manager: Open Device Manager and click on Processors. You will see two processors listed. For Windows* 7, go to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Device and Printers, Device Manager, scroll down to Processors, and expand it to see how may threads are showing (Dual Core Processors with Hyper-Threading will see four processors).

Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software you use.

• 2. Re: 3930k only using 6 threads?
            ches rowe

Hey Ruben , i did what you said , but it's still only showing 6 threads :/ . What can i do to activate the other 6?