7 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 9:00 AM by lhill

dc3217iye, fw 040, F2 won't enter the bios

pmcd

I recently upgraded from fw 039 to 040. Now I can no longer enter the BIOS using F2. I am connected via hdmi to an LG HDTV. This has never happened before with any other bios. Can I return to 039?

Thanks,

philip

• 1. Re: dc3217iye, fw 040, F2 won't enter the bios
          lhill

Hello Philip,

Yes, you can revert back to v0039.  Instructions for that process can be found here: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-031141.htm

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 2. Re: dc3217iye, fw 040, F2 won't enter the bios
            pmcd

Thank you. I went back to 039 and I could use F2 again using my wireless ioGear keyboard. 039 seemed pro produce a louder fan noise so I de decided to try 040 again. Again I had trouble with F2 but the fan wasn't as bad. I then hooked up a wired Apple keyboard to the front USB port and I was able to get into the bios with it using F2. Odd. Within 040 there is a quiet fan setting that has setting 81, 40, 10. My custom settings are 78, 20, 8  which used to be some kind of default. Is there a BIOS version or a setting that makes the NUC quiet? I'd like to avoid putting it into a passive case.

Anyway the instructions for going back from 040 TP 039 were really helpful.

philip

• 3. Re: dc3217iye, fw 040, F2 won't enter the bios
              lhill

Hi Philip,

Glad to hear that you found a workaround to get into BIOS - kind of odd though, that the wireless keyboard did not work.

In regards to quieting down the system - BIOS v0040 changed that default value of the minimum duty cycle from 20 to 40 to help with system cooling. What is the average temperature you are seeing with the default values?  What make/models of the internal components do you have - memory, SSD, Wifi?

There are a couple things here that you can experiment with.

• Set System Fan Control to 'Fixed' and then adjust the fan speed in 10% increments - see if one of those will reduce the fan noise and keep the system relatively cool. Be sure to watch the temperatures!
              • Set System Fan Control to 'Custom' and then adjust the minimum duty cycle.  Again... watch the temperatures.

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 4. Re: dc3217iye, fw 040, F2 won't enter the bios
                pmcd

HI Lois,

I am in the BIOS now. The temperature of the CPU core is 67 c. The fan speed is 2015 rpm. The settings I have are Custom. They have been this way for ages. Minimum temperature = 78, Minimum Duty Cycle = 20, Duty Cycle Increment = 8.

I have a Kingston 64 gig msata card, 4 gig sodimm in slot B ( also Kingston). I do not have the Intel WiFi/BT card installed yet as I was concerned about temperature and hence fan noise. Of course I would love to install it.

I can barely hear the fan at this point and I am about two feet away from the NUC.

Of course once I am out of the BIOS I have no obvious way of measuring the temperatures and changing the fan behaviour so if I changed the fan speed to fixed I don't see how I could monitor things. Edit: ok I got it and have tested a variety of settings.

Hmm ... once the fan hits 3500 rpm or so the noise is unbearable, as though the fan needs oiling. This is what you get in Quiet Mode in the Bios setting. At 20% the fan stays around 2200 rpm which is fine in terms of noise but then there is the temperature issue. How high can the system safely go?

Perhaps something is wrong with the fan as it shouldn't be that loud at 3000 rpm.

philip

Message was edited by: philip

• 5. Re: dc3217iye, fw 040, F2 won't enter the bios
                  lhill

Hi Philip,

67C should be just fine; mine is running right around that as well. But the fact that the fan sounds like it is taking off should not be happening.  I'd like to have you contact our tech support by either chat or email and open a case with them. They may decide your unit needs to be replaced.

Chat:

1. Go to http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport
                  2. Select a region.Select Desktop Boards as the product.
                  3. Type in a question (like 'need help with USB', or whatever the issue is) and click Submit.
                  4. On the results page, just click "No, show me the contact information".
                  5. If there is an available chat agent, you should see an option here to "Chat with an agent".

Email:

Go to http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/desktop/nuc/emailsupport.htm

• 6. Re: dc3217iye, fw 040, F2 won't enter the bios
                    pmcd

Hi Lois,

I have contacted support and set up a case. I now have set the fan to fixed and at a level of 30. I have a temperature monitor which gives me the cpu core temperature and will give me mins and maxs. I am mainly using the NUC as a media centre and for internet browsing. So now the temperature is 49C just browsing, mail and so on. But depending on the type of video programs I run I have had things go from 3x through 81 (max) over days. The typical temperature when running something like Plex or XBMC is around 67 or a bit higher. I have guess when decoding goes wild the temperature may go up but it has never gone higher than 81 no matter how many things I have run. The fan is completely quiet and wonderful. I still am reluctant to install the Intel WiFi/BT. I would not want  the temperature to go higher. I have a safety limit which would shut down the system if it does reach above a certain temperature.

Would the WiFi/BT card increase temperatures significantly?

philip

• 7. Re: dc3217iye, fw 040, F2 won't enter the bios
                      lhill

Hi Philip,

The temperature increase should not be significant. I do have a new thermal pad that fits inside the chassis that would help disperse heat. If you'll send me your shipping information and phone number in a private message, I'll mail one to you.

Regards,

Lois