10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 3:38 PM by Ron

DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure

Lars

I'm running a DC3217IYE with following spec:

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Dual Band

Intel SSD 525series 60gb

Corsair VS 4096 SO DIMM DDR3 2x2gb

After running the computer for a couple of hour, mostly videos the screen goes black and gives me following error:

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device.

When rebooting the computer with the button nothing happens, it shows the same error.

But if I unplug the power and re-plug it the computer starts and runs smoothly for a while.

I've read in some forum that if you un-check the network boot it might work. I've tried it and it works, but only for a brief moment then it gives another error message, "STOP: c0000135 and so on"

Is this a common issue?

I've changed the fan pref in BIOS to "cool", if it might have something to do with the heating?

• 1. Re: DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
          mikec_intel

Hello Lars,

I understood that you are getting some error codes after some hours of use.

I tried to double check the specification of your RAM memory Corsair VS 4096 but I got the following TWIN2X4096-6400C5C, PC2-6400 (800MHz)- DDR2 - 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB). I would like to help you with your issue however I would need some additional information.

Could you please send me the following information?

-RAM model, those are example of fully compatible memories CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9 and CMSA8GX3M2A1333C9.

-BIOS version. Please keep tapping F2 while system starts.

-Operating System version

I would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.

• 2. Re: DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
            Lars

Hi Mike,

Bios Version: GKPPT10H.86A.0040.2013.0325.1514

RAM: CMS04GX3M2A1333C9

I have not been able to reproduce the issue after I've changed the fan preferences to "cool", but since it's only been 24hours I can't confirm anything.

• 3. Re: DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
              mikec_intel

Hello Lars,

Your memories are fully compatible. You are using the latest BIOS. I would recommend to check if you have the latest drivers.

They are available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=DC3217IYE

Let me know if you are still having the same issues with your NUC.

• 4. Re: DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
                Andréas Idh

Hi,

I also get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device." after a while of usage, had the system running all night idle'ing without problem tho but then when I start using it, it shutdowns and refuse to boot. Which made me think it got something to do with heat. So I went to BIOS and turned fan options to 'cool' and just rebooted it so I don't know if it works good yet.

I'm running the latest BIOS I believe, 40 and my specs are following:

INTEL 525 SERIES MSATA SSD 120GB

KINGSTON 8GB SO-DIMM 1600MHZ DDR3 CL11 - KVR16S11/8

OS is Debian 7 (Wheezy)

Message was edited by: Andréas Idh

• 5. Re: DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
                  Lars

I've been running it for the last 48hours without any interruptions now.

Perhaps it's to early to draw any conclusions, but it seems to been Heat-Related.

• 6. Re: DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
                    Troels Bager

I too have this problem with my DCCP847DYE. Setting fan speed to "cool" does not work for me. I have 2 units and they both have this problem. I cant find anything in the eventlog. The computer just random reboots. With Windows 8 it says CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. But no further information.

• 7. Re: DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
                      Andréas Idh

Setting the fan speed to "cool" seem to have fixed my issue, the system have now been running for almost 48hours doing heavy operations without any shutdown and failing to boot up. The exterior of the NUC is all cool and not really warm like before.

• 8. Re: DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
                        mikec_intel

Hi Troels,

Could you please send me the specifications of your system?

• 9. Re: DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
                          Troels Bager

Hi Mike.

Sure.

As mentioned its a DCCP847DYE with Intel 525 30GB SSDs, Intel 6235 Wireless/Bluetooth and 4GB of Samsung 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM.

The weird part is I have 3 of these units. One of them is stable 2 of them are not. I have ordered a new SSD to see if thats the problem. I have changed the parts severalt times other than the SSD. Wireless card and diffrent RAM. Still the same result.

Tried out different drivers, checked firmwares, set the units to cool and so on.

When I get the new SSD I will report the results here.

• 10. Re: DC3217IYE, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
                            Ron

I'm running a DC3217IYE with following spec:

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Dual Band

Intel SSD 525series 60gb

Kingston KVR1333D3S9 4G Ram

I also am using Ubuntu 12.10 as OS

After running the computer for a couple of hour, I restarted and got this error msg.

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device.

I read the replies on this post and I've.

1) Downloaded the most recent BIOS

2) Put the Fan on cooling

Also note that the OS runs perfectly fine with the bootable USB stick. Just won't load without it.

Please Help!