0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2013 2:30 PM by David Marshall

"AREA X79": Was it on the Intel Roadmap?

David Marshall

Although I continue to find posts that claim that the question regarding PCIe 3.0 capability on the 2011 socket, X79 chipset motherboards has been officially answered and people need to "Move ON because the answer is NO, there isn't support because there is no CPU produced that has the "key" that is required to
      "unlock" the advertised and promised PCIe 3.0 slots on all of these X79 motherboards.

I personally have been sent down many paths and trails that obviously are straying away from the Intel Roadmap. I do not believe the question is answered and I am hoping that someone within Intel will take a long and hard look at the position that millions of its customers have found themselves in and regardless of fault or blame or cost; would turn this obvious obstacle into a success story for both the customers and Intel the Corporation.

It doesn't matter who did what at the Corporate level, because when you look at each individual customer one by one, and can plainly see, each are losing or have already lost, hundreds of dollars because each customer was paying for something that Intel has made very clear; does not exist.

Everyone loses when something like this happens unless the leadership within at least one of the Corporations involved makes the hard but integrity based decision to provide the necessary leadership to do what all Corporations claim they are trying to improve; care for the customer 

There is no reasonable answer that I have yet to find that can explain how I ended up buying $2,000 in PC components based on the advertised promise that I would have a PC build that would support my PCIe 3.0 components and would be very "future-proof”, and yet I have sold off at a considerable loss each of these components that “were before their time” and should never have been placed on the market.

Below is evidence that the issue is very much still being mismanaged. This short section is taken off of the advertisement page for a P9X79 WS motherboard that is claiming: with the right components this motherboard will provide PCIe 3.0 capability.

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor family for the LGA 2011 Socket

This motherboard supports the latest 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor family for the LGA 2011 Socket, with memory and PCI Express controllers integrated to quad-channel (8 DIMMs) DDR3 memory and 40 PCI Express 3.0 lanes. This provides great graphics performance. 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor family for the LGA 2011 Socket is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPU in the world. http://usa.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Workstation_Motherboards/P9X79E_WS/ 

In 2006 I found myself in the eye of a storm, representing
      thousands of customers around the world regarding an issue with a very large
      and extremely well known Computer Corporation. After nearly two years of work
      which included multiple trips to the company headquarters, meetings with VP's,
      engineers, the CEO, and everyone in between, the company, in the end did what
      astounded many in the PC world; it apologized and upgraded every customer
      world-wide, free of charge, to the newest version of this high end PC, which
      would enable what the first advertised version had promised but was
      "UNABLE" to make good on.

I have been following this particular story with great
      interests because, #1 I purchased $2500 of PCIe 3.0 related components, with
      the advertised promise that I had nothing to worry about. #2 Because this
      particular story makes the previous one that I was involved in look like a very
      small issue, when in fact it was huge and set a precedent unmatched to this
      day. #3 Because of the lack of unrest that I have been able to find within the
      PC world; especially that segment that includes those that are gamers,
      enthusiasts, home workers that are depending on big promises to get their jobs
      done, and then of course all those who build their own PC's. #4 This problem is
      not isolated to just the Intel X79 Chipset, but it also is very much tied to
      the Intel Z77 Chipset, as the Z77 chipset was an advertisement nightmare that
      should have been leapt upon yet no one seemed to notice.

The Intel Z77 Chipset provides a total of 16 PCIe lanes.
      Apart from motherboard makers throwing in "hack" parts to increase
      lane number, the Z77 was a disaster for a gamer or enthusiast or even a
      work-at-home person who was going to be relying on a second PCIe component such
      as the Areca 1882ix-12 Rev 3.0 Raid Controller Card.  What was the thinking when the Z77 Chipset
      was built, knowing that you could only populate one X16 slot and anything after
      that meant a decrease in the capacity of each slot as another component was
      added.

The Z77 was not capable of providing SLI with PCIe 3.0
      because if you populated the second X16 3.0 slot the first became X8 (or
      basically a 2.0 X 16) and the same happened to the second. If you added a third
      component to the PCIe 3.0 slots you dropped to X8, X4, X4.  To make it really simple, the motherboard was
      an interim disaster and nothing should have been put on the market to pull
      people away from motherboards that were providing 40+ lanes of 2.0. The Z77 is
      one of the biggest and unspoken about failures, just as the X79 Chipset is.

The X79 is an Intel Chipset and Intel knew that to release
      that Chipset, to be fair to the motherboard makers and to be fair to the video
      card vendors, it was up to Intel to provide the mysterious and hidden
      "GAMING KEY" so that all of these enthusiasts and gamers, etc. would
      be able to enjoy the thrill of what they had just spent thousands on, when in
      fact the previously owned X58 , although it needed to be upgraded, had nothing
      worthy of pushing it to the curb. The X58 is one of the first EOL (end of life)
      products that were BURIED ALIVE!

I sold my Asus P9X79 PRO and Intel 3930K, along with my Evga
      GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB and Areca 1882ix-12 while the value was still high enough that
      I only lost $800. I have moved to the side of the road and I've been sitting on
      the curb watching the PC traffic and it has not slowed down. People are still
      buying even though the cat has long been out of the bag.

The X79 motherboard never should have been released. NVidia
      was taken to the cleaners (if that is possible) for very few have ever been
      able to discover what it was that the owner had in his possession. And the Z77
      would never have been released with only 16 lanes because it was advertised
      based on an inability for true native Chipset X16 3.0 SLI.

Intel owes a lot of people a great number of answers. Intel
      has a Roadmap and from my experience working 'INSIDE" the corporate walls
      of a PC Corporation that interfaces with Intel on EVERYTHING, the information
      that the consumer will be forced to deal with after having spent his/her money,
      is information that had it been made known outside of the almighty NDA
      (non-disclosure agreement), not a single Z77 or X79 motherboard would have been
      purchased, or made for that matter.

I haven't even gotten started on the information that I have
      pulled together and the things that I believe, if they were collectively
      brought to one focal point by the millions of followers impacted by this
      terrible set of choices; a venue where all individual concerns were spoken
      though a voice that could not be ignored- who knows what would happen?

Image this: wouldn’t it be nice if Intel looked at the
      “IMPOSSIBLE” situation that millions of customers are trapped in and in a brief
      moment of compassion,  took a big right-hand-turn
      off the “Roadmap” and a decree came forth the “Holder of the Magic Key”, “ Give
      every loyal and trusted customers of ours that purchased a Sandy Bridge E CPU,
      a Brand New CPU that is all and more than the Sandy Bridge E could have been
      had we not gotten lost on our own Roadmap! After all it, is they, the gamer,
      the enthusiast, the home workstation small business owner, and the faithful and
      avid build-it-yourself loyal customers that have made us the great company that
      we are and why WE, Intel, have the power to withhold or to give! And to all Z77
      motherboard owners that were deprived of the ability to run a true Intel
      chipset that was a genuine 16 X PCIe 3.0 and X 16 PCIe 3.0 SLI; to each of
      these We will provide a $150 coupon off of their next motherboard purchased
      that uses an Intel CPU.

I used the word GAME above as all I can think of when I
      evaluate what all of these enormous companies have done to so many people who
      literally thought this was all about preparing for a make-believe game, but unknown
      to each; there was a real Kingdom with millions of indispensables. When you
      think about it, everything about this is an entangled mess with so many of
      these expensive components, costing millions, and yet necessary purchases to
      every person who hopes to win something, even if it might not be there!
      Everyone in life is in pursuit of “that Key” which will bring something that is
      often defined as “the thrill of victory”.

This GAME that needed great graphic cards, placed in magical
      motherboards, which were going to make possible the construction of cities,
      dungeons, hidden passageways, and ultra-fast and clear expressions of beings
      never yet before seen, all so that each person might be the first to the key. But
      they were never going to be able to find the real key for this was one GAME
      that only had one winner- He who held the ONLY copy of the ONE TRUE KEY that
      would unlock 1 1/2 years of advertising, spending, speculating, waiting,
      hoping, wasting, and most sadly "Trusting" customers.

The best I can come up with to explain this real-world
      tragedy that has cost so many so much, is that for years the multitudes have
      played and won and lost and played again, each time finding fulfillment and
      better experiences, that even when it was known that the real treasure couldn’t
      not be found, each one just kept on playing.