4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2013 10:05 PM by doreng

DZ77RE-75K randomly restarts by itself

EricL63

Hi,

I have the following problem with a DZ77RE-75K / 3770K CPU. The system will restart randomly in any delay between 1 hour and 10 days. I have this problem since I got the board with BIOS less than 61.

In BIOS 61, the fix list includes this item:

Fixed issue where computer powers down with certain graphics card and USB front panel card reader installed.

I was hoping this would be my problem (I have an nvidia GTX 670 and USB front panel SD card reader), but no. After upgrade to 61, and then 63, I still have it.

This is not a Windows software issue. Windows event log doesn't list any bug or crash as it would if there was a driver issue. Instead, I only have the following events generated after the computer restarts. It says: "system was restarted without having been normally shut down. This can happen in case of power failure"

However, my BIOS is set to keep the system off in case of power failure, and what happens is the computer simply restarts. Therefore, I don't believe this is a power supply problem, or the system would just power off and stay off. My conviction today is that only BIOS is able to restart the system in this way.

See below the frequency of occurence of the problem. The computer is always on during day, and put to sleep at night. It happened 17 times in the last 3 months. Not often, but pretty frustrating to work and know the system can fail any time, or not.

So, Intel support, what do you have say about that?

Windows event log:

Critique    07/04/2013 09:38:55    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    06/04/2013 21:46:59    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    01/04/2013 22:10:37    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    23/03/2013 13:52:04    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    21/03/2013 23:30:53    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    16/03/2013 13:36:00    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    12/03/2013 08:04:19    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    08/03/2013 18:57:57    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    28/02/2013 21:16:33    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    27/02/2013 08:33:14    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    24/02/2013 12:44:52    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    23/02/2013 19:18:45    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    03/02/2013 08:09:36    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    29/01/2013 00:00:54    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    21/01/2013 08:43:19    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    19/01/2013 12:21:23    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Critique    16/01/2013 07:13:57    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

Eric

• 1. Re: DZ77RE-75K randomly restarts by itself
          Ruben Ramos

Hi EricL63,

This problem you are facing have a wide variety of reasons, for example a grounding issue, to discard that, you can go ahead and test it out of the chassis.

Then the power supply can be also the problem about the voltages, or something relating the operating system, like the drivers, sometimes if you have 2 different drivers for the same hardware it might cause your motherboard to be restarted, I’ve seen in the past some cases that 2 audio drivers at a certain point makes a conflict in to each other and the computer restarts by itself.

Please try discarding these steps above first.

• 2. Re: DZ77RE-75K randomly restarts by itself
            EricL63

Hi Ruben,

I don't know how this question can have been marked as resolved, I haven't said anything in this direction. So I'll put it back to incorrect.

As I explained, I exclude the possibility of a power loss as in this case, the system would stay off. I have also set my BIOS 'voltages watchdog' setting to NOT shutdown in case of abnormal voltages, just in case there would be bug with this feature. I verified my voltages and they are perfectly in range. In addition, I use a high end 800w modular power supply, and the problem always happen in idle or near idle (less than 2% cpu usage), and it is thus very unlikely that there is a power problem.

As for the sofware issue, what you suggest is just not possible. There is no way the system can load 2 drivers for the same hardware. It doesn't work this way, drivers don't auto-instanciate, they are called by the system when hardware is detected. It is possible that a driver causes a kernel crash though, but in this case, that would be trapped by the kernel, logged to the eventlog and result in a blue screen.

I am myself a system and kernel software engineer, I understand how to build and install a system, hardware and software.

I tried to reset the BIOS by loading defaults. After doing that, my second screen started to flash to black and then back to normal at random (I have two DELL 2412M DVI on an nvidia GTX670). It looks like it looses the video signal, except that the screen doesn't say it has no video. After about one second, the video is normal again. I remember I had already seen this problem in the beginning and found other people have the same in some forum, and I remembered this could be worked around by disabling some devices in BIOS, which I had done back then. I couldn't remember which one though, and I don't have time to test one by one. So I disabled everything that I don't use: second SATA controller, second network adapter, PS1, Firewire, thunderbold, integrated video. After reboot, screen problem was gone. Anyway, let's now wait and see what happens after that BIOS reset.

I must also say that I have a previous bad experience with another famous-in-this-forum board: the DZ68BC. I have also had all the problems with the BIOS that many people complained about here (blue RAM slots don't work, integrated video doesn't work, machine doesn't boot or wake with err 20...). This is why I also have a strong suspicion that a BIOS bug is very possible with that DZ77RE-75K too.

• 3. Re: DZ77RE-75K randomly restarts by itself
              Ruben Ramos

Hi EricL63,

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. There may be insufficient information to explicitly define what happened. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred.

If event 41 is logged because power to the computer was interrupted, consider obtaining an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply. An underpowered or failing power supply may cause this behavior. For example, if you added RAM or additional devices or hard disks when this problem began, the power supply may cause the problem.

If you see that the computer generates a Stop error that contains a BugcheckCode value that is not reported in an event ID 41, change the restart behavior for the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
              2. Click Advanced system settings.
              3. Click the Advanced tab.
              4. In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
              5. Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

If the issue persists, contact the Intel® technical support to claim the warranty on this motherboard you have. Contact Support

• 4. Re: DZ77RE-75K randomly restarts by itself
                EricL63

Latest news:

- Resetting the BIOS to default settings didn't do any good. Machine restarted again after less than one day.

- I didn't add RAM or other devices: All I have is 4*4GB of RAM, an Intel SSD, and an nVidia GTX 670. This is powered by a high end Enermax 800 watts 87+ PSU. The problem always happens in idle, not in charge. I neither have external power problems, other computers or lights don't show any problem.

- Even though I am pretty certain it is not a Windows problem (there SHOULD be a blue screen or some log), I will leave the machine running under Ubuntu and see what happens.

I agree the grounding issue is a possibility, although the probability it exists is, IMO, very very small, as it would cause much more frequent and consistent problems.

• 5. Re: DZ77RE-75K randomly restarts by itself
                  doreng

Hi Ruben,

I am having a similar problem and going by the blogs on MS Win7 many others are too and blaming Win7.

To me it is either a high temp or faulty circuit causing intermittent problems.

I have a desktop PC I7 870 and today it shutdown 3 times but it is a cold day in Australia (17C).

My PC is Jan 2011 and at first it was not often but now is regular, several times a week and today 3 times.

I have a UPS so it is not external power.

This is what log says:

Log Name:      System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date: 22/05/2013 11:56:48

Event ID:      41

Task Category: (63)

Level: Critical

Keywords:      (2)

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      User-PC

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>2</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-22T01:56:48.296817200Z" />

<EventRecordID>166133</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>User-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>