2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2013 2:57 PM by Dan Seibold

DQ77MK mobo hangs on startup with USB 3.0 device connected

Dan Seibold

SYSTEM:  Running clean install of Win7 Pro 64-bit on a new Intel DQ77MK mobo with 32GB of installed and recognized 1333 DDR3 Corsair RAM.  Boot drive is Samsung 840 Pro SSD, with additional WD Black SATA 6 HDD's for data, etc.  Radeon HD 6670 (2GB) video card installed and drivers properly recognized by the OS.  All mobo drivers successfully installed via the Intel factory supplied disc, and all USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports are recognized & functioning "properly".  My BIOS ver. is "0054", but I have not updated to the latest "0058" simply because the release notes don't appear to address this PROBLEM in any way.

PROBLEM: IF I have an external drive plugged into any USB 3.0 port (front or rear panel) the system will hang at the opening Intel splash screen, on restarts or cold boots.  Unplugging the external USB 3 drive allows the system to (re)start and boot into OS perfectly.  I've already set boot priority to place internal C-drive as first boot device ... no fix.  I've disabled "boot from USB" option in BIOS ... no fix.  Further, it doesn't appear to matter what brand or size of external USB 3 drive is plugged into the system, as I experience the same problem with several different manufacturer's drives.  I have seen MANY similar problems posted on the internet associated with different brands of mobo's and different brands of devices / controllers ... yet I have NOT seen any definitive FIX to the problem.  The suggestion of disabling USB Legacy Support is unacceptable and would leave me with no USB KB or mouse at startup ... and this suggestion has yet to be proven effective.  The suggestion to simply wait until after you boot the computer to plug in the external drive is also unacceptable.  DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A REAL SOLUTION to this problem?

Any thoughts or constructive comments would be most appreciated.  - Dan (dnseibold@cbs.com)

• 1. Re: DQ77MK mobo hangs on startup with USB 3.0 device connected
          Victor_Intel

Hello Dan,

Currently the issue is related to the controller not able to recognized the drives Plug and Play ID during POST so the BIOS freezes trying to recognize it.

The issue is reported and we are working on the solution.

I will like to congratulate you because you are one of the few that will check the release notes to know if the BIOS update will fix the issue that you are experiencing and if its worth to take the risk to update it for only having the newest.

I encourage you to keep checking the release notes until a fix is released and when you do update the BIOS, remember to do it in steps, do not jump to the latest version directly and I try using the recovery method.

Regards.

• 2. Re: DQ77MK mobo hangs on startup with USB 3.0 device connected
            jiejie

This Intel's engineer implies that updating to the newest bios is not always welcome

• 3. Re: DQ77MK mobo hangs on startup with USB 3.0 device connected
              Dan Seibold

Victor ... Many thanks for your reply. I look forward to a firmware release that clears up this annoying problem.  I also find it interesting that - when the appropriate time arrives - you recommend applying ALL BIOS updates (versions released after my current version) rather than "jumping ahead" and simply applying the most recent update.  On what do you base that advice?  I would have thought that all Intel BIOS updates are cumulative and incorporate all previous updates within the latest version, in much the same way as MS Service Packs.  I ALSO find it interesting that you recommend using the "Recovery BIOS Update" method as opposed to the "Express Update" method.  Is this simply because Recovery method is considered "safer" than the Express method?

- Dan