2 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 9:32 AM by rgbautista

DP43TF and 8GB RAM limit

rgbautista

Hi, guys,

Going through the technical documents, it's stated that the maximum RAM that can be installed on the DP43TF is 8GB.  However in the specifications of the Intel P43 chipset, it's stated that the chipset has a 16GB limit.  Just a couple of questions (for now) :

1. What is restricting the DP43TF motherboard to accomodate more than 8GB of RAM?

2. If I install the total RAM of 8GB (2GB x 4) on the motherboard while using a 64-bit OS like Windows 7 or Vista 64, can my OS and other applications utilize the entire 8GB without overlapping with other devices like video cards and other PCI or PCI express cards?

• 1. Re: DP43TF and 8GB RAM limit
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Regarding the limitations in the memory size, it may be down to the bios not able to support it possibly. On this one, hopefully someone else can give an exact answer. Look at the board DX58SO, it was not working with 4 X 4GB before, now it is working with a new bios.

Now since you are using 8 Gb memory, there is something that is good to know.

Memory Limits in Windows
          =========================
          Limits on memory and address space vary by platform and operating system. Typically, 32-bit versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista are limited to 4GB. To take advantage of system memory greater than 4GB, all the following components must support 64-bit:

Operating System
          Chipset
          Processor (EM64T)
          Refer to Enabling 64-bit Desktop Computing

In addition, the 32-bit versions of Windows will reserve a portion of memory for critical system functions such as chipset, BIOS flash, PCI Express, etc. If you have 4GB installed, Windows will indicate less than 4GB is available (example: 3.24GB).

Your desktop board’s Technical Product Specification includes a detailed system memory address map.
          Website: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dp43tf/sb/CS-029161.htm

I know for sure that if you are using 8gb memory, on some desktop board without onboard graphics and windows xp 64 bits, the memory will be 7.93 GB in Windows, which is pretty good.

Now if you would like to have some more information on Windows 32 bit and 64 bit, may be you can check on this website:
          http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/Help/41531554-d5ef-4f2c-8fb9-149bdc5c8a701033.mspx

Hope these information will be of some help to you.

Kind Regards,
          Aryan

• 2. Re: DP43TF and 8GB RAM limit
            rgbautista

Hi Aryan,

Thanks for the reply.  It would really be great if it's just a BIOS update. That means there's the possibility of installing more than 8GB.  If the BIOS is not the limiting factor then I hope someone can shed more light on this limitation.

Regards,

Ramon