1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 9:45 AM by john_s@intel

Over 1000 "blocks with media errors" in Intel Rapid Storage Technology

taxidriver1138

I'm currently running verification on my RAID 10 array in Intel RST and so far it has 1108 blocks with media errors. I seems to be stuck at 8%. I've been searching online and I can't seem to find any information on what to do to fix blocks with media errors or what exactly they are. I attached a screen shot below. When I started the verification all the drives in the RAID array were "Normal" but then once it got past 1000 blocks with media errors, that second drive over the right became "at risk". Are the blocks with media errors related to that drive? If anyone has any advice on what to do to solve this I'd appreciate it.

RAID_Issues.JPG

• 1. Re: Over 1000 "blocks with media errors" in Intel Rapid Storage Technology
          john_s@intel

You can use the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Verify and Repair Volume Feature.

The RAID volume verification feature identifies any inconsistencies or bad data on a RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, or RAID 10 volume and reports the number of inconsistencies or number of blocks with media errors found during RAID volume data verification.

When the verification process is complete, a dialog will appear that displays the number of verification errors, verification errors repaired and blocks with media errors that were found.

Follow the below steps to start RAID volume data verification:

1. Under 'Status' or 'Manage' click on the RAID volume you want to perform the verify operation under 'storage system view'. The volume properties now display on the left.

2. Click on 'Advanced' and then Click on 'Verify'

3. For RAID 0 the verification process starts once you click 'verify'. For RAID 1, 5, 10, Recovery volumes, a dialog box with check box option to repair the errors found automatically during the verification process is present. If the user wants to perform repair you can select this box and then click 'verify'.

4. The verification progress is shown under 'status'

5. When the verification process is complete and the volume status is set to normal. Now you can click on the volume under 'status' or 'manage'. Under the volume properties to the left under 'Advanced' you can view the number of verification errors, verification errors repaired and blocks with media errors that were found.

Regards,

John