4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 5:45 PM by M98Ranger

SMBus Controller driver install takes a long time

dlamb

This is my first time using the Intel Chipset Device Software.  I have a Mobile 945 series chipset, on a Windows XP Professional SP3 system -- a Dell Latitude D620.  I had a yellow question mark on the SMBus Controller in Device Manager, so following the directions on the Intel site I downloaded the software updater.

Everything went well until it got to the actual SMBus Controller installation (there were SATA, USB, & PCIE drivers installed).  I get the following last two lines:

Installing Driver: Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family SMBus Controller - 27DA

Version: 9.1.1.1016

and then a progress meter that gets all the way to the end of the box, maybe 100 small black dots, before it starts over again.  The progress bar has restarted many times--at least 10 times by now.  Is it supposed to take this long, or is that a sign of trouble?  There's no obvious way to cancel the process.

Thanks!

Derek

• 1. Re: SMBus Controller driver install takes a long time
          Diego_Intel

There is not an estimated time on how long this would install, this may depend in the system being used, other applications running in the back ground.and antivirus or execution protection software running in the system.

• 2. Re: SMBus Controller driver install takes a long time
            dlamb

Well, all the other drivers installed just fine.  It ran overnight doing the same thing--it's now been going nearly 12 hours.  In Device Manager there is no SMBus Controller in the "Other Devices" section with a yellow question mark & exclamation point anymore, but there is a line for "SMBus Controller - 27DA" in the System Devices section.  So that is good.

Any idea on what would be installed next if it were to somehow finish this step?  Is there any harm in rebooting the system at this point before the installation has finished?

• 3. Re: SMBus Controller driver install takes a long time
              Diego_Intel

The Intel Chipset Device Software is an application that loads a set of dll files to the operating system to properly name the hardware in the system, this is not actually a chipset driver package. In that case there would be no harm on restarting the system at this point. What does not seem normal is that time that it has been taking to install in your computer.

• 4. Re: SMBus Controller driver install takes a long time
                M98Ranger

I had the same problem.  I was running it on a fresh Win 7x64 Ultimate  ....Sony Vaio Laptop.  To fix it I killed the process using process explorer (restarting the computer would work too).  Then I navigated to the Intel Chipset Device Software installation file (exe).

1. Select the installation file
                2. Right-click on the installation file
                3. Select "Properties" at the bottom of the right-click dialog that opens up.
                4. Select the "Compatibility" tab from the dialog that opens up next.
                5. Select "Change Settings for all Users"
                6. In the "Compatibility Mode" group place a check mark by "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
                7. The drop-down for selecting your current OS will become selectable.
                8. In my case I went straight to the bottom and selected "Windows 7"
                9. For good measure (maybe not necessary or advisable) I I put a check mark by "Run this program as an administrator" located at the bottom of the same dialog in the "Privilege Level" group.
                10. Click "Apply" in the bottom right corner.
                11. Click Ok
                12. Click Ok (again)

Run the program again and it should work a lot better.  The problem for me was that it was set to run in compatibility mode for WIndows XP.  I am guessing that this is some sort of industry standard technique that is meant to kick off the Windows OS Compatibility Troubleshooter if conflicts arise.  But it sometimes doesn't work.  Please correct me (someone who knows better), if the above information is erroneous.

1 of 1 people found this helpful