1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2013 3:51 AM by Fernando

Windows 8 infinite reboot loop

Christophe De Troyer

Hello,

I've got a question about my system. I recently upgraded to windows 8 and now I'm stuck with a reboot loop. It's quite a story so I'll elaborate.

First I've installed Windows 8 as a clean install. I downloaded all the proper drivers from the Asus website for windows 8.

Now when I boot my machine it show the windows 8 flag, then start flickering, like superfast reboot or something I managed to fix this error previously by downgrading to a previous version of my BIOS, which now seems like a very bad idea. It worked for a few weeks and now I came home and it was back at it.

I tried installing the IRST (when I search for Z68 in Intel download center), but that didn't work. Then I copied the driver OVER the original driver in windows/system 32/drivers to make sure it was the correct one, but that didnt help much either.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue and I don't know how to fix it. Therefore I'm asking you guys to guide me on fixing this.

Any help is grealy appreciated!!

After trying around some stuff I eventually got this error: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL. This is new though

The drivers I recently installed were the following:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P8Z68-V

(the bios latest bios update, this one contains a version of IRST too!)

But first I tried this version of IRST found here:

Intel Download Center

and last but not least, I also tried a new driver for my graphics card found on the NVIDIA website.

System specs:

Asus P8Z68-V

Intel Core I5 2500K

Kingston 6 GB DDR3 PC10600

OCZ Vertex 3 60 GB

Two other hdd's, all configured as AHCI, not RAID

• 1. Re: Windows 8 infinite reboot loop
          Fernando

Christophe De Troyer schrieb:

First I've installed Windows 8 as a clean install. I downloaded all the proper drivers from the Asus website for windows 8.

Now when I boot my machine it show the windows 8 flag, then start flickering, like superfast reboot or something I managed to fix this error previously by downgrading to a previous version of my BIOS, which now seems like a very bad idea.

It would have been better to find out the reason for the BSOD before doing anything else.

You can prevent the infinite reboot loop by hitting the "Don't reboot at system failure" F8 option while booting. This way you will get the exact error message, which may indicate the reason for the BSOD.

Christophe De Troyer schrieb:

Then I copied the driver OVER the original driver in windows/system 32/drivers to make sure it was the correct one, but that didnt help much either.

That was a big mistake. You should never try to update a driver by replacing it manually from within the WINDOWS}SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder, where all currently in use drivers are stored. This way you got a mismatch between the registry settings and the reality, which automaticly will induce a system failure.

A driver update should be done either by running the installer of a driverpack or manually from within the Device Manager.

My advice:

Reflash the actual mainboard BIOS and redo a fresh Win8 installation. Once the OS is up you can install the best suitable Intel RST driver package (my recommendation: v11.2.0.1006 WHQL).

1 of 1 people found this helpful