1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2009 1:24 AM by Aryan2411

RAID 5 failed after upgrading mobo BIOS

Help!

We have a system with a MSI 7514 motherboard that uses the Intel Matrix RAID Controller. We upgraded the board BIOS, the system booted into Windows and we noticed our RAID5 volume had disappeared and 2 additional drives were listed in Windows server 2003 R2. On clicking Windows advised they were not formatted and offered to do the deed which we refused. We rebooted and realised that the RAID array had not been set to RAID. We did this however our RAID 5 array is shown as failed and Drive 0 and Drive 5 (6 disk array) are shown as non RAID disks. I believe I cannot rebuild the array as 2 drives are missing. The drives show as Non RAID disks in the Intel console and I can only add as SPARE.

All the data should be on the drives but I can see no way of adding them back into the array. It has important data on it that I may not have a backup of....don't lecture me!  Please can anyone advise of a method of rebuilding this Array.

• 1. Re: RAID 5 failed after upgrading mobo BIOS
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Basically, i think if the raid status is shown as RAID5 - Failed in the Oprom bios. This means that there is no more RAID configuration. Failed RAID notify that a disk drive that is part of a virtual disk,has failed and is no longer usable.

Note: If the drives are shown as failed, do not re-use a failed drive.
                When using raid, it is always advisable to have same model of drives with the same firmware revision.

Try to downgrade the BIOS and see if it helps

You can do these tests on another identical system, or system that has same ICH like the current board.
          There are software for RAID RECOVERY, try to look for any.

Before doing any tests:
          =======================
          Usually, it is best to have a back up before performing any test as RAID is not backup. Anything can happen in practical.

1. Reboot the system into the RAID Oprom Bios
             Aim: to see if the raid status can be shown as DEGRADED
             If the array is showing as failed, follow these steps:
             a) Disconnect the first drive and check for the raid status

b) Reconnect the first drive, disconnect the second drive and check for the raid status

c) Reconnect the second drive, disconnect the third drive and check for the raid status

2. If the array is showing as failed in the 3 case scenario from above, try the same test again.

Try to connect the drives onto another identical motherboard with exactly the same board revision and same firmware revision and connect the drives to same sata ports as in the original machine.

Aim: to see if the raid status can be shown as DEGRADED
             a) Disconnect the first drive and check for the raid status

b) Reconnect the first drive, disconnect the second drive and check for the raid status

c) Reconnect the second drive, disconnect the third drive and check for the raid status

3. Perform a Verified Backup if the raid status is shown as degraded hopefully.

4. If the drives are not online or recognised:
             It can be due:
             Failed physical drive.
             Excessive number of hard drive grown defects or hard drive block redirection events.
             Data bus errors.
             Power interruptions or an unexpected reboot.
             Hard drive thermal issues.

5. Check power supply and power connections.
             Check cables for proper installation, type, and length.
             Check cable routing, reseat cable connectors.
             Replace if faulty.
             Review the firmware versions for the hard drive - check if there is any new firmware revision on the particular drive's website
             Caution: It may not be possible to recover from a failed array.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind Regards,
          Aryan.