cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

520 SDD incompatible with LSI2308 on SuperMicro X9DA7, W2012

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've been banging my head against a wall trying to get an Intel 520 240GB ssd to work with the LSI2308 SAS controller built in to the SuperMicro X9DA7. I am running Windows Server 2012. The adapter sees the SSD, but I can't format it - disk manager just hangs.

I have also tried a 120GB 520 - it quick formats after an unusually long time. However, if I try to run the SSD toolbox diagnostic scan it throws a read error almost instantly. The 240 also throws a read error in the toolbox.

I can take these drives and attach them to the SATA controller that hangs off the C602 chipset and they format just fine and pass the full diagnostics, so it comes down to incompatibility with the SAS controller. Any ideas on how to address this? SM's support is mute.

As to troubleshooting: the X9DA7 came with LSI 2308 P13 firmware installed. I have upgraded to P14 firmware and tried the controller with both the IR (raid) and IT (HBA) versions. I've used both the out of box drivers and versions 2.00.57, 2.00.58, and 2.00.60 of the LSI drivers. Same result.

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for your post. The issue you describe indeed appears to be a compatibility issue. In these cases just as you did, you would try different drivers/firmware for the controller; see if you a recent BIOS update adds compatibility. We usually do not recommend using single SSDs on any RAID or SAS controller since the specific SSD would need to be listed on the compatible/tested hardware list of the controller.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you Nathalie,

I tried both SSDSC2BW240A3 and SSDSC2BW120A3. I would have thought the 120 would work as SM lists SSDSC2BW120A3FE as compatible here (second down from the top): http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/HDD/display.cfm?Category=MB&sz=S.&ctrl=59&id=A26C5975FC6... Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support | Resources

I will attempt take it up again with SuperMicro, though the online support has been unresponsive so far.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Did Supermicro respond to you yet?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Roguesmci,

No, SM has been silent and absolutely useless. No replies, no support.

That said, I tried a Samsung 840 pro in the same hot swap bay and it works like a champ. The Intel 520's are relegated to hanging off the Intel C602 SCU ports and I'm moving on because I don't have the time to argue with Intel, SM, and LSI over why their stuff doesn't work. Seriously, it is about as incestuous as it gets = LSI owns Sandforce, Intel implements the Sandforce controller in their SSD, SM buys their SAS controller from LSI, and low and behold - the LSI stuff doesn't work and Intel and SM point at the sky when you ask them why it doesn't work because they have no clue. I might think this a valid reason to short LSI stock.