3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 5:42 PM by liquid98

D945GCPE and sata problem

s.acer

Hi,

i have a D945GCPE intel mobo and i recently purchased a seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 200-GB Hard Drive. I installed windows XP pro SP2 on it with no problems. But after the installation i started noticing a slowliness  in drive response time. in the windows event log i have a lot of rubbish warning messages with the keyword atapi which seems to be connected to SATA. The technical specfication of the motherboard on intel website's says that it supports two Serial ATA channels (3.0 Gb/s) via ICH7 so apparently there's a SATA-enabled controller on the mobo if i understand properly, seagate says their hard drive supports 3Gb/s SATA too.

I have been looking all over intel's website for a suitable driver but i could not find any.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

• 1. Re: D945GCPE and sata problem
          isit

Beyond installing the Intel chipset driver, the only possibilty may be a firmware update from Seagate but it is unlikely to be required.

Try testing different SATA cables and ports and make sure no other SATA devices are connected (like optical drives).

Do you have one 200GB partition?

When you say slow response time - can you explain exactly why you think it is slow?

Is this drive an OS drive or a data drive?

• 2. Re: D945GCPE and sata problem
            Aryan2411

Hi there,

Actually it is quite stange as the sata does not need to have a driver, unless if a sata controller is configured as RAID or AHCI.

So i will suggest you to make sure that you have the latest BIOS version 0069.

And make sure that you have the latest drivers versions download from the website.
            Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2838

Try to run a check on your disk to see if everything is fine. Usually you may get your hard disk tool from the Manufacturer Seagate.

Hopefully, someone else will give some more light as well.

Kind Regards,
            Aryan.

• 3. Re: D945GCPE and sata problem
              liquid98

Hi intel people,

I have exactly the same problem as  s.acer, but I use the Vertex Turbo from ocz (Rated 240 MB/s).

I use the latest firmware for the disk, and the latest Bios update for the D945GSEJT bord.

The disk is in AHCI mode with the Intel Driver, it maxes out at Read: 140 MB/s and write 120 MB/s.

Please Help.